OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
New release.

Rebranded as -

Orbiter Battle Simulation Project 090407

OBSP.JPG

New in this version -

• When you die, orbiter pauses and shows an Annotation.
  • Fixed the docking missile bug.
  • The Missile is faster.
  • Fixed the CTD bug when two weapons collide with each other.
  • 3 Default DLLs to be used as weapon modules.
  • Safer, polished code.
  • A new weapon - A shell.
  • Fixed the bug where bombs would wait a few seconds before exploding (in ground explosions).
Happy killings :p

I'm now working on guidance autopilots for the missiles. Could anyone help me with this?

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Bug report:
It seems that if I fire a series of missiles into the same spot, sometimes Orbiter will crash when the first one impacts.

Request:
When you die... is it absolutely a must to quit Orbiter? I mean... I tried to spawn another vessel through the scenario editor cos I hate waiting for Orbiter to load up all the time... but I couldn't do anything. Trying to end the pause will crash Orbiter...

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Bug report:
It seems that if I fire a series of missiles into the same spot, sometimes Orbiter will crash when the first one impacts.
Damn. Seems to be still very buggy.

Request:
When you die... is it absolutely a must to quit Orbiter? I mean... I tried to spawn another vessel through the scenario editor cos I hate waiting for Orbiter to load up all the time... but I couldn't do anything. Trying to end the pause will crash Orbiter...

Download again - the pausing is now optional. It can do a CTD anyway, after it changes ship.

When you use scenario editor, orbiter might be crashing because it's forcing pause (calling oapiSetSimPause every timestep), which might mess up ScnEditor.

Last edited:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Damn. Seems to be still very buggy.

Well... yea, but it's still a Beta.

Downloaded the new thing and so far I could find a few cases of "faulty bombs":

Faulty.jpg

See the "Explosion" at the bottom? :p

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well... yea, but it's still a Beta.

Downloaded the new thing and so far I could find a few cases of "faulty bombs":

Faulty.jpg

See the "Explosion" at the bottom? :p

Lol! Like your green theme thing, btw :p

The faulty bomb fix is coming soon. And :thankyou: for testing it out.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Actually, I was looking for a screenshot of another bug that someone else already pointed out and appeared to me as well...

Sometimes when you drop the nuclear bomb, the mushroom cloud is tilted sideways or is even toppled over.
Also... the mushroom cloud from the blast should stay a bit more. I know you don't wanna cover a large area with a mesh for too long, but I think that 5 seconds or whatever it's set at right now is a bit too low.
Besides, due to texturing and rough shape of the cloud, I'm figuring it won't stay in the final release and am expecting someone to make a more detailed and animated mushroom cloud. And if the cloud is made to rise higher into the sky, I think it'll be a nice sight to see for a minute or so and won't block the ground.

One more suggestion... could you make missiles and bombs appear not in the dead middle of the vessel, but a bit to the left and a bit to the right... so if you fire missiles in a sequence, one will appear under the left, one under the right wing and then left again... that would give a huge "cool factor", would add to realism a bit and would allow one to fire a sequence of rockets without blowing yourself up right away.

Keep up the good work! This will definitely be a must-have addon when it's released :speakcool:
I hope it will work with the multiplayer... would be nice to have some kickass space battles ;)

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How do you select your target?

Can't yet. No guidance or targeting whatsoever. yet.

Actually, I was looking for a screenshot of another bug that someone else already pointed out and appeared to me as well...

Sometimes when you drop the nuclear bomb, the mushroom cloud is tilted sideways or is even toppled over.
Also... the mushroom cloud from the blast should stay a bit more. I know you don't wanna cover a large area with a mesh for too long, but I think that 5 seconds or whatever it's set at right now is a bit too low.
Besides, due to texturing and rough shape of the cloud, I'm figuring it won't stay in the final release and am expecting someone to make a more detailed and animated mushroom cloud. And if the cloud is made to rise higher into the sky, I think it'll be a nice sight to see for a minute or so and won't block the ground.
The cloud topples over sometimes because it still has the same velocity of the bomb. I'm trying to fix that right now - should be done by next release. As for the time that the explosions stay for - you can change that. Look in Orbiter/Config/combat.cfg and change "DelExplodeTime" to whatever time you want (and remember, it's in miliseconds!).

You're right about that mesh not being in the final release. I don't have the modelling skills to make a better one. I plan to make explosion animations + particle streams to make it better looking.

One more suggestion... could you make missiles and bombs appear not in the dead middle of the vessel, but a bit to the left and a bit to the right... so if you fire missiles in a sequence, one will appear under the left, one under the right wing and then left again... that would give a huge "cool factor", would add to realism a bit and would allow one to fire a sequence of rockets without blowing yourself up right away.
I could do that, but tbh it's best left up to the type of vessel. A convenient place to fire a missile on a DG would be inconvenient on ISS. Coming soon.

