• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
First off: Tex, wow! Nice video, completely worth the download.
Second: Messierhunter, I posted a mission2 on the OFSS group at the point where the construction phase for that mission was finished, but had not un-docked. I did manage to sucessfully de-orbit, reenter and recover at Wideawake International. If you want it I think it's in the reentry help folder.

KOS

Reaction score
I know I'm completely out for this, but I've managed to see the film of Tex yesterday and I tried to get some information about it and I know about this project just now.

Probably you won't need anymore pilots, but I can fly DGIV, XR-1 and XR-2 with problems regarding reentry (shame on me).

Even if I'm not going to be accepted because I'm late, is there a list of add-ons that are required specifically to play the scenarios ?

Thanks in advance !

Stefano

P.s. = great video Tex by the way.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A list of required Add-ons is inluded here: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4035"]OFSS Mission Pack Rev4.1[/ame] Currently we have enough pilots, but maybe we can have some more later.

KOS

Reaction score
Thanks Astrosammy,

I'll follow the station grow in the meantime, hoping to give a hand sooner or later. And if I don't have the opportunity... at least I'll follow the station growing.

:)

myself

Reaction score
Website
www.gomr.webs.com
And I've only sucessfully deorbited once.

Wow if your in orbit and can deorbit thats pretty good. I keep losing velocity after launches. I have only gotten into orbit successfully once!
Can someone please help me with info needed to get into orbit?
:compbash2::compbash2::compbash2:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Can someone please help me with info needed to get into orbit?

I recommend Bruce Irving's excellent "Go Play In Space" tutorial -- it walks you through every step in detail. You can download it here.

Messierhunter

Reaction score
If you want it I think it's in the reentry help folder.
Thanks, I'd love to, but I missed the boat so I didn't make the cut of the current 30 pilots. I'm glad to hear the idea has been implemented though and I hope more of us get the chance to participate. If ever you guys need a second pool of pilots whose only role is to do reentries for others, count me in.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Thanks for the comments on my video all! :cheers:

Thanks, I'd love to, but I missed the boat so I didn't make the cut of the current 30 pilots. I'm glad to hear the idea has been implemented though and I hope more of us get the chance to participate. If ever you guys need a second pool of pilots whose only role is to do reentries for others, count me in.

Judging from the success of OFSS so far I have a feeling that once this station is completed we'll build a second, bigger station. Eventually it would be really cool if we even had addon developers building the pieces for the station, but that could get very complicated. For the time being we're just using what's available.

KOS

Reaction score
How many flights are going to be made and when ? I mean, you Tex have done flight number 4, when will it be next launch ?

I've seen the station growing thanks to the last mission parameters with the link that Astrosammy gave me few posts before and it's great. It's not the station itself great.. I mean, everyone can do it , the best thing is that you KNOW that there's someone who got up on orbit, syncronized with the station and placed the piece where you now see it.

It's pretty amazing :)

djidji

Reaction score
is the project dead or astrosammy is simply too busy this time. I can't wait for a new mission :D:D

blaze10001

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I would like to join the group, only as an observer, if not I would like to join flying the DGIV, XR1, XR2, XR5 and possibly STS missions to the station.

Just writing this here so I can join later on.

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am curious about this - is a group construction of a space station? I would love to get involved, but I don't think you are going to need any soyuz pilots.

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
While I am working on my own station, I would like to join as an XR5/XR2/DGIV pilot. Any openings?

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Maybe I could do the first (non-construction) flight to the station, once it is complete in my Soyuz, and document it using video and images, as well as create a report?

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
UPDATE:

I just wanted to update everyone here on the main forum as well as in the group for OFSS. I've tried to contact Astrosammy about a week ago and still haven't gotten any replies. As a result I'll be taking over the project for now. Here is a screen shot of my proposed plan for the station:
NEW_Station_Planning_-_Aug27.jpg

There are some issues with the current OFSS which need to discussed before we proceed however. Currently the primary OFSS structure includes one core piece (Mir-2) from ENERGY project, as well as one Zoe module, and one Artemis module.

Problems:

1. My proposed space station has an orbit inclination around 50-55 degrees. This is to hopefully provide a compromise between an orbit which covers a lot of the land masses as well as an orbit which isn't so far away from the inclination of the Moon allowing smaller plane changes for Moon and interplanetary flights from the space station. Currently OFSS has an inclination closer to that of ISS.
  2. My proposed station has an orbit altitude of 400km. OFSS is around 300k.
  3. My proposed design does not even call for Artemis, so we have a module that is not needed already attached to the station.
  4. My proposed design does not call for any Zoe modules until later in the construction. Since we already have one attached to the station I suppose we'll find a way to use it until needed later.

That being said, does anyone have ideas for these problems? Perhaps we should consider starting from scratch? Please share your thoughts here. This weekend I will sit down and work up mission plans.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Starting from scratch sounds good to me. Astrosammy had a plan in his mind and since he isn't here, we can't make that plan happen.
Your plan looks good to me!

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
UPDATE:
Problems:
My proposed space station has an orbit inclination around 50-55 degrees. This is to hopefully provide a compromise between an orbit which covers a lot of the land masses as well as an orbit which isn't so far away from the inclination of the Moon allowing smaller plane changes for Moon and interplanetary flights from the space station. Currently OFSS has an inclination closer to that of ISS.
Are you using this high inclination for any particular reason? A lot of delta-v will be wasted aligning a spacecraft with the moon's inclination. I would advise sending a Progress/ATV to lower the inclination, unless the 55 degrees is necessary.

My proposed design does not even call for Artemis, so we have a module that is not needed already attached to the station.
Dock it to a Progress during the next resupply mission and take it down with the spacecraft.

My proposed design does not call for any Zoe modules until later in the construction. Since we already have one attached to the station I suppose we'll find a way to use it until needed later.
Yeah, I would just leave it.

That being said, does anyone have ideas for these problems? Perhaps we should consider starting from scratch? Please share your thoughts here. This weekend I will sit down and work up mission plans.
I wouldn't restart the whole thing, that sounds like a bit much. But if you come up with a better and very different design, go for it.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Are you using this high inclination for any particular reason? A lot of delta-v will be wasted aligning a spacecraft with the moon's inclination. I would advise sending a Progress/ATV to lower the inclination, unless the 55 degrees is necessary.

I may have the number wrong... What inc does ISS orbit at? I was proposing we move the inc closer to the Moon, not by a huge amount, but even if we moved it 5-10 degrees closer it could save a considerable amount of fuel for plane changes from the station to the Moon. I don't know about others, but I enjoy leaving a space station for the Moon or coming back from the Moon to a space station. Also, once OFSS is complete I was considering branching into a Moon base or Moon space station construction in which we could launch some flights from OFSS.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'd rather we left it as well. Not only does it give the feel of 'working with what you've got', but I think it can be made to work. As for the change in inclination, I suspect that can be accomplished in game. The current OFSS is at 57-58 deg, no? So we only need to move it 2-5 degrees? We should be able to accomplish that with an XR5 or XR2 flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.