IPad, what do you think?

SpaceNut

Reaction score
Yes it is flashy and gimmicky, just like the iPhone/iTouch before it.

It isn't new. It is a improved and enlarged iTouch.

Honestly, I like the idea of the iPad, but the execution of the idea is another story.

I think you're missing the point.. the interface developed for the IPHONE and IPOD TOUCH is what was new, and incorporating it into more powerful machines is the next logical step. Everyone I know who owns an Apple product loves it, and everyone who doesn't have one/hates it has never used one. Everyone who keeps pointing out what it doesn't have, like a USB port doesnt seem to understand what the device is intended for. Everyone seems to think it's here to replace laptops, but it's not.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Everyone who keeps pointing out what it doesn't have, like a USB port doesnt seem to understand what the device is intended for.

Well, that's right. I don't know what it's for. I don't see a use for it, so I won't buy one. Your mileage may vary. If you get one, I hope you enjoy it.

Ark

Reaction score
I've owned plenty of iPods, and their batteries and/or hard drives all give out shortly after the one year warranty is up, and conveniently just in time for the Mini or Nano or Touch or whatever perennial coat of paint they can come up with. Planned obsolescence at it's worst, aimed solely at the hope that people will just buy the newest thing at full price instead of getting it fixed.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
I think you're missing the point.. the interface developed for the IPHONE and IPOD TOUCH is what was new, and incorporating it into more powerful machines is the next logical step.

I just don't see why the iPhone interface has to be put into a larger machine. I think it's great for a phone/mp3 player. But for a more laptop-like device, I don't see the point.

Everyone I know who owns an Apple product loves it, and everyone who doesn't have one/hates it has never used one.

Now you know someone who owned an Apple product and hated it. I have and I did.

Everyone who keeps pointing out what it doesn't have, like a USB port doesnt seem to understand what the device is intended for.

You're right, I don't. To me it seems just like an iTouch, just bigger and with more power. If you get one, I hope you like it.

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
Wo27t.jpg

Keatah

Reaction score
I find it amusing to see how the industry keeps vibrating back and forth trying to find the right screen size. We've gone all the way from the 1 inch nano screens to 100 in plasma screens. The industry seems to have its panties in a bind over this one aspect; trying to find the "perfect" size. They want it big to be usable, but small enough to fit in your pants..

As for this ipad specifically, I think I'll stick with a thin full-featured notebook. I can use a notebook for an e-reader, surfing da'web, playing orbiter, programming, playing with itunes, archiving the family photo album, playing classic arcade games via emulation, journaling, modelling higs-bosun particles, e-mailing and facebooking, photoshopping.

If I need to take this crap with me I can do so. I only need real genuine portability for music (my ipod nano I got back in 2005 or 2006 seems to work just fine!) If I want to make a phone call I just use my cellphone. I am certainly NOT going to listen to music and talk on the phone and surf the net at the same time.

All this "convergence" technology is really ruining the individual value of each "activity" it is trying to merge.

And bringing all this baggage around with you is diluting your interaction with others. It is annoying to always watch others in your group have to compulsively check those social networking sites and email and text every 5 minutes.

SpaceNut

Reaction score
And bringing all this baggage around with you is diluting your interaction with others. It is annoying to always watch others in your group have to compulsively check those social networking sites and email and text every 5 minutes.

How true... I'm a bit old school at 45 years old, and although I have an iPhone, which is a newer technology, and way more powerful than a cell phone, it sits in it's case on my belt most of the time. I've noticed that the younger crowd (by that I mean early 20's and down) is constantly sending/receiving text messages. It's quite rude when you're talking to someone, and out of the blue, they pull out their phone, read a text, and respond to it whilst in the middle of a conversation with you. It's only getting worse as this younger crowd gets more and more powerful phones that have the social networking flavor of the day apps on them as well. Although I like and enjoy this new technology, I tend to stay rooted in the meat space when I'm there, and put emails, text messages, etc on hold when I'm engaged in the real world.

destinos

Reaction score
Worthless. It fills a niche I don't think exists.

Yeah. An ars technica reviewer put it best when he said that he'll generally leave his house with his laptop and his phone, since each performs functions that the other can't, and this 3rd device doesn't eliminate the need for either.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I only need real genuine portability for music
I find it convenient to have portable video too and a Nano is just a little too small for that. My 2003 vintage iPaq works quite nicely though :thumbup:

They need a constant nag message that reads: "While you're reading this and texting back, someone with a less flashy phone is getting laid."
:rofl:

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Despite what you may think about the iPad, this should make you laugh:

replicant

The Wanderer
Reaction score
Andy said it all, another gadget with no real practical application. I have a Sony Vaio that I configured with a dual boot OS if I want a computer on the road. It may not be the best, but at least I can tweak it. Apple allows no tweaking and is therefore worthless.
If I want a phone, I have a nice Samsung with Verizon, and a nice Emerson mp3 player. Each device does what it was meant to do very well.
As for Apple, after the way they orphaned their II series users, I wouldn't give them another dime anyway.