BETA Release OGLAClient status release 090612

Disconnect

Reaction score
Sounds serious.
What GPU, OS?
Is it reproducible?
Any screenshots of "window frames looks like a heavy compressed jpeg"?

radeon hd3850, vista x64 sp1 & sp2 (i installed clean vista sp2 yesterday), with the latest catalyst (on sp1 was 9.3, now im using 9.6).
But nearly the same happening, exept the window frame glitches, those aren't appear now. But it was look like a heavily compressed video/ picture, with "blocking".
Now just the screen freezes, and fall apart, then become black, and then after some seconds it comes back, with a message balloon "Display driver stopped responding, but recovered."

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

now i replaced the needed msvcr71.dll what i get from dll-files.com, but the one from the java jre 6.14, and now ogla is working.
But the planet textures looks much lower resolution than in d3d7 client, when all settings are the same (no af too):

[img=http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/84/ogla.png]

And you can see one of the glithes on the opera browser frame (the text), what is caused by running ogla.

bpops

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Website
picasaweb.google.com
I'm an off-and-on visitor of these forums, so excuse the perhaps naive question:

Some of those screenshots, Artlav, show the MFDs. I had thought there was a problem with displaying MFDs in OpenGL, since it relied on something specific to Direct X. Are there new developments I've missed, or something else?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
But the planet textures looks much lower resolution than in d3d7 client, when all settings are the same (no af too):
What texture sets do you have installed? The OGLA LOD system is inherently less sharp then Martin's one, at benefit of terrain drawing ability.
But there are also unexpected texture format changes in the beta every now and then.

Some of those screenshots, Artlav, show the MFDs. I had thought there was a problem with displaying MFDs in OpenGL, since it relied on something specific to Direct X. Are there new developments I've missed, or something else?
Yes, there was. As a result, the 2D drawing part was entirelly redesigned on the core side - instead of GDI it is now done with Orbiter's own set of classes. These classes are to be implemented by whatever graphics client is used, allowing full portability of MFD's and similar parts.

bpops

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Website
picasaweb.google.com
Yes, there was. As a result, the 2D drawing part was entirelly redesigned on the core side - instead of GDI it is now done with Orbiter's own set of classes. These classes are to be implemented by whatever graphics client is used, allowing full portability of MFD's and similar parts.

Oh, I knew that was in the works but didn't realize it had been finished! That's fantastic!

Looking forward to testing your latest build out this week :)

bpops

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Website
picasaweb.google.com
Artlav,

I've tested your build out on my machine. I'm using a TH2G, and so am running at 3840 x 1024.

I first ran in windowed mode and it worked fine.. but then I attempted to run in full-screen (which I wasn't sure if it was supported) -- and no matter the resolution selected, it sizes to 3840, which is great, although the Windows Taskbar never goes away :) (attachment 1)

The only issue I had in the short time I had to test it was the MFDs are exceptionally large (attachment 2). I turned the MFD size down to 1 (attachment 3), but they're still too big. Anything below 1 seems to default to 1. Although I get the same result with the beta build by itself, so this is not a problem, I think, with OGLA.

But man it sure does look great so far!

EDIT: Should have mentioned I'm running Win XP SP3, Nvidia Geforce.

Attachments

• orbiter_wide1.jpg
    orbiter_wide1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 96
  • orbiter_wide2.jpg
    orbiter_wide2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 76
  • orbiter_wide3.jpg
    orbiter_wide3.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 63

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I first ran in windowed mode and it worked fine.. but then I attempted to run in full-screen (which I wasn't sure if it was supported) -- and no matter the resolution selected, it sizes to 3840, which is great, although the Windows Taskbar never goes away :) (attachment 1)
Well, full-screen mode is sort of a side effect in OGLA, it's not directly supported, so something must have overriden the settings. I'll work on it yet.

The only issue I had in the short time I had to test it was the MFDs are exceptionally large (attachment 2). I turned the MFD size down to 1 (attachment 3), but they're still too big. Anything below 1 seems to default to 1. Although I get the same result with the beta build by itself, so this is not a problem, I think, with OGLA.
No, almost certainly not an OGLA problem - all the HUD/MFD sizes and data is passed from the core, to be drawn as given. So, it's not something i can fix.

But man it sure does look great so far!
Speaking about looks. Is there any projective distortions at the left and right edges? The projection usually used in 3D games is not quite designed for such aspect ratios.

smarly

Reaction score
Just tested the OGLA release:

Good thing:
I always had the problem that Orbiter framerate would go down to 1fps as soon as I opened ExtMFD. OGLA seems to be the only graphics client that solves this problem, D3D7 client and orbiter standard client both still have this problem. Framerate is also significantly higher (~ 70 fps) as with other clients (~25 fps).

Bad thing:
The MFDs (both ExtMFD and standard orbiter MFD) are not displayed correctly. Text is blurred and displays sometimes don't update. If I click a button to go to a submenu the captions on the buttons will change but the display will sometimes still show main menu. Also, when I select anything where additional user input is required (e.g. "Target" in Orbit menu) a black box will appear in the middle of the screen.

Hope you can get this fixed, really like the graphics and the framerate I get with OGLA :)

System specifications:
Intel Core2 Duo T9300 @2,5GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
Windows Vista 32 Bit

sunshine135

All Around Good Guy
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Smarly,

Did you check your resolution in the Orbiter Program. That would explain A. The extremely good fps and B. the blurry MFDs

smarly

Reaction score
Yes. Resolution was set to 1600x1200 (Window mode), same resolution I used for all the other clients. Problem is only visible on MFDs, rest of graphics are fine.

Attached a screenshot to illustrate the problem.

Attachments

• ogla02.bmp
    120.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

smarly

Reaction score
I tested it with anti-aliasing off, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x ... result was always the same.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her

cinder1992

Random failhurricane.
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
cinder1992.blogspot.com
Artlav, I have a question. You know the hight-maps that you use for OLGA and Ourlux? how do you make those? I've been designing a Solar System using your Solar System Generator (not telling where I got it ;)) and I wanted to Make some hight-maps for it.

Thanks.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Artlav, I have a question. You know the hight-maps that you use for OLGA and Ourlux? how do you make those? I've been designing a Solar System using your Solar System Generator (not telling where I got it ;)) and I wanted to Make some hight-maps for it.
Many places.
The Orulex/OGLA (why do so many people misspell these simple words?) ones for Moon Mars and Earth are from World Studio downloadable datasets, which are on now-decaying NASA World Wind servers.

Actually making them is done by the program.
The Orulex heightmap is a simple format - 4 bytes each width and height, then signed words of data. Or, you can use a grayscale BMP.

Why heightmaps?
Fractal generator is not good enough?

cinder1992

Random failhurricane.
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
cinder1992.blogspot.com
Craters. the fractal gen is fine for everything else, but when craters come into play... you get things like mountain-range-though-crater-that-has-no-boundry.

usagi

Reaction score
I have an issue:
My gfx card is fairly basic (Intel Express), but i can't get it to render vessel textures. Also, whenever i go into the interior of anything, it CTD's...

ALLLLSO, the moon renders as a pitch-black ball. What'd i do wrong?

Disconnect

Reaction score
Artlav! I saw some orbiter screenshots on your page, and they look awesome. Dont you want to compile a prewiew for us? :)