News Reporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

anemazoso

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
NASA Watch: "Here We Go Again: Do More With Less"

Days before the compromise was announced, NASA chief Charlie Bolden and Deputy Lori Garver told its two champions -- U.S. Sens. Bill Nelson, D-Florida and Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas -- that NASA could not finish the proposed new rocket before 2020, according to three sources present at the meetings.

What about the side mount? What about just using Delta IV heavy? This is all a bunch of nonsence! What ever happened to the "Can-Do" American spirit!!! To many poeple use the word can't (or some variation) way too much these days.

Politics and agency turf wars need to be removed from this debate or we are going to sit around watching another decade go by with no progress.

:facepalm:

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed the Orlando Sentinel article linked on NASA Wacth was already posted.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
"Can do" is one thing another of the space race was always "No bucks, no buck rogers".

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Committee Approves Three-Year Authorization That Sets Realistic, Sustainable Path for NASA.

Spaceflight Now: "Competing NASA bills on collision course in Congress".

Space Politics: "Senate committee makes quick work of NASA appropriations bill".

Congressman Pete Olson: "Olson applauds committee action on NASA authorization bill".

SpaceRef: "NASA Legislation Embraced by Appropriations Committee Presents Unified Senate Position on Space".

SpaceRef: "AIA Statement Urging Congress to Pass NASA Authorization Act of 2010".

Houston Chronicle: "House committee action could spell relief for NASA's JSC".

Florida Today: "House aligns for one more shuttle flight".

SpaceRef: "House Committee supports full competition on shuttle decision".

Florida Today: "KSC bid for orbiter hits snag in House".

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Some more articles:

SPACE.com: "Senate Panel Cuts Commercial Spaceship Funding for NASA".

Space Politics: "House committee approves authorization bill with some changes".

CNN: "What will inspire tomorrow's rocket scientists?".

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Via SpacePolicyOnline:

Markup Info for NASA, NOAA bills from Yesterday.

Senate Appropriations Markup of the Commerce-Justice-Science Appropriations bill for FY2011.
Press Release.
Audio of markup session.
Committee report (S. Rept. 111-229).

House Science and Technology Committee Markup of NASA Authorization Bill.
Press Release.
Amendments that were adopted.
Bill text (H.R. 5781) as introduced.

---------- Post added 24th Jul 2010 at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was 23rd Jul 2010 at 10:26 PM ----------

AmericaSpace: "A Message From NASA's Administrator".

Last edited:

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Orbinaut Pete, is this how much you can read in one day?? :facepalm:

I never said I read all of them, I just come across them/get them sent to me & I post them for people that do! :)

I didn't know that we had a new :facepalm: smiley!

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

Ha, did anyone really expect these guys to die quietly? Time for round II...

Space Politics: "Commercial space advocates regroup".

---------- Post added 25th Jul 2010 at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was 24th Jul 2010 at 11:43 PM ----------

Florida Today: "Shuttle shutdown could launch sales of collectibles".

Last edited:

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
I know a lot of people getting laid off (some of whom(?) they already knew about it way before the notice).

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
I know a lot of people getting laid off (some of whom(?) they already knew about it way before the notice).

I can't believe they're still laying people off - surely they should wait until NASA's future becomes "official" before they lay more people off? There are still some fairly powerful people in Congress (Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison) who want a Shuttle extension until new commercial spacecraft are fully operational (which could mean an extension into 2014 or later).

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

More on the CSIS report:

Space News: "New Report Urges U.S. To Overhaul Launch Policies".

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

Space News: "Wolf: Prospects Bleak for Timely Passage of NASA Spending Bill".

Space Policy Online: "Wolf: U.S. Must Be Number One in Space, Not Cooperate with China".

SpaceRef: "CSF Welcomes New Members".

Popular Mechanics: "Is NASA Being Set Up To Fail (Again)? Analysis".

Last edited:

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Just got an e-mail from a contact at USA: she says her job is safe until Christmas. I'll call around later in the week to see if anyone else I know is being let go (sooner or later).

