• Total voters

unussapiens

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
nickgrant.id.au
5 minutes!?!

All they really consist of in Melbourne, Australia is: Today the space shuttle Endeavour lifted off from Florida. It is taking the Columbus module to the International space station.

And you even get a picture if your lucky.

Also, I'm 14

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Those must be the days...Now you are lucky if they do a 5 minute coverage of the Shuttle launches..
Yes, but thanks to the Internet and NASATV you can now have better mission coverage than you could ever have hoped for in the sixties. :speakcool:

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Those must be the days...Now you are lucky if they do a 5 minute coverage of the Shuttle launches..

For TV coverage >5 min, you need one or more of the following:

1. A cryo stir gone bad.

2. An O-ring failure.

3. A broken tile.

Ahh...what sad times are these...:mad:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Re. comments above about spaceflight coverage, our dear national news supplier, the BBC, had coverage of the un-docking of the current shuttle flight. It was shorter than the item about the retirement of a donkey that performed with the Kirov Ballet Compay.
Yes, a real donkey, it wasn't on points though.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7311990.stm

I can remember the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs quite well, and the coverage they had. We didn't have a tv untill Apolllo got going, but the radio and newspaper/magazine coverage was good. The tv coverage of Apollo was excellent, people like Patrick Moore, James Burke as commentators, and all the BBC science correspondents like Reg Turnhill, knew their stuff.

Now, you are lucky to see any space items on the BBC, and I couldn't tell you any of their science journalists names.

Nice thing about getting older is you don't feel guilty about whingeing...when I was a lad, it was all fields round here...

N.

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Now, you are lucky to see any space items on the BBC, and I couldn't tell you any of their science journalists names.

The BBC has space journalists?:rofl:

They have people who write about space things (Christine Mc-bloody-Guerty) but calling them journalists is pushing it, that would imply they actually have knowledge about the subject they're writing on..

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, its something I don't quite get. How the BBC lost its science interest, Raymond Baxter, Tomorrows World, James Burke, Connections, Horizon, one-off specials, co-productions. Just wall to wall reality shows, and peculiar participation stuff now. What am I payig my licence fee for?

Harumph, N.

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, I remember Baxter, Burke, Mitchelmore et al. In those days James Burke could walk onto camera and just talk science for 20 minutes in an interesting, engaging and often amusing way. Nowadays science programmes seem to waste a lot of time showing shots of scientists staring into the distance or weird abstract graphics over synthesised tunes with odd basslines or that annoying fast-slow-fast editing of people walking. 10 minutes science, 30 minutes modern art.

Having vented spleen here, I would say that BBC4 is worth the licence fee. Some of the recent historical "docudramas" (I hate that word!) have been very good indeed. Then there is David Attenborough - a national institution.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Good point, but, besides the docudramas, Horizon, the drains, the wine; What has the BBC ever done for us?

N.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
The mathematician in me sees the graph as a Chi-square distribution.

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Glad I found this now, in a couple of months I'd jump to a new category (46-51)! ;)

HAHA!.. I am already in the last one... Hang in there.

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Glad I found this now, in a couple of months I'd jump to a new category (46-51)! ;)

Same deal for me...in a few months I'd be forced into the "39-40 something" category...

Funny age to be. Juuust missed Apollo. My birth came at T+ one month after Neil and Buzz set down at the Sea of Tranquility. Dad was a pilot and aviation buff, so I was, well, indoctrinated early. Always loved the space program, but didn't see anything but Apollo footage until I was 11, when Columbia (finally) took flight. But soon thereafter, while still in High School, I had my "Kennedy" moment when Challenger blew up. (I can still recall the school principal announcing over the PA system that the "Space Shuttle had exploded in space" which wasn't right at all, but certainly blew us all away.)

I went ahead and got engineering degrees anyway, including a Masters in Aeronautics and Astronautics, but then went down an odd career path, that's led me to the rather bad situation I find myself today. I am now working hard to get out of my current line of business (don't ask) and do engineering, space engineering, if I can find a place that'll hire me!

Thank goodness for Orbiter and this community who has been so helpful. It wasn't until I started "designing" ships, working with streb2001 last fall, that I made the realization that I wanted to be a technical designer.

It's never too late to find your calling! Even if you're "old" like me :p

MT

doggie015

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am turning 16 on the 17/06/08

Cosmos

Reaction score
Well I didn't want to admit my age but this IS a SIMULATOR and games are for kids. (I don't do consoles} Besides 43 is really close to 65 where you get senior discounts! Better yet I was in highschool in the 80's when the music was actually good. (Read as pre-crap....I mean Rap...sorry, my age showing there. P.S. if you find hair growing in your ears, do you have to start combing it?:)

surveyor53

Reaction score
Born in 1953. :)
Wrote Werner von Braun a letter in 1959, and got a full page handwritten reply, with a hand drawn sketch of the Saturn V stack, very nice, on unlined paper.:cheers:
built first "p.c" in 1980.:lol:
Been to 15 Shuttle launches, including #1, #10, #100.:beach:
Enjoying Orbiter since the first release.

Surveyor out.

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I noticed there isn't an option for ages below 10. Is there a reason for this?:roflcopter:

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
Ha!

One of my favorites is, "I'm better than any woman you'll ever have, and I've been with women you can only dream about."

I'm not telling you all my age. I'll make you figure it out (come on, if you like Orbiter, you've got the brain to handle a little puzzle).

The year I was born got turned upside down, but everyone failed to notice.

- it's how Bilbo or Smeagol(?) would have posed it.