Gaming Hielor's Minecraft Server

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
wow cool! your guys' buildings and roads are amazing! my home world looks so primitive in comparison I feel like Ive visited an advanced civilization! can you add me? my alias is statickid

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
wow cool! your guys' buildings and roads are amazing! my home world looks so primitive in comparison I feel like Ive visited an advanced civilization! can you add me? my alias is statickid

Added.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Internet worked just long enough to get a little peek at the new world. Laughed so hard at seeing this:

2011-12-16_15.10.25.png

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
As the current unofficial Mayor of the spawn point (I did build the commune, roads and farms), I would like to announce a design competition.

You are to design and build a short (5-10 blocks long) prototype wall that will be built to surround the city.
A few considerations:
  • It must be mob proof, including enderman and spiders
  • It must be lit up
  • It must use easy to get materials
Based on these criteria the building materials are basically limited to:
  • Sandstone
  • Cobblestone
  • Stone
  • Stone Brick
  • Netherack
  • Wood (Inc Timber, Logs and Fences) (*)
  • Netherbrick (*)
  • Glass (*)
  • Glowstone (*)

Items marked with (*) indicate they will require a smart design to use.

Please build your test wall near (with 200m) of the spawn, so I don't have to walk far.

Separately, I am also looking for a gatehouse design. It has to be mob proof and lit up but it can use less common blocks.

I will allow a maximum of one week from now until I pick a winner.

Good luck

(Note: Commune rules also coming soon)

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
You Built them? I thought Woo had. Shows how little I know about our server's politics. I would like to know Helior's stance on this, but regardless I was planning on walling off the valley I've built my house in, so I should be able to come up with something

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I haven't built anything for the commune this time :p I am building a fairly large farm just outside of the city though, so I should be able to help stock the commune with food.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You Built them? I thought Woo had. Shows how little I know about our server's politics. I would like to know Helior's stance on this, but regardless I was planning on walling off the valley I've built my house in, so I should be able to come up with something
I don't really get involved in this kind of thing. All I do is get involved if someone is causing trouble for someone else, or if something is broken. There haven't actually been many problems at all, and I've needed to use admin powers like three times.

My attitude in this case is similar to how it was in the old world: People are free to create cities or whatever and include or exclude whoever they want. As I stated in the first post, the only real rule is "no griefing."

On a related note, would people be interested in me adding some kind of city management plugin like Towny?

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
On a related note, would people be interested in me adding some kind of city management plugin like Towny?

No, not really

I am quite happy for people to build what ever and where ever they want. All I request is that people building near the spawn and commune put some effort into their creation. (IE make it look like it belongs)

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

Forgot to add:

Please post the co-ords of your entry here.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Some Screenshots of the new world.
picture.php

The commune, Stargate, and some of the new construction.

picture.php

The Spire

picture.php

I was not even mining for gold just digging a ditch for a mob farm and came across this.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
How to be a good commune member

As we are now in a new world, here are some guidelines for using the new commune:

The top level will always be public. The resources located here are the most common or the most useful. They should be enough for most people to start out.

The second level may become restricted. This will occur if there is abuse of the commune resources. I do not want this to happen, but the option is there.

The third level is the vault. The cost of a vault is 1 iron door plus 2 buttons, levers or pressure plates. Please take the effort of mining these yourself. Stealing some from the commune is not nice. At this stage any person can request a vault. All you have to do is place your door and buttons etc. Please ask me before though.

Preference is for those that don't have a permanent home (IE if you only want to mine or explore). You are free to modify the floor and back wall as you please. Out of respect to your fellow inhabitants, please mine down initially from the vault. Members of the vault are expected to contribute to the commune resources.

On commune resources
Please only take what you need. Try and only take up to half the resources in a chest. If you have a big project, please select a project chest. Put a sign next to the project sign. List the name of the project and materials that you require.

In donating resources first fill any project chests.
For top level items first fill the top level chests, once they are full select an unsigned chest on the second level. Items that are not named on the top level should go to the preferred chest on the second level. If you are not sure, please ask. Finally if all the chests are full you may keep all of that resource in your private chests.

