"New Space"

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
With the success of SpaceX's fourth Falcon 1 flight, even a bitter old curmudgeon like me has occasional, brief flashes of hope. I thought I'd start a thread devoted to the general topic of the prospects for "New Space" with a link to a short little blog post I came across that discusses the similarities and differences between the New Space businesses and the Internet and digital media business, c. early 1990s:

http://62mileclub.com/62mileblog/?p=311

At the extreme level of generality of that piece, I think it's accurate. The big questions lie in the details, though, and there are still lots of them that lie ahead ...

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Space, I think, is just getting interesting.

It used to be just Russia & America battling each other for supremacy.
But now, Russia & America are working together.
The ISS is nearly completed.
We are going back to the moon, to see in all our modern HD glory.
China are building a space station.
The ESA are developing their own manned space program
Japan are developing their own manned space program
India are now well on their way to being able to access space, along with Iran.
America are building a moonbase, and other countries want to follow & help out.
There is talk now of man walking on Mars...
Private space companies are now setting up, like SpaceX.
Space joyrides are now available, with companies like Space Adventures & Virgin Galactic.
Richard Branson is looking to build a Space Hotel...

The days of America & Russia are ending.....
Space is just starting to get interesting!!!!!

Moonwalker

Reaction score
We shouldn't forget that ESA does space flight for almost 30 years. China launched its first satellite almost 40 years ago already. And we have NASA and Roscosmos of course for a half century now. I don't think that space has become more interesting as in the glory days of the 1960's when everything started with more enthusiasm and more public interest than today. We just have a little bit more action today with the Shenzhou and Falcon now in orbit (and the ATV as well).

I'm not that much convinced yet that SpaceX will launch its manned capsule soon or that the Chinese will build a space station soon. Also, governmental spaceflight still is much more powerful than private industries.

But SpaceX indeed is something new in the spaceflight business.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm actually looking forward to the ESA's manned space program, since I haven't heard much about it before now (read: almost nothing). I wonder if their vehicle will be in orbit before SpaceX's Dragon is.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
There are still obstacles to overcome in order to give the general public relatively cheap access to LEO. A few reasons spaceflight is so expensive are 1) on-pad time on very complex launch pads, 2) the general lack of competition in the commercial sector, 3) the lack of a destination aside from the ISS, and 4) the fact that most rockets shed expensive parts on the way to orbit as if they are going out of style.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score