IPad, what do you think?

V8Li

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 3GS and think it's the best. It's an Apple and software is expensive (if you buy it :) ) but it has an outstanding quality. If there is market for iPad it will be no.1 on it.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Can't kill netbooks (or existing tablet computers), since it can't even multitask.

Can't kill phones, too big.

No camera (videoconferencing!)

What's it aiming at?

If it had a proper GPS it might make a good platform for an EFB for pilots, but...no.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Utterly worthless.

(Rather valid) arguments about the useless of it aside, it's another computery thing... come on, we already have computery things... why can't people invest effort in cheap water purification systems or launch vehicles instead? :p

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
why can't people invest effort in cheap water purification systems
Already done. Apart from putting water in transparent bottles and letting them rest in the sun, there are interesting projects in india that are designed to provide fresh water to a small village while costing very little.

If it had a proper GPS it might make a good platform for an EFB for pilots, but...no.

The UMTS module holds a GPS receiver. Of course that costs extra.

The only use I can see for it is to watch videos handheld while on the train/bus.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Already done.

Good to know- why isn't it being spread over the African continent as we speak?

Jarvitä

Reaction score
-Locked down
-DRM laden
-Windows/Mac support only, Mac only if you want any real work done on it
-No flash/interpreted browser code other than what Apple wants you to have
-You can only install software Apple lets you
-And they can even disable that whenever they feel like it
-No multitasking for appstore applications
-DRM eBook format (seriously, what's wrong with PDF or plaintext?)
-Integrated battery
-Too big! What's with the gigantic unused edges?
-Where am I supposed to put this thing when I'm moving around, assuming I don't carry a purse?!
-More expensive than netbooks, weaker hardware than netbooks, less convenient to work on than netbooks
-Do they really expect people to type anything longer than an incomprehensible tweet on that onscreen keyboard?

Of course, they'll still sell truckloads of them to Apple fanboys who couldn't care any less about signing their privacy and Software Freedoms away for the latest fashion accessory.

Ark

Reaction score
Jarvitä;149998 said:
-Locked down
-DRM laden
-Windows/Mac support only, Mac only if you want any real work done on it
-No flash/interpreted browser code other than what Apple wants you to have
-You can only install software Apple lets you
-And they can even disable that whenever they feel like it
-No multitasking for appstore applications
-DRM eBook format (seriously, what's wrong with PDF or plaintext?)
-Integrated battery
-Too big! What's with the gigantic unused edges?
-Where am I supposed to put this thing when I'm moving around, assuming I don't carry a purse?!
-More expensive than netbooks, weaker hardware than netbooks, less convenient to work on than netbooks
-Do they really expect people to type anything longer than an incomprehensible tweet on that onscreen keyboard?

Of course, they'll still sell truckloads of them to Apple fanboys who couldn't care any less about signing their privacy and Software Freedoms away for the latest fashion accessory.

So, not only can you not do any kind of serious computer work on it, the company directly prohibits you from running any software they didn't collect their royalties on. Pathetic.

Of course, Apple hasn't come up with a DRM that someone hasn't been able to crack. It's utterly stupid that you should have to hack the OS of the hardware you just bought in order to run your software on it, but at least people seem to figure it out.

Last edited:

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Worse than that, it only runs the iPhone OS.

I was referring to syncing the thing with real computers. Which will only work on Windows and Mac OS, and most of the Apple applications it comes with are only interoperable with Apple software and don't use open standards.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I was referring to syncing the thing with real computers. Which will only work on Windows and Mac OS, and most of the Apple applications it comes with are only interoperable with Apple software and don't use open standards.
Windows and Mac combined is what, 99% of the market? I don't think anyone at Apple is losing sleep over not being able to sync this with Linux.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So?

Even if it wouldn't be widely used, compatibility with linux would still be advantageous.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So?

Even if it wouldn't be widely used, compatibility with linux would still be advantageous.
No, it really wouldn't. From Apple's perspective, the amount of work that would have to go in to making it work on Linux could never, ever be repaid by the number of Linux users they'd gain.

That's not "advantageous," that's a "bad business decision."

Jarvitä

Reaction score
No, it really wouldn't. From Apple's perspective, the amount of work that would have to go in to making it work on Linux could never, ever be repaid by the number of Linux users they'd gain.

The only "work" they'd have to do is to remove the encryption that specifically prevents non-Apple software from accessing their hardware - or not put them there in the first place. But that would also mean third party access from Windows, and they can't have that.

Also, God forbid they stop artificially preventing iTunes from running properly in Wine.

As it is, it's taking them extra effort to make sure iCrap doesn't work with GNU/Linux, just like it's taking them extra effort to make sure only Apple-certified software ever runs on their fashion accessories.

Unstung

Reaction score
Well, just what I think:
It's a good idea, but poorly done and expensive (typical of Apple)
It unfortunately has the iPhone-ish OS (Although, I hate Mac's OS)
Windows needs to copy the idea, make it a 16:9 screen, 12", and put XP/7 on it.

Last edited:

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Windows needs to copy the idea, make it a 16:9 screen, 12", and put XP/Vista on it.

Or, they could just leave hardware design to hardware companies, and, at the very least, provide an option for people to buy a "hardware-only" package and put whatever they like on it. I wouldn't care if it came without any kind of support or warranty.

It's hard enough to get a decent computer without putting it together yourself (and thereby limiting yourself to the ATX/mini ATX form factor) or paying the MS tax.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It's hard enough to get a decent computer without putting it together yourself (and thereby limiting yourself to the ATX/mini ATX form factor) or paying the MS tax.
Well, except for the fact that most major hardware companies also give you the option to have a flavour of Linux as the pre-installed OS, thereby avoiding the "MS tax" (god forbid you actually have to pay for software! how terrible!)

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

I've seen an iPod running Linux. While not really useful, it's cool to watch.

As for the iPad itself, I haven't purchased one, but everything I hear seems to indicate that it is crap. It evidently tries to compete with netbooks and phones, but does so unsuccessfully because it is worse than a netbook or a phone for various reasons.

I'm going to take a look at some reviews.