If you were chosen to go to the moon....

jinglesassy

Reaction score
If you were chosen to go to the moon to land in one week and you could bring 3 things with you what would you bring i would bring a baseball bat a baseball and my :camera:

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'd take a Henry Repeating Arms AR-7, brick of .22 and a camera, so that I could take pics of me being the first man to fo plinking on the Moon. I guess I'd have plenty of empty cans or whatever to shoot at so no need to bring up targets. ;)

Dambuster

Reaction score
I'd take a Henry Repeating Arms AR-7, brick of .22 and a camera, so that I could take pics of me being the first man to fo plinking on the Moon. I guess I'd have plenty of empty cans or whatever to shoot at so no need to bring up targets. ;)

Would a lack of oxygen cause problems with the gun? Or is there already some O2 in the cartridge?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Would a lack of oxygen cause problems with the gun? Or is there already some O2 in the cartridge?

The propellant in firearm cartridges is self oxidising.

The only problems I can see are the lubricant in a vacuum, and potential cookoff due to solar heating.

EDIT:
Nevermind, Ghostrider answered with pretty much the same thing. :p

I know vacuum-lubricants have been developed, but I don't know how well they'd work in a firearm.

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
The propellant in firearm cartridges is self oxidising.

The only problems I can see are the lubricant in a vacuum, and potential cookoff due to solar heating.

EDIT:
Nevermind, Ghostrider answered with pretty much the same thing. :p

I know vacuum-lubricants have been developed, but I don't know how well they'd work in a firearm.

I know some water-based lubricants that work great in a vacuum.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
I'd take a my telescope. The views of the universe would be just amazing from a perfectly dark location (moon at night) and without the turbulance of the atmosphere.

jedimaster1214

CDR-LMP-CMP
Reaction score
Would take set of of golf clubs, a few golf balls, and a model x-wing to play with in the 0g.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Hmm, let's see....

1x Laptop (with internet connection via satellite, plus a copy of Orbiter installed)!
1x Uber hi-res :camera:
And maybe a little food & water would be useful (in bags, so that you could use the empty bags to.... well, you get the idea :blink:).

Last edited:

jinglesassy

Reaction score
nice things to bring everyone and i would bring the baseball stuff to become the first base ball player on the moon lol

Oceanic

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
a pack of smokes, matches and half a decade old whiskey

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Firearms work in a vacuum pretty well. The charge contains its own oxydizer. The problems are heat buildup and water-based lubricants that can gunk up the works.

So that scene in Firefly where Jane uses a spacesuit to oxydize his rifle cartridges was incorrect, then?

I'd bring a good Hasselblad medium or large-format film camera with several rolls of color and black and white film (digital being for wimps) , and two lenses, a wide angle and a telephoto to double as a telescope.

Maybe a flask with some good Woodford Reserve bourbon.

An mp3 player with a large selection of prog and space music, jacked into the suit's helmet radio. Would have to have copius amounts of Rush and Pink Floyd.

If no surface transportation is provided, skip the flask and give me a good lunar rover. There's a whole lot of Moon to explore, and I'm not going to waste my time hanging around the landing site.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I'm going to the moon and I'm bringing a balloon!
(only a true space fan will get this)

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Books (i.e. Marooned, The Cape, Riding Rockets, etc.), some Andy Griffith, Wings, Fraiser, some Dean Martin, Johnny Cash, Beatles...