My Crazy, Wacky, sometimes even Stupid Ideas

penlu

Reaction score
Here are a few of the ideas I've put down in my notebook. There are a few more, but there's a maximum upload quantity of five, so I can't put them up. Next post, I guess.

Attachments

• Frieghter-LD 1.jpg
    Frieghter-LD 1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Frieghter-LD 2.jpg
    Frieghter-LD 2.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Small Orbital Craft 1.jpg
    Small Orbital Craft 1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Small Orbital Craft 2.jpg
    Small Orbital Craft 2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Small Orbital Craft 3.jpg
    Small Orbital Craft 3.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 50

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh hell, I got notebooks full of stuff like that too... I think most people here do. You just have to have SOME replacement for those Lego-bricks! ;)

unussapiens

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
nickgrant.id.au
Some of the stuff looks like it could be interesting. Any chance of higher res pics?

I have a good few notebooks of stuff like that myself, despite knowing most of my ideas won't work.

penlu

Reaction score
I might be able to get more high-resolution. I really didn't know that others had this kind of thing too. Put some of the pictures up, please.

To be more specific on the fusion powered cargo spacecraft, it runs on two reactions. The first utilizes lithium-6 and hydrogen to get helium-4 and helium-3. The helium-3 then combines with more lithium-6 to get 2 helium-4s and a hydrogen. So the thing starts on hydrogen and lithium-6, then cuts hydrogen supply and puts more Li-6 in.

Last edited:

unknown_orbiter

Orbital Mystery
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
A constant semi-renewable fuel source. very nice chemistry work. I am liking the looks of some of these. Albeit some of those models are a bit cliche (look a lot like 2001: ASO In my opinion). But the level of detail is very nice. I hope to see some of these published as add-ons ;)

penlu

Reaction score
I looked at a couple of aneutronic reactions on Wikipedia and realized this. They said it too, so it's not really my idea. It would be great to have these as add-ons.

Qualqua

Reaction score
Fusion RuleZ :)

Penlu, your ideas are not crazy at all!

Thermonuclear reactions IS the future, no doubt about it :)

Would be very logical to have some addon or intrinsically possible in future DGs to turn on Fusion Propulsion from 80-100 km above the ground or so.

IMHO, mankind will engineer Fusion Propulsion even sooner than Fusion Reactors for Electricity Generation.
Basis for this my humble opinion is twofold:
1) "free" (very good) vacuum around;
2) no need to stabilize hot plasma but instead (partially magnetically deflect and) emit it.

As we may approximate the exhaust speed of the jet to be smth. around 30 000 km/s, that means they are 4 orders of magnitude (10 thousand times!) more efficient than current chemical stuff (or 3 orders of magnitude than DG).

i.e. let's compare concrete figures:
to have a thrust of approx. 300 kN (equivalent to 30 tons above Earth) current chemical machines should burn smth like 100 kg/s;
Futuristic Delta Glider burns around 10 kg/s
And Fusion Jet will "burn" around 10 g/s to have the same 300 kN.
That would make fuel amount effectively unlimited (when used in vacuum) on short distances (I mean within our Solar System ;))

This sort of future is probably even more realistic than DGs Jet.

Typical Scenario then would be to lift vertically to the height where Fusion Jet is allowed to be turned on (say 80-100 km) and put the rest of the burden on the Fusion Jet. With such a crazy effectiveness you would probably even not bother with orbits alignments and all that when going to other planets :p

P.S.
If I'm allowed to be a bit futuristic
I think such an engine might be done within this (maximum plus a couple of next) centuries.
We (our sons and GRANDsons to be more exact :)) will start building a Laboratory on the Moon (NOT in Orbit!) to tune the technology within next 100-150 years. And as soon as Laboratory constructed all things will be done real fast :speakcool:

P.P.S.
It's a bit amusing that it might happen that while mankind is able to reach other stars and build powerful industrial complexes around our Solar System (primarily on the Moon), our old beautiful Earth would still not allow to leave her anyway but with old-fashioned chemical propulsion.
A kind of a well known "Last Mile Problem" from an ancient information era :)

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
to have a thrust of approx. 300 kN (equivalent to 30 tons above Earth) current chemical machines should burn smth like 100 kg/s;
That would make fuel amount effectively unlimited (when used in vacuum) on short distances (I mean within our Solar System ;))

I've always hoped that propulsion technology with "magic" Isp (like the DG) were possible.

You give me great hopes for the future of spaceflight!

Qualqua

Reaction score
Fusion RuleZ :)

Penlu, your ideas are not crazy at all!

