AMSO New AMSO version 1.22 released

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hello Orbinauts,

Alain Capt has surprised us with a new version of AMSO for Orbiter 2010-P1. Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin landed on the Moon July 20, 1969. Therefore, the 50th anniversary celebration is coming just in a few months. So, I hope you can enjoy coming events with AMSO and updated D3D9Client16.7 for 2010-P1.

April 1st isn’t the most ideal day to publish something like this, but this one is for real. :lol:

Here's a link to Dan's Forums and the release announcement in better detail:
http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/in...?topic=14358.0

AMSO: https://www.acsoft.ch/AMSO/amso.html
D3D9: http://users.kymp.net/~p501474a/D3D9Client/

:cheers:

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Nice! Guess I have a reason now to reinstall Orbiter 2010. Doesn't seem like he's planning on updating to Orbiter 2016 though.

moonheart

Reaction score
This is really a surprise and wonderful news - many thanks!

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
that's amazing... too bad it's not for Orbiter2016 :(

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
that's amazing... too bad it's not for Orbiter2016 :(

Not surprising given how much investment AMSO has with the Orbiter 2010 "engine"...imagine how much work it would be to change the touchdown points of ALL of the objects that touch the surface. Plus, what would you do with the custom local terrain now that there is global (lunar) terrain?

Orbiter 2010 is worth keeping around for older add-on capability- some real treasures were made in the Orbiter 2010 era. And these are not dead yet, either.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
I thought Jarmonik is f**king with us, as this is the April Fools' Day.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Not surprising given how much investment AMSO has with the Orbiter 2010 "engine"...imagine how much work it would be to change the touchdown points of ALL of the objects that touch the surface. Plus, what would you do with the custom local terrain now that there is global (lunar) terrain?

Orbiter 2010 is worth keeping around for older add-on capability- some real treasures were made in the Orbiter 2010 era. And these are not dead yet, either.

I agree about this for sure. I have to say that the visual enhancemnt of the new Orbiter2016 is so stunning that from my point of view is worth the tentative of updating the old addons. If the code was available I would try to do it myself.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Regarding custom terrain, there's no need for it on 2016. The high resolution moon textures are good enough so that you can place surface features as landed vessels on the correct surface coordinates.

A good option for 2016 would be AAPO. The source for that is available.
I think you'd only need to remove UGCO/UMMU and add touchdown points.

This being said, I keep Orbiter 2006 for Mercury, so no problem in keeping 2010 ...

barrygolden

Reaction score
picture.php
Ok this for 2010 and is it ready to be downloaded ? Here Apollo 5 and an advanced Apollo Base might need to be added to AMSO

4th rock I watched your Apollo 9 EVA video again and it is super !

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

There is a project in the works to deploy an advanced Lunar Base
picture.php
[/IMG]

Last edited:

pappy2

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
a small series of images to support the new version of AMSO.

thanks to ACSoft and and Jarmovik for this update.
Orbiter 2010 is not dead !!!!

Marg

Reaction score
Great pictures, but... no. Orbiter 2016 has a terrain and a lot of other features.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 AM ----------

Great pictures, but... no. Orbiter 2016 has a terrain and a lot of other features.

You know that it is not an either-or, right? You can have both versions.

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
Alain actually contacted me on the 19th of last month about this new release, with a statement to post if I wanted to. Since I'd been away from the forum, I'd not seen that I'd received a new message until now. It seems as though the cat's out of the bag now, I've asked Alain if I should post the statement, despite the release already having happened.

---------- Post added 04-12-19 at 03:49 AM ---------- Previous post was 04-11-19 at 09:34 PM ----------

Ah, Alain says that Jarmo already posted it on Dan’s Orbiter Forum, all water under the bridge!

barrygolden

Reaction score
Getting an Apollo addon up in 2016 should be a hi priority. Love the screen shots but so far unable to load
d3d9 up yet but hope so soon.

4th rock i saw the Apollo 7 video you cleaned up and it looks super keep at it my friend and a white CM for this new Apollo would be nice as well. Maybe someone will do an updated skylab as well

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
I agree about this for sure. I have to say that the visual enhancemnt of the new Orbiter2016 is so stunning that from my point of view is worth the tentative of updating the old addons. If the code was available I would try to do it myself.

I asked him some time ago if there are plans for Orbiter 2016. This was his response:

Unfortunately not.

An update to Orbiter 2016 would represent a tremendous work. Moreover, my friend graphist has left the project since very long now and without him, it would be simply impossible to do this. As you probably known AMSO use giant fake landed vessels, in order to simulate moon landing terrain. All these tricky parts would have to be fully redone.

Best Regards,

Alain Capt

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I asked him some time ago if there are plans for Orbiter 2016. This was his response:

yes, he told me more or less the same. TBH I do not agree completely on the tremendous work etc etc, but it is his project so it's up to him. :shrug:

ShuttleCommander

Reaction score
Please note, the Apollo 11 scenarios do not work with the new reflections feature added in
D3D9Client version R16.7. Alain will fix this in the near future.:)