If everyone follows these simple guidelines, the commune will be able to service everyone without restrictions.

Future posts will include instructions on how to use the farms.

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My 'standard wall type 1' fits pretty nicely. Double-thick to block creepers, as well-lit as needed, has a walkway sheltered from skeleton arrows and an overhang blocking spiders.

Can't log on to the server for the time being so here are pictures.

Cross-section:
2011-12-17_08.18.55.png

Corner:
2011-12-17_08.19.57.png

Upslope from outside, with torches:
2011-12-17_08.21.37.png

Upslope from inside with torches; notice stairs:
2011-12-17_08.22.30.png

At night, outside; decent lighting:
2011-12-17_08.22.54.png

At night, view from inside; decent lighting:
2011-12-17_08.23.06.png

Can be embellished as desired:
2011-12-17_08.31.15.png

Castle made with the design:
2011-12-17_08.32.03.png

Pablo49

Reaction score
Internet worked just long enough to get a little peek at the new world. Laughed so hard at seeing this:

2011-12-16_15.10.25.png
That's Jeff. He watches The LBJ Memorial Homestead when I am away. :thumbup:

All I request is that people building near the spawn and commune put some effort into their creation. (IE make it look like it belongs)
Personally, there is some stuff being made in cobble-only that are starting to become an eyesore. Namely the mountain by spawn.

Also, good work tl8 on getting the commune going. I must say I'm glad my mountain-top base didn't turn into the commune overnight like it did last world. :lol:

Chaser

Reaction score
After many failed expeditions, I finally found snow on the server!

H0Vfg.jpg

63mog.jpg

9YzOX.jpg

The inaugural snowball fight!

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
My small underground tree farm.

Attachments

• 2011-12-17_17.19.44.jpg
    2011-12-17_17.19.44.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 28

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
Still ready to chime in anytime soon. But currently not feeling building anything on my own. If anyone has interest in a cooperative project, PM me.

Chub777

Reaction score
Please post the co-ords of your entry here.

My one is roughly at:
X:-153
Y:67
Z:492

The wall is 1-3 blocks thick. The flaming netherrack is used to kill or damage mobs. Endermen also can't move netherrack.

2011-12-18_143720.png

The "unactivated" wall.

Spiders take fire damage (due to the netherrack) if they climb the wall. If they're still alive by the time they reach top of the wall, they meet the 2 block cobble-rack overhang. As a last resort, the tip of the overhang (the netherrack part) is also set on fire to kill mobs that somehow get past (and also produces light).

2011-12-18_150753.png

The "activated" wall.

Torches can be placed on the wall in 5 block intervals. The wall design should be easy to construct and easy to get the resources.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
My one is roughly at:
X:-153
Y:67
Z:492

The wall is 1-3 blocks thick. The flaming netherrack is used to kill or damage mobs. Endermen also can't move netherrack.

2011-12-18_143720.png

The "unactivated" wall.

Spiders take fire damage (due to the netherrack) if they climb the wall. If they're still alive by the time they reach top of the wall, they meet the 2 block cobble-rack overhang. As a last resort, the tip of the overhang (the netherrack part) is also set on fire to kill mobs that somehow get past (and also produces light).

2011-12-18_150753.png

The "activated" wall.

Torches can be placed on the wall in 5 block intervals. The wall design should be easy to construct and easy to get the resources.

I can see a problem with that design allready. Who is going to go round and light all the netherrack, and how much flint and steel will this take?

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Is it possible to add markers to the server map?
I've build a base in a tundra biome, and some shelters on the way to it, as you can't get there in one day. Would be nice if there would be markers to find them.
I tried this commands, but it doesn't work.

Mattyv

Rocket Scientist in Training
Reaction score
Me and my brother are sharing an account until I can buy one. Can you add us: nickname is nosydog.

:tiphat:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Me and my brother are sharing an account until I can buy one. Can you add us: nickname is nosydog.

:tiphat:

With a situation like that, be absolutely sure your brother isn't one to grief or "help". It really sucks to have your account banned for something you didn't do.