Thermonuclear reactions IS the future, no doubt about it :)

Would be very logical to have some addon or intrinsically possible in future DGs to turn on Fusion Propulsion from 80-100 km above the ground or so.

IMHO, mankind will engineer Fusion Propulsion even sooner than Fusion Reactors for Electricity Generation.
Basis for this my humble opinion is twofold:
1) "free" (very good) vacuum around;
2) no need to stabilize hot plasma but instead (partially magnetically deflect and) emit it.

As we may approximate the exhaust speed of the jet to be smth. around 30 000 km/s, that means they are 4 orders of magnitude (10 thousand times!) more efficient than current chemical stuff (or 3 orders of magnitude than DG).

This sort of future is probably even more realistic than DGs Jet.

Typical Scenario then would be to lift vertically to the height where Fusion Jet is allowed to be turned on (say 80-100 km) and put the rest of the burden on the Fusion Jet. With such a crazy effectiveness you would probably even not bother with orbits alignments and all that when going to other planets :p

P.S.
If I'm allowed to be a bit futuristic
I think such an engine might be done within this (maximum plus a couple of next) centuries.
We (our sons and GRANDsons to be more exact :)) will start building a Laboratory on the Moon (NOT in Orbit!) to tune the technology within next 100-150 years. And as soon as Laboratory constructed all things will be done real fast :speakcool:

P.P.S.
It's a bit amusing that it might happen that while mankind is able to reach other stars and build powerful industrial complexes around our Solar System (primarily on the Moon), our old beautiful Earth would still not allow to leave her anyway but with old-fashioned chemical propulsion.
A kind of a well known "Last Mile Problem" from an ancient information era :)

-----Post Added-----

Hm... My Post strangely doubled :hmm:

You give me great hopes for the future of spaceflight!

my pleasure :)
MajorTom it's real!
NASA's already "thinking" about it.

The major problem with such a Fusion Jet is a "start up" money.
Once the technology is developed it's not gonna be costly to make it (many of them).

In it's "perfect" form this Fusion Jet is so cheap in terms of fuel consumption that this kind of scenario is possible:

The problematic "Last Mile" from Earth:
No need to install Fusion Jet on every Rocket going into space!
Instead there might be (near)vertical launch to the height where Fusion is allowed to work... syncronically one of the orbiting platforms with Fusion Jet drops orbital speed and height (effectively "hovering") so that it meets the Target (Payload) at needed height with zero relative speed, captures it and accelerates again into orbit or wherever else.

Let's calculate a bit
Assume such operation would take 15 minutes, Platform Weight 10 tons, small payload (say 1 ton),
then this operation gonna cost us somewhat less than 5 kg of deuterium (I assumed average consumption of 5 g/s for above parameters).

P.S.
There are many speculations about using He3 for fusion which is really nice in terms of radiation safety etc. (for Jet efficiency it's also better).
But for the beginig of the project it's Ok to use ordinary Deu (which is widespread - 0,02% to H1).

penlu

Reaction score
An orbital space booster... hmm... that could get rather interesting.

A problem is that fusion could probably blow away the launch pad you launched from. What we REALLY need to see is an antimatter engine. Weeeee!

Fusion could be used for a deep space vehicle the size of a DG. I'd bet that with a well-aimed burn, you could fire yourself to Jupiter within a month. Good luck maneuvering in orbit! The laws of orbital mechanics could probably even be ignored because of the high speeds. If you accelerated at 1 G and then turned around at the halfway point and decelerated at 1 G, then 1.) would you end up exceeding light speed? And 2.) how long would it take to get there?

-----Post Added-----

To Jupiter from Earth at opposition, I mean.

Qualqua

Reaction score
A problem is that fusion could probably blow away the launch pad you launched from.
Well, that's not a major problem in this context ;)
Probably the major one is to make a thermonuclear jet working at atmospheric pressure.

What we REALLY need to see is an antimatter engine.
well, that's more powerful of course but far less realistic within next couple of centuries or so :) thermonuclear will do just fine :)

...I'd bet that with a well-aimed burn, you could fire yourself to Jupiter within a month.
a bit more than 7 days is enough ;) for the worst case planet configuration (the worst case is the maximum distance between Earth and Jupiter - 6.4 AU)

If you accelerated at 1 G and then turned around at the halfway point and decelerated at 1 G, then 1.) would you end up exceeding light speed? And 2.) how long would it take to get there?

In the first hand you can't reach light speed by any means )
But if you mean reaching speeds close to the speed of light when "relativity laws" may no longer be ignored then it's gonna take whole lotta time anyway T=c/g = 3e7 s which is a bit less than a year

By that time you gonna be pretty far: almost half a "lightyear" away )