Poll How do you read new threads on the forum?

How do you read new threads on the forum?

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • Today's Posts Link

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Recent Post Stats Box on Homepage

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • Browsing Individual Forums

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Another way

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters

Reaction score
1. The "New Posts" link, which shows all new/updated threads in all forums

2. Today's Posts link

3. Recent Post Stats Box on Homepage

4. Browsing individual forums

5. Another way

Last edited:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I updated the poll for you.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Only posts I tend to read are those in the "latest posts" box on the front of the home page.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I use the recent posts box, clicking the "jump to first unread" link. When there are more new posts than fit in that box, I use the "New Posts" link to browse the rest.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I hit new posts every few minutes. It is my only means of seeing new threads.
Should that break because of timeouts and unwanted page loads I use Today's posts.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Interesting to see how many people are using the recent post stats box on the home page. I didn't think so many people used it! :p

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Of your options, #3 "Recent Post Stats Box on Homepage" fitted me closest. My order of checking new stuff when visiting O-F is usually more like this:

1. PMs
2. UserCP|My Replies
3. Recent Post Stats Box on Homepage
4. Today's Posts
5. Back to Recent Post Stats Box on Homepage. Rinse and repeat until satiated :p

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Interesting to see how many people are using the recent post stats box on the home page. I didn't think so many people used it! :p

I am quite surprised as well.

It seems most people load the homepage just for that one feature. This causes a lot of unnecessary load. Removing it from the homepage and making it in its pure form more accessible would probably lower the load considerably.

How about introducing a uniform new posts button with it's destination configurable in the UserCP?

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
Maybe this is a bit uncommon but I almost everytime use the Todays Posts search.:) I don't know why...

Last edited:

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
I glance at the latest posts box at the top of the homepage. If that is 'full', ie, all threads in it have new posts, I go to the "New Posts" page and click through from there. If not, I just click through from the "latest posts" box.

flying coffin

Reaction score
I use the recent posts homepage box mostly. One thing that the new posts link provides that I like though, is the ability to jump directly to the last (most recent)
page of the thread.

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
When I not use Todays Post search I use the lastes Posts but only if it isn't full.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I am quite surprised as well.

It seems most people load the homepage just for that one feature. This causes a lot of unnecessary load. Removing it from the homepage and making it in its pure form more accessible would probably lower the load considerably.

How about introducing a uniform new posts button with it's destination configurable in the UserCP?

Actually that recent posts box isn't really a huge hit. It's mostly handled with AJAX, which is why sometimes you will notice that the home page has finished loading, but the recent posts box is still loading the content. I was talking to Vash about that last night as we couldn't understand why it lagged so much other than the fact it's providing a lot of different stats from new posts, new blog entries, social group discussions, new members, top threads, etc. and by using AJAX it allows users to view all those different stats without needing to reload the entire page.

Unstung

Reaction score
I usually just check this forum, Off-Topic. The other forums aren't that active and I don't have too much to contribute compared to many other Orbitnauts.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com

Well I use the reload button next to the latest posts if I want to reload the latest posts, but I dont know about everyone else...

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Well I use the reload button next to the latest posts if I want to reload the latest posts, but I dont know about everyone else...

This wouldn't work with New posts i.e. as it generates a search and takes you to a new URL for this specific search.