New Release Long Shot

Hispa

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
longshot_vc%2B%2B_04.jpg

I released the first version of Long Shot, an Ummu compatible ship for 50 crewman. You've got it in Orbithangar or in this link. Enjoy! :thumbup:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
How big is it? 386m?

50 Crewmen seems like a lot. It will sure be fun ejecting them into the depths of Jupiter's atmosphere!

Mhmm, this for sure is the purpose of this craft...

Anyway, nice craft, Hispa! And a very good move that you put the source code in, too. This is something I sometimes miss with Orbiter addons using custom DLLs.
Just a small advice: don't include build objects and other generated files in the release, it just blows the package up unnecessarily.

In your case, you could strip away the following files:

• Doc\Long Shot\Sources\LongShot\LongShot.ncb
  • Doc\Long Shot\Sources\LongShot\LongShot.suo
  • Doc\Long Shot\Sources\LongShot\LongShot.vcproj.HISPA-I.Hispa.user
  • Doc\Long Shot\Sources\LongShot\Debug\*
  • Doc\Long Shot\Sources\LongShot\Release\*
In addition, with Dan's license note on redistribution, I am not sure, if the following 2 files are allowed (although it is quite clearly depicted in his documentation walk-through to copy them to the project directory):

• Doc\Long Shot\Sources\LongShot\UMmuSDK.h
  • Doc\Long Shot\Sources\LongShot\UMmuSDK.lib

regards,
Face

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yes, but I didn't say about gettingto Jupiter.

Yes, but I was referring to your remark about how much fun it would be to eject all 50 crew-members into the depth of the atmosphere.

OTOH, I just read your subtitle here ("Mad Spacecraft Destroyer"), so I guess you're just living up to your motto...

regards,
Face

Hispa

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In your case, you could strip away the following files:

• Doc\Long Shot\Sources\LongShot\LongShot.ncb
  • Doc\Long Shot\Sources\LongShot\LongShot.suo
  • Doc\Long Shot\Sources\LongShot\LongShot.vcproj.HISPA-I.Hispa.user
  • Doc\Long Shot\Sources\LongShot\Debug\*
  • Doc\Long Shot\Sources\LongShot\Release\*
In addition, with Dan's license note on redistribution, I am not sure, if the following 2 files are allowed (although it is quite clearly depicted in his documentation walk-through to copy them to the project directory):

• Doc\Long Shot\Sources\LongShot\UMmuSDK.h
  • Doc\Long Shot\Sources\LongShot\UMmuSDK.lib

I deleted all these files (I hope all of them) and re-uploaded to orbithangar. we saved at least 3MB. Thanks!

Warped

Reaction score
I thought this ship was going to be the one from Ringworld :(

Hispa

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I thought this ship was going to be the one from Ringworld :(

I'm very sorry. It was a name as any other and I took it. :shrug:

This is the reason why I built the beast:

Europa.jpg

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, it is long, but it looks very cool. Awesome ship! Very good first vessel! Just brought a DGIV up with a crew of 5 and docked to her in Earth orbit. Going to head to the moon now and pick up another DGIV with a crew of 5, for a total of 15 on the Long Shot, and head to Mars, then on to Jupiter.

**EDIT** Actually, I've decided to keep her in Earth orbit and bring the DGIV from the moon to Earth orbit and dock there instead, saving the fuel from TLI and LOI for my trips to Mars and Jupiter.

Hispa

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Curnow_Europa.jpg

"All these worlds are yours, except Europa..." Bla, bla, bla! I'm already here, now what?

I must say that I landed the XR2 with a sleeping baby on one arm, adding some more difficult to the thing.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
This is a great ship: right now I'm on a little tour of saturn's moons, currently at titan.
I have just two suggestions...don't know how difficult it would be to implement:
a rotation speed limiter, like the arrow freighter has: this way it would be possible to turn the ship in a realistic manner even under light loads, while still keeping it usable with two XR5 and a huge station docked up front.

Maybe it could be a system that, if angular velocity is over a certain threshold, thrusts in the opposite direction of rotation.

Second question: is it normal that the exhaust flames are THAT long? Wouln't it look better if the exhaust was just a glow in the nozzle like in the deepstar?

Just my two cents! Still a very awesome ship: an interplanetary vessel with UMMU support that can haul stuff around was just what was needed. :)

Hispa

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
a rotation speed limiter, like the arrow freighter has: this way it would be possible to turn the ship in a realistic manner even under light loads, while still keeping it usable with two XR5 and a huge station docked up front.

Maybe it could be a system that, if angular velocity is over a certain threshold, thrusts in the opposite direction of rotation.

Second question: is it normal that the exhaust flames are THAT long? Wouln't it look better if the exhaust was just a glow in the nozzle like in the deepstar?

Already working on it! Thanks fot the suggestion. :tiphat: Just studying how to overload the rotation functions to ignore the key pressed when angular velocity reaches a limit.

The other way to do is to absolute limit the angular speed, shutting down the thruster group. This will allow to limit the rotation velocity even with autopilot functions (prograde, etc...)

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Cool, thanks for implementing it! :)
That is indeed a more efficient solution, and it would work with ANY autopilot being it one of the default ones or IMFD or whatever.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Will try it as soon as possible...currently I'm on a 10-year old laptop, but this evening I'll give it a try! Thanks again!

Hispa

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Fabri, I'll wait for your feedback, and thanks again for the idea. To limit the angular velocity by software is something I never thought.

After testing it for a while, I'm thinking about reduce the angular velocity limit to less than 0.1 rad/s. What about 0.05 rad/s?

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

BTW, there's another way (apart of this angular velocity limit, very healthy for the crew) to rotate this ship more... friendly: I could implement two RCS types that could be selected by keyboard, one with full thrust RCS for loaded-ship maneuvers, and other with less thrust (half or even less) to use when navigating alone or in docking maneuvers.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Considering how huge the ship is I think 0.05 rad/s is appropriate...it should be somewhere about 2,8deg/s if math doesn't fail me.

Regarding the RCS types: thats also a good idea! Should avoid having the crew splattered on the walls. :)

Hispa

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Ok, will be able to test it in about an hour.

EDIT: could test it now! It works perfectly. Just two things: you could add a key press that shows all the custom keys (like when entering the ship for the first time...maybe the "H" key for "help"?), and add to these the new shift+1 key for RCS settings. And the new exhaust is also much better.

Last edited:

javichuelas

Reaction score
t qdo muy bien... me acuerda d la nave espacial d Avatar (la q salio al principio d la pelicula)