Hardware Joystick?

thepenguin

Flying Penguin
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How many of you use joysticks? I was thinking about getting one to make flying easier, and I think I found a pretty good deal here:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12374735

It has enough buttons for the autopilots, and from what I have read online from 3rd party reviewers says that it is an entry-level to intermediate-level joystick.

It seems simple enough that I could get a hang on flying with it rather quickly, but it has enough features to keep me busy for quite a while.

It looks like a good deal, and I can't see anything bad about it. I could map all the buttons to different Orbiter functions (in my complex vessels, at least).

Dantassii

HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
Reaction score
I've never used a joystick since they removed the dedicated gaming port from sound cards.

Dantassii
HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
What I have been wondering to carry on the thread is. What about running a dual joystick set up. I know you can get a proper flight control system from various different companies but what about hooking 2 usb joysticks up and configure them to do different things.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
I've never used a joystick since they removed the dedicated gaming port from sound cards.
I have had an MS Sidewinder 3D Pro I rather like for nearly 20 years. It came with a game port connector, but I converted it to USB using a USB controller chipset. I'm no expert with a soldering iron, but there are plenty of foolproof tutorials on the web, and it still works flawlessly.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
What I have been wondering to carry on the thread is. What about running a dual joystick set up. I know you can get a proper flight control system from various different companies but what about hooking 2 usb joysticks up and configure them to do different things.

There are addons supporting this.

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
any recommendations. The ship that is being built to be true to the spirit of the show its from uses two joysticks rather then a main and speed control.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I have a Thrustmaster Cougar Hotas + Simped pedals (from my old hardcore flightsimming days), but I must tell you: I managed many takeoffs and landings without it, using only keyboard.
Orbiter is (still) quite forgiving in that aspect of atmospheric flight.

Of course, if you do lots of atmo flights you'll end up needing one, because it's anyway more precise than keyboard alone, and because approaching a landing strip on Earth just feels more real.
Otherwise, Orbiter's core activity is 99% out of an atmosphere, so you really don't need one.

Recomendations you say?
This is a cheap one, and a proven workhorse:
http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/t16000m

Some tools:
HOTAS - A new add-on to provide comprehensive Joystick support
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3223"]Fly-By-Wire 0.9.1 beta[/ame]
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5286"]SpaceNavigator configs[/ame]

Last edited:

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
I have a Thrustmaster Cougar Hotas + Simped pedals (from my old hardcore flightsimming days), but I must tell you: I managed many takeoffs and landings without it, using only keyboard.
Orbiter is (still) quite forgiving in that aspect of atmospheric flight.

Of course, if you do lots of atmo flights you'll end up needing one, because it's anyway more precise than keyboard alone, and because approaching a landing strip on Earth just feels more real.
Otherwise, Orbiter's core activity is 99% out of an atmosphere, so you really don't need one.

Reccomendations you say?
This is a cheap one, and a proven workhorse:
http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/t16000m

Some tools:
HOTAS - A new add-on to provide comprehensive Joystick support
Fly-By-Wire 0.9.1 beta
SpaceNavigator configs

Thats not a bad stick at all. Alltho, I am not sure how it would feel in dual joystick config just cause of the way the grip is. I agree tho about the keyboard being the way to go out of atmo and yes it is the atmo feel I am looking for when in.

thepenguin

Flying Penguin
Addon Developer
Reaction score

That's why I think I should get a joystick. 99.9% of my orbiter action these days is in the atmosphere, or in a low-level planetary orbit. I suppose that I don't use orbiter the same way as most people, but I think that this might also make docking easier to do (hook up a button to alignment...)

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
How many of you use joysticks? I was thinking about getting one to make flying easier, and I think I found a pretty good deal here:

I use the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick. It's a good joystick in my opinion and I can recommend it. I got mine from Amazon for only $33.95, but the price has gone up to about $48. I tried the very expensive Saitek X52 Pro, but I absolutely hated it so I returned it. The Logitech 3D Extreme Pro you mentioned is available on Amazon for $4 less than what I see there on the Radio Shack page. (Not sure about the shipping cost though. I have Amazon prime so it's always free shipping.)

Edit: Just want to add here that one thing about the T-Flight Hotas you may not like is its size. The throttle portion being separate from the main joystick means it's about 2x bigger (wider) than the Logitech. I've thought about switching to the Logitech myself as to have a smaller joystick on my desk. The flip side of it though is that having the joystick in one hand and the throttle in the other feels cool.

This topic comes up somewhat regularly so you might check out these previous joystick-related threads:

1. Good joysticks for Orbiter
  2. What joystick do you use?
  3. Best joysticks for Orbiter?
  4. good, low price joysticks?
  5. Do you use the Thrustmaster T joystick?
  6. Recommended Joystick?
...and more

Last edited:

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
To the OP, that joystick is a really good value. I'm on my third one, with the first two only breaking due to personal stupidity rather than the design. In my opinion, the 3d Pro perfectly balances sensitivity with responsiveness. The only maintenance I've needed to do with it is the occasional re-plugging in of the USB cable and once I opened it up so I could run the potentiometers through their full range to clean them a bit. Otherwise, this one has lasted me just under 10 years so far I think and I wouldn't give it up for much!

Blake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For the money I don't think you will beat the Extreme 3D Pro. I have had mine for years for use with FSX and Orbiter. It feels solid, and I have not had a bit of an issue.

Also, I have probably used it with every version of Windows from 95 to 8.1 without an issue.

thepenguin

Flying Penguin
Addon Developer
Reaction score
To the OP, that joystick is a really good value. I'm on my third one, with the first two only breaking due to personal stupidity rather than the design. In my opinion, the 3d Pro perfectly balances sensitivity with responsiveness. The only maintenance I've needed to do with it is the occasional re-plugging in of the USB cable and once I opened it up so I could run the potentiometers through their full range to clean them a bit. Otherwise, this one has lasted me just under 10 years so far I think and I wouldn't give it up for much!

Glad to hear that the only problems are from user error. I was a little worried about the people saying they broke theirs, but seeing as how more than half admitted to slamming it into the wall/desk/other hard object before it broke, I wasn't that worried about it.

Also, from looking at those other 6 threads, it seems that everyone with a decent level of sense has had good experiences with it. (I want a joystick to fly through a simulator, not a window.)

Last edited:

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Thats not a bad stick at all. Alltho, I am not sure how it would feel in dual joystick config just cause of the way the grip is...
I recommended exactly that one because, as its website says, it is ambidextrous, and you said "The ship that is being built to be true to the spirit of the show its from uses two joysticks":

Fully ambidextrous joystick!

3 removable components allow the joystick to be perfectly tailored for left-handed or right-handed use

Piloting with a joystick in each hand is now possible in all games compatible with two joysticks