OHM Phobos Hi-Res

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score
phobos_hir.jpg

Author: brianj.

Hi-Res mesh and surface texture for Mars' moon Phobos.
51246 poly, 4096 x 2048 pixel texture.

Adapted from the model and surface texture for Celestia by John Van Vliet.

See readme.txt for installation instructions, credits, etc.

DOWNLOAD

Ark

Reaction score
phobosmarsrise.jpg

Sure looks good, however the mesh seems to be quite a bit bigger than Orbiter actually defines Phobos as being.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looks beautiful but are they really that color?
I think the textures were hand coloured, so probably not. Does look nice, though.

Sure looks good, however the mesh seems to be quite a bit bigger than Orbiter actually defines Phobos as being.
The mesh should be about the same size as the default Orbiter mesh. Parts of the mesh will be above the 11km radius collision-sphere surface, and some parts below.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I had a similar problem, but I never discovered the cause, just a work-around... And yes, it'll work in Orbiter '10 (not sure about latest beta, but I don't know why it wouldn't...).

Anyway. Open the Phobos.msh file with notepad (or whatever) and nearly at the end of the file you'll see the .tex file that the mesh should be 'painted' with. Change it to read phobos.dds instead of phobos_hires.dds.

What this will do is give you the new mesh with the old texture. You can download a hi-res texture from the Orbiter site, and it looks great... Hang on. Picture to follow... That blurry smudge in the middle is an Arrow freighter looking for a landing spot...

Last edited:

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I had a similar problem, but I never discovered the cause, just a work-around... And yes, it'll work in Orbiter '10 (not sure about latest beta, but I don't know why it wouldn't...).

Anyway. Open the Phobos.msh file with notepad (or whatever) and nearly at the end of the file you'll see the .tex file that the mesh should be 'painted' with. Change it to read phobos.dds instead of phobos_hires.dds.

What this will do is give you the new mesh with the old texture. You can download a hi-res texture from the Orbiter site, and it looks great... Hang on. Picture to follow... That blurry smudge in the middle is an Arrow freighter looking for a landing spot...

The Hires texture is 4096x2048, and some GFX-cards don't like that. You could try making a 2048x2048 or even a 4096x4096 version. It's worth a try.

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
Thanks for your suggestions guys...
The results are in, and they're odd... (In order of trying...)

:thumbup: = works
:thumbsdown: = invisible

Old mesh, old tex = :thumbup:

New mesh, new tex = :thumbsdown:

Old mesh, new tex = :thumbsdown:

New mesh, old tex = :thumbsdown: Sorry Phantom Cruiser!

Old mesh, new tex converted to 2048 square = :thumbup: Thanks C3PO!

New mesh, new tex converted to 2048 square = :thumbsdown: What?!

Makes you wonder why this is on the "recommended addons" list... :lol:

EDIT: Sorry, that was a bit harsh, thinking about it. It's just maybe the "recommended addons" list should only have teething-troubleless addons...

The new texture is awesome! Shame II can't get the mesh working...

Last edited:

Quintuss

Reaction score
I downloaded it a week ago, followed readme, and it works like a charm for me :thumbup:

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Oh! I forgot to mention that 4096x2048 works fine on my rig. (Windows 7)

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sorry, I can't answer your question as I haven't used Hall Base add-on. Just thought I'd point out that if you're using Orbiter2016 you have a "landable" surface at Deimos/Phobos, which you won't have if you use this add-on.

fullarmor2

Reaction score
Wow! This Phobos texture looks really nice! Much better than the vanilla texture. And I got Hall Base to look right with it! Just change this line in the Hall Base configuration file, Location = +160 +31.20, to Location = +160 +35.20 . Again nice mod! :thumbup: