News KEO Time Capsule: Add Your Message

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
The KEO is a time capsule that is scheduled to launch in 2014, and will re-enter the atmosphere of Earth in fifty thousand years. You can add a message on their website that will be encoded on a glass-made radiation-resistant digital videodisk.

Here is some information about the time capsule:
Symbolic instructions in several formats will show the future finders how to build a DVD reader.

The satellite itself is a hollow sphere 80 cm in diameter. The sphere is engraved with a map of Earth and surrounded by an aluminium layer, a thermal layer and several layers of titanium and other heavy materials intertwined with vacuum. The sphere is resistant to cosmic radiation, atmosphere re-entry, space junk impacts, etc. For its first few years in orbit, KEO will sport a pair of wings 10 meters across that will aid in its spotting from Earth. As the satellite enters the atmosphere, the thermal layer will produce an artificial aurora to give a signal of the satellite's re-entry. The passive satellite will not carry any communications or propulsion systems. It will be launched by an Ariane 5 rocket into an orbit 1,800 km high, an altitude that will bring it back to Earth in 500 centuries, the same amount of time that has elapsed since early humans started to draw in cavern walls.

The deadline for the messages is by the end of 2013. All of the messages received, without undergoing any censorship, will be embarked aboard the KEO.

The link to the page where you can write your message is here. Languages other than English are available here.

Last edited:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
'ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT EUROPA. ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE.'

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Oh god, the website is awful.
Don't worry, my collegue is working on it :)
The question is whether KEO staff accepts his design.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
...Don't forget to put all the codes for top secret data and plans for nukes into there, or the space pirates won't waste the time retrieving it...

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yay! More space junk!

Well, the last two missions I put my name on failed miserably, so maybe I'll put my name on this and it'll fail...

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think after the last 33 years on this planet, I'd have this to say to people fifty millenia from now:

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

That might be worth a head-scratch or two.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I think after the last 33 years on this planet, I'd have this to say to people fifty millenia from now:

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

That might be worth a head-scratch or two.

No, try this. Go out to the middle of nowhere, I mean *nowhere* (get creative with this), and bury a non-consequential object, like a clock. Or a copy of a Playboy. Then write a message containing the coordinates to that location, saying it holds all the secrets.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
wow 6000 characters! so much more luxurious than the measly first and last name we got for curiosity.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Still a bit short to make a safeguard of your Orbiter addons :hmm:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
"All our base are belong to you."

or

Give a great speech telling them to tell everybody about the Earth's riches and wonders, and then tell all the nasty alien conquerors, "It. Is. Protected!"

Last edited:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I'll transcribe a copy of the "F-Word Dictionary" for future generations

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I did this nearly 3 years ago!

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
"All our base are belong to you."

or

Give a great speech telling them to tell everybody about the Earth's riches and wonders, and then tell all the nasty alien conquerors, "It. Is. Protected!"

Include a Will Smith punching .gif with a caption 'Welcome to Earth!'

sorindafabico

Reaction score
"If any Homo sapiens [or any descendant of Homo sapiens] is reading this message, mankind is not as dumb as I thought."

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
'Congrats on not all dying. Except for John. Damnit John.'