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Florida Today: "USA workers on notice".

SPACE.com: "More Than 1,300 Space Shuttle Workers Get Layoff Notices".

Space Politics: "Wolf makes few predictions about the NASA appropriations process".

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Space Policy Online: "Congress Sends FY2010 Supplemental to the President, Constellation Language Included".

Florida Today's "The Flame Trench" Blog: "Supplemental war bill includes NASA provision on Constellation".

---------- Post added 29th Jul 2010 at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was 28th Jul 2010 at 07:42 PM ----------

Space Politics: "House approves Constellation language, but does it still matter?".

Space News: "NASA Bill Headed for Vote in House".

Space Politics: "House to take up authorization bill this week after all".

Space Politics: "SpaceX, suborbital advocates fight NASA authorization bill".

Space News: "Commercial Space Advocates Rally To Stall NASA Authorization Bill".

Florida Today's "The Flame Trench" Blog: "SpaceX rallies opposition to House NASA bill".

SpaceRef: "Your Help Urgently Needed to Save the Future of Human Spaceflight".

The Huntsville Times: "NASA didn't break the law, but did it break its promise to contractors?".

Houston Chronicle's/Eric Berger's "SciGuy" Blog: "So the Aggies want a space shuttle ...".

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

A funny (and sadly true) cartoon:

Going_out_of_Business.jpg

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Discovery News: "Stealth Funding for NASA's Constellation".

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Check out this awesome NASA commercial - this is exactly what NASA should mean & do!​

Last edited:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I just got a frantic email from SpaceX:

SpaceX said:
NASA’s Authorization bill (H.R. 5781) will be debated on the floor of the US House of Representatives tomorrow. Despite the imminent retirement of the Space Shuttle, H.R. 5781 authorizes over five times as many taxpayer dollars to fly NASA astronauts on the Russian Soyuz than it invests in developing an American commercial alternative, moreover at a time when jobs are sorely needed in the United States. Quite simply, this bill represents the sort of senseless pork politics that has driven our national debt to the point where our economy can barely service it.

No surprise that Musk is pissed... d0h! But... is it true?

The bill passed the House of Representatives and can be found here:
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:h5781rh.txt.pdf

A few extracts:
Money for NASA:
2011: 19 billion
2012: 19.45 billion
2013: 19.96 billion

Within the budget, money for COTS and for commercial crew activities:
2011: 14 million for COTS, 50 million for commercial crew activities
2012: 0 COTS (that I could find), 50 million for commercial crew activities
2013: 0 COTS, 50 million for commercial crew activities

I don't know what category the Soyuz falls into and what bits and pieces Musk might have omitted, to make the email scarier. So, if anyone's willing to take look at it, I'd be grateful :)

The bill is 110 pages long. I only read Title 1 - Authorization of appropriations, but interesting read :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Sounds fitting... each seat on Soyuz is 50 million USD. 150 million USD for COTS is not that much then.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Wow... at 50e6$ the seat, Russia makes an interesting profit... The whole Soyuz launch vehicle (capsule included) costs a lot less than that if I remember well) :hmm:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Wow... at 50e6$ the seat, Russia makes an interesting profit... The whole Soyuz launch vehicle (capsule included) costs a lot less than that if I remember well) :hmm:

Well, if NASA does not want to pay the price, they could go to the competitors... :lol:

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
SPACE.com: "Ambitious Venus Mission Ideas Include Robots, Planes, Humans".

NASASpaceFlight: "MOD positioning for potential Flagship Technology Demonstrations role".

Pretty cool stuff! :thumbup: :speakcool:

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

FYI, NASA legend [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Hale"]Wayne Hale[/ame] is retiring today. The NASA brain drain continues. :(
Good luck to a great man.

Wayne Hale via Twitter said:
Last Friday - last day! - at NASA. Last commute, last time to put on the office coffee, time to turn in the badge and move on.

3 NASA Flight Directors retiring today: Antares (Bob Castle), Arcturus (John Curry), and Turquoise (me). Our billets go to young people!