Hardware Logitech Extreme 3D Joystick $19.99 on Amazon

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
People ask about Joysticks quite often:

1. Recommended Joystick?
  2. Do you use the Thrustmaster T joystick?
  3. good, low price joysticks?
  4. Best joysticks for Orbiter?
  5. What joystick do you use?
  6. Good joysticks for Orbiter
  7. Joystick?
  8. Joystick?
...and more

One of the most common recommendations is the Logitech Extreme 3D Joystick. A lot of Orbitnauts seem to really like that one. I got a notification from Amazon just now that the price was reduced to $19.99. Normally it's closer to $27. So if you're in the market for a joystick for Orbiter, this is a good opportunity to pick one up.

Prices fluctuate quite often on Amazon, so I wouldn't expect it to stay at this price for long. Newegg currently has it listed at $29.99. Though, I'm seeing it for $19.99 on Best Buy's website as well.

Product link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009OY9U

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I've got a Logitech Attack3, it wasn't very expensive and I bought it primarily for Orbiter. As it turns out I'm glad I didn't get a thrustmaster or anything too ridiculously priced as I find out I only use it when flying in atmo.

If I flew other simulators, I'd surely take a look at it though. And programmable buttons are pretty sweet when you take the time to set them up.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
People ask about Joysticks quite often:

One of the most common recommendations is the Logitech Extreme 3D Joystick. A lot of Orbitnauts seem to really like that one. I got a notification from Amazon just now that the price was reduced to $19.99. Normally it's closer to $27. So if you're in the market for a joystick for Orbiter, this is a good opportunity to pick one up.

Thanks Blix... here's an admission: I've never flown Orbiter on a joystick, but I was just thinking about getting one to try finessing some landings more (my last joystick was years ago in MSFS days).

I'll let you know how I get on :)

sitha241

Reaction score
I use Logitech Attack3 and I dont use it just for atmo-flight but all the time in orbit...
I programed some keys on it to serve for translation so it is just matter of switching rot-lin switch on my custom panel for orbiter :)
These days I got my eye on saitek x52 but here in croatia it is almost 200 $ so not so cheap..Il try to find it on ebay or in eu stores..
I still have a dream to build full simpit like those guys did for that battle star galactica viper..

RonDVouz

Reaction score
I have the Attack 3 too, it's not bad for the price but I do wish I had looked at this forum before deciding on that one (which was really selected only for the price). This Extreme 3D looks nicer than the Attack 3 and it's only like $10 more.

But I use the joystick for RCS/LIN control too, just like a real astronaut would. My dream is to find a joystick that works like a real LIN control (twist forward/back) and work it in tandem.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The Extreme 3D is a pleasure to use for atmo flight in takeoff and landing phases. It's a solid joystick with no need for any additional clamps etc to hold it down. The twist grip for yaw is nice to keep the turns feeling right, and the throttle lever makes finessing the throttle a breeze. It's got loads of buttons, but apart from air brakes and gear, I can't think of much need for them. They are easy to map though.

Good buy ... Recommend.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
But I use the joystick for RCS/LIN control too, just like a real astronaut would. My dream is to find a joystick that works like a real LIN control (twist forward/back) and work it in tandem.

Real astronauts use two controlers RHC and THC. They are seperate.

SpaceEagle

GEP Reborn Project Manager
Reaction score
I personally have it and it works great! (Execept when using FSX the left rudder turns even when you don't hold the stick)

Screamer7

Reaction score
If you are a Windows8/8.1 user, the Extreme 3D is a real PITA.

And if I am not mistaken, any USB joystick that is.

The problem is the occasional disconnection of the Joystick.
And it's a random thing.

I tried everything I know of.
I prevent the USB ports to go into sleep mode via the power settings, but that does not help.

In FSX, it's more prone to this disconnection problem.
Especially if you are using AXE planes.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score

And it's a random thing.

I prevent the USB ports to go into sleep mode via the power settings, but that does not help.

I'm win 8.1 and have not seen this.

Blake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

And it's a random thing.

I'm using the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro on Windows 8.1 with no problem at all. Including FSX.

I don't recall doing anything specific to make it work, just plugged it in. Its a pretty old Joystick, I've had it for years.

RonDVouz

Reaction score
The Extreme 3D is a pleasure to use for atmo flight in takeoff and landing phases. It's a solid joystick with no need for any additional clamps etc to hold it down. The twist grip for yaw is nice to keep the turns feeling right, and the throttle lever makes finessing the throttle a breeze. It's got loads of buttons, but apart from air brakes and gear, I can't think of much need for them. They are easy to map though.

Good buy ... Recommend.

So would this joystick need to be programmed or could I plug and play it?

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Plug + play for throttle, joystick and twist grip. Your choice for the button assignments if you want them, or need them due to no numpad.

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

For the button assignments, you can use something like Joy2Key to map the buttons on the joystick to Orbiter functions.