Iron Hill Project Thread

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Docking an xr2 to the arrow isn't too difficult. Go slow and when you reach the bay just translate up and over to the docking port. As long as you don't have to time your approach to go through a spinning gravity wheel (the mini-golf approach) you should be fine. It's also nice to be able to take a ship with you so that when you get back to earth you can get your UMMUs feet back on Earth without an extra launch.

This brings to mind another interesting decison: leaving the roughly 30-ton XR-2 docked to the Arrow would require more fuel for the Arrow launch, but taking it home again after delivering the crew would require another XR-2 launch to bring them home. Which way would save more fuel, I wonder?:idk:

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The first way is more interesting. If a failure could happen in the surface, the XR2 could stay in the orbit of Mercury for a rescue...

Reaction score
If you are going to launch an XR5 for cargo, why not take along a capsule for crew reentry and as a small lifeboat? The weight of a capsule would be far less than that of an XR2, and it would still give you the crew options you want.

How many people are you taking along? if its 7 or less, perhaps a dragon capsule would work?

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Spacewalk. Get the XR-5 and Arrow close to each-other and null relative velocity.

Using UMMU transfer one container from the XR-5 to the Arrow. After returning to the XR-5, renull the relative velocity and move it closer to the Arrow if need be.

Remember, UMMUs have a fairly high operational range, I've used them up to 10km from their vessel, but I wouldn't go much farther than 20 or so. 50 if ferrying.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
The first way is more interesting. If a failure could happen in the surface, the XR2 could stay in the orbit of Mercury for a rescue...

You know, I was actually thinking about exactly that this morning. I plan for the Arrow Freighter to be the crew's home on Mercury until the first shipments of extra oxygen and supplies arrive, but what if a massive power failure at the base threatened the flow of oxygen? I would have about two hours to evacuate the crew, and the Ravenstar doesn't have enough oxygen for the four month trip home. I would probably have to keep a second Arrow in orbit as a contigency plan. Sheesh, this mission is getting expensive...

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

If you are going to launch an XR5 for cargo, why not take along a capsule for crew reentry and as a small lifeboat? The weight of a capsule would be far less than that of an XR2, and it would still give you the crew options you want.

How many people are you taking along? if its 7 or less, perhaps a dragon capsule would work?

Five for the base crew, and four to fly the Arrow. I have only vaguely heard of this Dragon thing, but I will certainly take it under advisement:tiphat:

Reaction score
You know, I was actually thinking about exactly that this morning. I plan for the Arrow Freighter to be the crew's home on Mercury until the first shipments of extra oxygen and supplies arrive, but what if a massive power failure at the base threatened the flow of oxygen? I would have about two hours to evacuate the crew, and the Ravenstar doesn't have enough oxygen for the four month trip home. I would probably have to keep a second Arrow in orbit as a contigency plan. Sheesh, this mission is getting expensive...

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

Five for the base crew, and four to fly the Arrow. I have only vaguely heard of this Dragon thing, but I will certainly take it under advisement:tiphat:

http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5442

Its the capsule that spacex is developing and launched in last year. I just figure that if you are even the slightest bit concerned about weight, the dragon weighs on the order of 1/2 to 1/3 of the weight of the xr2

Lydia

Cynder Fan
Reaction score
decrease your arrow crew by 2 and you can have a dragon spacecraft, keep it in mine the is a variant of the Dragon that can carry cargo up to the arrow

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Thanks Lydia. I will be giving the Dragon a look.

Preliminary LEO simulations are complete. Current simulations are now focusing on the Mercury transfer itself. Looks about an 11 minute launch burn:blink: and a 15 minute insertion burn:cry: Togther leaving the Arrow with about 60% main fuel after insertion.

Flight plan: departure May 5, 2012, arrival August 18 2012

Procurment:
23 UCGO modules massing in total approximately 40 metric tons
1 Arrow Freighter: Odyssey
2 Vangaurds (one as backup): Chronus and Hermes
1 Ravenstar (if it crashes/blows up, the backup Vanguard can be used to trasfer the crew by spacewalk): Intrepid
15 astronauts: 4 for the Arrow, 2 for each of the LEO craft, and 5 for the base itself

Will probably be adding a Dragon capsule, but this will require more LEO simulations:)

Lydia

Cynder Fan
Reaction score
the dragon is useless with that amount of crew you need 2 arrow crew and 5 base operators to use the 7 seat dragon

---------- Post added at 17:19 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

and where will you put the 2 XR5's?

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
the dragon is useless with that amount of crew you need 2 arrow crew and 5 base operators to use the 7 seat dragon
Got it, reducing the Arrow crew to 2. Is the Arrow automated enough to run with a crew of two?

---------- Post added at 17:19 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

and where will you put the 2 XR5's?
The Chronus will return to the cape after delivering the cargo. Same goes for the Hermes if she is needed.

Lydia

Cynder Fan
Reaction score
yeah have an XR2 with the 5 base crew and have the arrow with a captain and a Doctor

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
The Intrepid will also be returning to the Cape after delivering the crew to the Odyssey, so the flight crew won't be stuck on Mercury along with the base crew.

I haven't yet decided on the length of their stay. Crew rotations will be considered when I check on Mercury-Earth launch windows.

Also, I changed my mind about the Arrow acting as a temporary base, for the same reason.

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

Haha, I forgot, there won't be an Intrepid if I decide to use the Dragon instead:lol:

Lydia

Cynder Fan
Reaction score
http://clowder.net/hop/railroad/EMe.htm this will help you with launch windows to mercury and the same implies to head back

---------- Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

what Cargo did your XR5's carry? and if it was UCGO cargo how did you get it in the payload bay?

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Okay, looks like there is an October window for the first return trip, but leaves only two months for study:( I like that February window much better. So the first rotation sets out for Earth in mid-February and returns home at the end of May :)

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
what Cargo did your XR5's carry? and if it was UCGO cargo how did you get it in the payload bay?
A bunch of inflatable base modules, lights, tables, etc. plus an Azure rover.

I used a UCGO platform. You can get them on Orbit Hangar;)

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

Sorry about missing your question, I didn't notice it at first ;)

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

Ack, the XR5 didn't carry an Azure rover:facepalm:
Sorry bout that.