Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score

This is my attempt at distinguishing between the two plans:

1. House plan: includes gov't built HLV, extends shuttle, plans to the Moon(?)

2. Senate plan: includes private companies flying cargo and/or astronauts to ISS, extending the shuttle, Orion as main gov't U.S. spacecraft

Please correct me if I'm wrong in any of these, please :).

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
This is my attempt at distinguishing between the two plans:

1. House plan: includes gov't built HLV, extends shuttle, plans to the Moon(?)

2. Senate plan: includes private companies flying cargo and/or astronauts to ISS, extending the shuttle, Orion as main gov't U.S. spacecraft

Please correct me if I'm wrong in any of these, please :).

Plan 1 gives an HLV but no spacecraft, Plan 2 gives a spacecraft but no HLV - so neither are any good! ;)

anemazoso

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
NY Times: As Space Priorities Shift, Orbiting Station Takes On a Central Role

the chances of a [micrometeoroid] strike severe enough to require evacuation were about 1 in 100 over a six-month period. Over 10 years, the cumulative risk is nearly 1 in 5.

WOW! Thats like russian roulette!

Also I think it is important to note that Dragon is the only craft in the near term capable of down mass, SpaceX docs say it has a down mass capability of 2500 lbs I think. Soyuz, ATV, HTV, Progress and Cygnus don't/won't have that. Should be a no brainer.

:cheers:

anemazoso

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
From the fuel depot study article.

A HLV – of any kind – is not listed in any current ULA or commercial documentation, with experts claiming such a vehicle isn’t required under the EELV and propellant depot architecture.

anemazoso

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For the transition from Earth to Mars, however, SpaceX believes nuclear thermal is the preferred propulsion means for the piloted aspect of the mission, while solar-electric power could be used to transport supplies.

Gotta love the way these guys think. And to me this is right on the money.

What really bothers me is how anyone (commenters on NASA WATCH or The Space Review in particular) could disparage SpaceX and Elon. If you are a true HFS enthusiast you have to recognise Elon and crew's desire to see some real exploration.

---------- Post added 08-06-10 at 06:12 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-05-10 at 04:17 PM ----------

NASA Watch: Senate Passes NASA Authorization Act

spaceflightnow.com: Senate Approves Bill Adding Extra Shuttle Flight

:hotcool::headbang::banana:

Now if we can only get those chumps in the lower house to comply with the Senate bill....

Last edited:

anemazoso

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Washington Post: What's mising from the bold plans for Human Spaceflight

This editorial is really lite. My response would be "What's missing from the bold plans for Human Spaceflight editorial?" ..... substance.

If a respected paper such as WP is going to tackle this subject they should devote a little more ink to it. It's not something you can sum up in 3-4 paragraphs.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, saying that Mars by 2025 is just too "ambitious" is a little too easy... They should at least try to give a few reasons why (other than "it's just too expensive").

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The following is from the a commenter on NASA Watch named "YoungEngineer" from the SpaceX article posted on NASA Watch.

The Marshall-1 engine design is not documented by NASA at all, it would be nice if he could provide a link to any NASA report about this engine.

Even if it would, there is no copyright on gas-generator cycle engines inside NASA. Those had been invented by ze germans (The A-4 is the first documented use of a pump-fed gas generator cycle engine). MSFC did design many theoretical gas-generator cycle engines in its history, but the actual hardware was designed by Rocketdyne. It is still pretty doubtful that the Merlin-1C engine of the Falcon 9 is based on NASA design... There is no other kerolox engine in the world that has the following traits, as far as I can tell:

• Gas-generator cycle.
  • regenerative cooling by kerosene (pretty rare).
  • kerosene from high-pressure pump tapped off for hydraulics (not very common)
  • about 600 kN vacuum thrust.
  • Tilting exhaust duct for roll control (common).

http://www.astronautix.com/engines/merlin1c.htm

And still: That the Merlin engine is no high-tech product is even desired by SpaceX. It is for cutting costs, why it uses a primitive technology that works with simpler testing.

Last edited: