Gaming Hielor's Minecraft Server

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have a theory about the floating tree tops. You might not have noticed, but underneath the floating tree tops are craters. If creepers explode near trees, the top part is unharmed. Not sure if my theory is true, but it seems possible.
That may be the case for some trees, but most are very clearly manually removed--in some cases the trunk was removed inside the leaves up to the highest level you could reach from ground level.

It's extremely easy to not do this. For starters, when you go to remove a tree, start at the second block, so you can stand on the first block to reach higher. Also carry sand or dirt to pillar your way up (replace wood with sand/dirt) until you've gotten the top wood block, then dig out the sand/dirt and take out the last wood block.

As I've mentioned before, if this continues to be a problem I'll have to find a mod to fix it.
What about sandstone?
Better than sand, and both are better than cobble, but as Pablo pointed out, buildings of sandstone look rather out of place in a forest biome.

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
SOON.

My underwater subway will emerge. I will need some help there. But I'll provide materials!

---------- Post added at 05:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 AM ----------

Better than sand, and both are better than cobble, but as Pablo pointed out, buildings of sandstone look rather out of place in a forest biome.

Depends... if you mark the plot in a way that it is sand ground anyway, plant a few cacti... it actually looks decent. May provide a PoC at some time.

EDIT:

Hmm, now I get a 502 code when trying to join the server?

Last edited:

ElTaco

Reaction score
As I've mentioned before, if this continues to be a problem I'll have to find a mod to fix it.

I believe there is a mod called Timber! which breaks the full tree if the bottom block is removed.

Edit:

Also got the 502 error :(

Last edited:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Me too. TL8 and Chub are currently online though... odd.

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
I think it's a problem with the central minecraft login server (can't login to other servers either, same error). Hopefully resolved soon...

---------- Post added at 05:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 AM ----------

Code:
05:56 -!- Channel #minecraft created Thu Aug 26 13:39:31 2010
05:56 -!- Irssi: Join to #minecraft was synced in 1 secs
05:56 < blane> hi. is something broken?
05:56 < Evangon> Auth server's broke
05:56 < Evangon> No one can log into a server.
05:57 < Evangon> Technical Details: Were all getting 503's when trying to auth to session.minecraft.net/randomcraphere

So, yeah. Standby... :)

Chub777

Reaction score
While we wait here are some screenshots:

2011-12-19_132409.png

2011-12-19_140140.png

I've also decided to completely re-build my town hall:

2011-12-20_154006.png

2011-12-20_154043.png

End result:
2011-12-20_154356.png

ElTaco

Reaction score
great pics Chubs,

the second one really has some artistic flair

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
While we wait here are some screenshots

Hmmm, much fire near woods.. did you burn anything down? :lol:

Anyway, my last and only screenshot of today was this:

picture.php

I was killed in Lava shortly after :(

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I believe there is a mod called Timber! which breaks the full tree if the bottom block is removed.

Yes, that's the kind of thing Hielor's threatening to install. But if he ends up feeling he has to install it because of people leaving floating treetops, forests might be wiped out by Endermen in quite short order, which is why he hasn't installed it yet.

Chub777

Reaction score
Yes, that's the kind of thing Hielor's threatening to install. But if he ends up feeling he has to install it because of people leaving floating treetops, forests might be wiped out by Endermen in quite short order, which is why he hasn't installed it yet.

Endermen can't pick up logs now.

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
Actually there is an easy ingame fix for floating treetops: Flint & Iron *hides* :lol:

---------- Post added at 08:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

It has been fixed, login works again \o/

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Endermen can't pick up logs now.
What Chub said.

Actually, it looks like there's a version of that kind of mod that causes logs to fall down (similar to gravel, sort of) when things below are removed--I think I'd go for one like that, so you can't hit one log and get the tree for free.

Alternately, there's another one that just periodically scans for and removes floating trees.

In any case, it would be easiest if people would just take care of them themselves...

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
I think, actually it's a MC issue.

It's a bug. If you cut down a tree, even if you forget some "upper wood", the tree should fade away (may take longer than if only leaves are left). Because this is always an annoying issue everywhere.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I think, actually it's a MC issue.

It's a bug. If you cut down a tree, even if you forget some "upper wood", the tree should fade away (may take longer than if only leaves are left). Because this is always an annoying issue everywhere.
It's not a bug, this is intentional.

IN OTHER NEWS
I have located the stronghold and activated the End Portal. Unfortunately, the portal took me to the Nether instead. Theoretically the newest build of Multiverse fixes this, and I'll be updating the plugins tomorrow morning when the server pop is low. Just be warned that if you take the End Portal you'll not end up where you expect.

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
It's not a bug, this is intentional.

Yes, yes. Been there. Discussed it with MC people in annoying detail.

I have no idea if this is still a problem, but it 1.5 and earlier there were "funny trees". Sometimes there was a piece of wood somewhere up the tree that was not straight up the trunk, but kind of hidden in the leaves one or two blocks off. Easy to miss (sometimes even impossible to see). I don't know if this is still an issue.

But either way, if a tree has no support from the ground, it should vanish over time. Who called it a feature? For all I know, notch himself is not necessarily happy with that behavior.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
...start at the second block, so you can stand on the first block to reach higher. Also carry sand or dirt to pillar your way up (replace wood with sand/dirt) until you've gotten the top wood block, then dig out the sand/dirt and take out the last wood block.

This is my preferred method. At most, usually only takes 1-2 blocks of dirt to get the job done.

This is at least one of the minor reasons I started my small (6 trees) underground tree farm. Don't have to worry about getting interrupted by a creeper or spider while cutting them down, and even if I did, I'm close to my spawn so I can go fix it quickly, even though I'm the only one that can see them.

I always have plenty of planks, and I try to make it a point to drop at least one stack a day at the commune.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
IN OTHER NEWS
I have located the stronghold and activated the End Portal. Unfortunately, the portal took me to the Nether instead. Theoretically the newest build of Multiverse fixes this, and I'll be updating the plugins tomorrow morning when the server pop is low. Just be warned that if you take the End Portal you'll not end up where you expect.

Wait, you've collected enough ender pearls and Blaze powder to open the End allready!?! We should all gather together and take the ender dragon on in one big climactic battle.