Keep up the good work! This will definitely be a must-have addon when it's released :speakcool:
I hope it will work with the multiplayer... would be nice to have some kickass space battles ;)

When the OMP people finish, That will be my main objective ;)

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Seems to me that the "faulty bomb" bug has to do with scenarios. The bombs work in the test scenario "CombatMFD test.scn" that you provided, but don't work in any of the other scenarios I try... I have a scenario with a DG, a separate one with an XR5 and also a separate one with the X37, which is based on the Spacecraft3.. also, if I try a default DG scenario, it doesn't work either so it seems to be that it's scenario specific...

But I couldn't find anything in your scenario that would make a difference so I'm really puzzled here. It's not ship-specific either, since the default DG scenario doesn't work either.

In the default scenario, the Fat Man bomb doesn't blow up either, but it messes things up further - DG partually or fully disappears, the exhaust plume disappears and the white smoke puff behind it disappears...
It happened a few times now...

FatMan1.jpg

FatMan2.jpg

FatMan3.jpg

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

One more:

If you're holding down a key - something like rolling or pitching your vessel while the nuclear weapons hit the ground, there's a chance Orbiter will crash.

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Ha...

Turns out Fat Man sometimes work. I just dropped three in a row and the first one was faulty, the second one blew me up.

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

Another bug:
Sometimes when you blow yourself up, and there are other vessels the Orbiter can switch to, it will switch and then crash... but I don't know if that's something you can fix...

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It seems that Orbiter doesn't like spawning and deleting objects rapidly... if I fire 10 rockets or 10 bombs in a sequence, one or two will detonate, then Orbiter crashes.

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

That's priceless.:rofl:

They say you can't take your money with you after you die... but I'll try to sneak Orbiter in :rofl:

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Seems to me that the "faulty bomb" bug has to do with scenarios. The bombs work in the test scenario "CombatMFD test.scn" that you provided, but don't work in any of the other scenarios I try... I have a scenario with a DG, a separate one with an XR5 and also a separate one with the X37, which is based on the Spacecraft3.. also, if I try a default DG scenario, it doesn't work either so it seems to be that it's scenario specific...

But I couldn't find anything in your scenario that would make a difference so I'm really puzzled here. It's not ship-specific either, since the default DG scenario doesn't work either.
It shouldn't be scenario specific. Try the 1st checklist scenario "Mission 1 - DG to ISS". Drop a bomb - it should explode fine.

In the default scenario, the Fat Man bomb doesn't blow up either, but it messes things up further - DG partually or fully disappears, the exhaust plume disappears and the white smoke puff behind it disappears...
It happened a few times now...

Erm, is that on a clean install? I am really am stumped on that. Although, whilst I've been using it, I've got the old black sky problem. To fix that problem, you have to download a few DLLs.

Interestingly, AA Missile, another combat addon requires like 5 extra DLLs to get it working properly. I will have to look into it and find out why.
---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

One more:

If you're holding down a key - something like rolling or pitching your vessel while the nuclear weapons hit the ground, there's a chance Orbiter will crash.

I'll have to look into that. I don't know what it could be. I have a suspicion that some of these bugs are due to the fact that the mushroom cloud mesh is so big + complex.

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Ha...

Turns out Fat Man sometimes work. I just dropped three in a row and the first one was faulty, the second one blew me up.

I must fix that.It's to do with the touchdown points. Will be fixed next release.

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

Another bug:
Sometimes when you blow yourself up, and there are other vessels the Orbiter can switch to, it will switch and then crash... but I don't know if that's something you can fix...

Yes. I've no idea why tbh. Added to "Known bugs".

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
New nuclear blast mesh...it have 3 parts,maybe to make it with animation,scaling,maybe longer mesh life after nuclear blast...

Last edited:

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It seems that Orbiter doesn't like spawning and deleting objects rapidly... if I fire 10 rockets or 10 bombs in a sequence, one or two will detonate, then Orbiter crashes.

Yes, that could well be the problem.

New nuclear blast mesh...it have 3 parts,maybe to make it with animation,scaling,maybe longer mesh life after nuclear blast...

Thanks Liber :D I've just ran some tests with that mesh - set LimitedAmmo to false and fired 20 fat men (fat mans??) They all exploded, no CTDs :D I will make that the defalt mesh.

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
I've got a bug.
Every explosion ends with an orbiter crash.:(

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've got a bug.
Every explosion ends with an orbiter crash.:(

These bugs seem to differ between computers. Some of the bugs RisingFury has mentioned don't happen on my PC. Which can be a sign of a program requiring certain DLLs etc. If someone could download these DLLs, drop into C:/windows/System32 , try out OBSP for bugs again, tell me if you find any. Thank you :)

msvcr71.dll

msvcp71.dll

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
These bugs seem to differ between computers. Some of the bugs RisingFury has mentioned don't happen on my PC. Which can be a sign of a program requiring certain DLLs etc. If someone could download these DLLs, drop into C:/windows/System32 , try out OBSP for bugs again, tell me if you find any. Thank you :)

msvcr71.dll

msvcp71.dll
FYI: If you're on a 64-bit machine, they need to go into C:\windows\SysWOW64 rather than ...\System32.

Alternately, most of the time you can just drop them into the Orbiter directory.

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
I installed the dlls and bug isn't fixed.
On every explosion my orbiter crashes.:compbash: