Project Morning Star: ReFuel's orbital refueling XR5

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am getting in that mood again where I am busting out photoshop and creating some new repaints for various craft. Some of you may have allready seen my XR2 ReFuel One, Prelude II and XR5 Enterprise skin that I have recently released. I have several more projects that I want to release and one of them is the XR5 known as Morning Star.

In short Morning Star is a XR5 that is owned and operated by ReFuel L.L.C. Its purpose is to provide a launchable and recoverable orbital refueling platform. Its cargo bay is outfitted with fuel containers that will provide an amazing 400 metric tons of extra fuel. Like the XR2 that has the ability to burn fuel from containers in its cargobay, the new version (1.2 at the time of this post) also has this ability, but currently no such payload exists. The fuel containers as well as the Morning Star repaint for the XR5 will be released as a packaged deal but the fuel containers can be summoned into the cargobay of any XR5 to extend the range of the craft for say mission to Mars w/o the need to change the cfg file of the XR5 itself. This will of course give you the range that editing the cfg could provide but not my magically making the engines more efficient. Instead your have to deal with a heavier craft.

Now there are a few ways I can do this...

I can simply recycle an existing mesh that is included in the static payloads that he provides with the craft. (That is if Doug doesn't mind) and simply create a new paint scheme. The end result of this is well, a square fuel tank that is well square.

What I am asking for is for someone that would like to model me a new payload mesh for the XR5. This mesh doesn't need to be animated, have engines, cockpit, or anything else. I am just looking for a supercool futuristic mesh that looks cool and is light on the computer drawing it. You tell me how to apply the DDS file and we have a brand new functional payload for this awesome craft. Your work will of course be aknowledged and credit will be given to you.

If you want to work on this project all you simply have to do is model what you think this tank should look like. The dimensions of the model should be 2.43W 2.59H 6.09L so they will take up but a single slot in the XR5 payload bay. Once your model is done take a pic and post it into this thread. Last submission will be March 6th and at that time, I'll gather all the pictures up in one thread and we can start a poll to see who wins

Thanks for reading and I hope you will find this interesting if you like to model objects in Orbiter

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hey.
I've been trying to model this in Anim8or since last night :p
I hope it comes out right.

EDIT:
I think I have it about right.
It would be best if I did the texturing, as that is done during the modelling process.
I hope you like it, HiPotOk1978.

Last edited:

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
if you wish to texture it, go right ahead... I can't wait to see your work