News Population hitting 7 billion

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
plenty of unused land for agriculture and farming

It is used. By the ecology.

You know... that magical, wonderful phenomenon that is unique in the whole entire universe?

Ah, nevermind, it's worthless, let's light it all on fire. :facepalm:

Totally suppressing human nature will not work out. And if it works out, we aren't talking about humans anymore.

I've never, ever believed in suppressing human rights as a means of population control...but I don't think the alternative is necessarily "Institute Evil Population Growth, Imitate Bacteria".

Others here have suggested encouraging high population growth rates... but don't seem to particularly care about the people involved and their lives, either.

I think we are too easily forgetting that these humans are people, and not just some group of statistics...

I'm not getting why do you regard that wrong in any way. And what is selfish about having many kids? Giving birth and upbringing even a single child is a labour, comparable to a feat. When you do that, the child becomes your focus of life. Anyone (regardless of gender) is capable of tearing life out of 4, 5, 6 or more people. But only women have a privilege to gift a life for this many human beings. And the more are of them, the more effort and even self-sacrifice is required to provide all the kids with necessary attention, care, and education. How come you think the process is easy or entertaining? What possible alternative doing you'd propose?

Something can be selfish and still be work... ok, that sounded like it did not make sense... but it can in some situations.

Seriously though, looking through those threads I couldn't help feeling as if they were 'addicted' to having children. Speaking about "I'm up to number x", or statements of a similar sort.

Now, I don't necessarily have anything against that attitude... but it is just not the kind of attitude I hold myself. I'd much rather have few children and invest (and I don't mean, economically, I mean just generally) in their upbringing as much as possible. I just don't see the point of having child after child after child. Maybe it just feels that way, because all I'm seeing is a information-sparse internet discussion... which likely has little bearing on parenting 'tactics'.

Eh... maybe it is just difficult for me to relate, since I'm an only child myself. :tiphat:

Seriously, I canot consider a family with 4 kids to be anything more than "moderate size".

I think... statistics in developed nations would disagree (where the average is somewhere around 2-3 children).

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here is just one very small recent example of the consequences of too much human kind.

Fair point, but in that particular issue it is more about some morons killing the thing because there is a market for its horn's supposed (read: rubbish) medicinal properties (though of course there are also issues with habitat destruction, etc).

The same thing happens here in SA, and it is really... really annoying. We really need to take a tougher stance with people who poach these incredible organisms.

FADEC

Reaction score
The scariest thing is the social disparity and unequal distribution of resources in many areas of the world.

APDAF

Reaction score
A friend from Russia is one of six when the average is one, sometimes he gets yelled at for have 'lazy' parents who just want benefits.

When they are in upper middle class.

RichWall

Sage Brush
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Interesting site.

2,934,049,358th

before 3 billion, I'm surprised.

E

ex-orbinaut

Fair point, but in that particular issue it is more about some morons killing the thing because there is a market for its horn's supposed (read: rubbish) medicinal properties (though of course there are also issues with habitat destruction, etc).

The same thing happens here in SA, and it is really... really annoying. We really need to take a tougher stance with people who poach these incredible organisms.

Late answer, but last night was the first time I looked at this thread since I posted on it.

Yes, morons indeed. Somehow I think you are contradicting your own fine argument, in a sense. Why are there so many of these morons, and why is that market growing to the extent of serious disparity between (I'll put it euphemistically) the ratio of people "requiring" the product and the "stock" availability of the product? Either; there are more people around the world being converted to believing in "rhino horn cures", or the group of people with fixed and pigheaded views on this issue have been schooling through their respective social circles or parent to child teaching of the benefits of these "cures" to ever more numerous subsequent generations. The former is unlikely, as each "society" appears to have it's own pigheaded perspectives and are not willing to participate in such cultural exchanges, especially where folklore medicine is concerned.

I am not overlooking the fact that there is money involved. But even then, if it has become such a lucrative business, it is because the demand has grown, and we are back to the point in the above paragraph.

And speaking of SA, indeed the poaching market is international, but mainly where supply is concerned for the consumers that are drying up their own home resource...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2011/1104/1224307038319.html

But this is just a detail, this rhino business. Refer to what I said; one small example. It is not the macro. Just the Red Book of Endangered Species of Ecuador reads like the complete encyclopedia of all of Ecuador's wildlife. And Ecuador is one of the countries of which it's wildlife preservation authorities has best managed to suppress illegal trade and poaching. Even then, species like the Andean spectacled bear and mountain lion are just about gone.

And I have seen examples of the ignorance that has caused it; when a family I know came back to Quito from a visit to their plot on the coastal plain near Quininde, they brought with them a baby sloth as a "pet". They explained that they "had to" kill it's mother. Why? It was crawling around the trees on their plot. A month later the baby sloth was dead, too, carelessly sat upon by one of the fat daughters. It is the sheer number of these small tragedies where humankind comes into contact with fragile wildlife that is also contributing to the decimation of the ecology, because there is plainly too many of us encroaching on their environment for the area requirement of our own expansion. And these are real tragedies more far reaching (and should be more moving) than those of two love sick humans committing mutual suicide because they are denied a "right" to procreate.

However, opinions are the result of our learning, and as all teachers know, the process of applied learning is a change of conduct brought about experience, be that simulated "schooled" experience or gathered, personal experience, after which, we are conditioned to see evidence of our opinions, rather than counters to them. I grew up with two firm opinions from an early age in the late 1970's, possibly the only two that have not changed over the years, be them right or wrong (as the definitions of those man-conceived concepts go); that the world's problems of the future would have their roots in overpopulation and as a corollary, deforestation. Yes, these are mine, and I really don't care if you pull them to pieces or not.

Orbiter-Forum is gonna need more mods...

Yes, why not. Some more enforced denial to allow everyone to continue their existences with a sense of false security - like watching a snowstorm outside through the window from inside a cozy room with a fire burning in the fireplace - will certainly help now. Any counter arguments to that are about as thin and transparent as the liquid that covers the exposed part of an eyeball, assuming the eye to be open at all, that is.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Keith, while I agree with some of your sentiments, I think you hate humans, and you hate them far too much.

Seriously, why is your version of a "real tragedy" supposed to be "more moving" than two humans killing eachother? Why? How can you ever say that? Those people, they are living things, organisms too.

So why are they less valuable? Why is their death, and their reason for death, a matter of mocking humor whereas you treat the death of another organism as tragic?

I am sorry, you may have your opinions, but they are wrong. Our problem is not that people "believe they have the 'right' to procreate", or that trees get cut down, or even that our population is growing (yet). It is because we have not yet learnt to integrate our infrastructure to the ecology, and integrate the ecology to our infrastructure in a meaningful way.

Deforestation does not occur because there are "too many humans". It occurs because in certain environments there are certain situations that lead to deforestation (such in Madagascar, where soil is poor, forcing farmers to move their crop fields and thus destroy natural environments in the process).

The views of someone who hates humans, are no different to someone who believes we should pave over and destroy nature without any regard whatsoever. It is the same thing: we are a seperate entity from the ecology. Either we are overlords, or demons.

Unfortunately those that actually do regard humanity as part of the ecology, seem to stereotypically be those who wish for the world to be forcefully invaded by birkenstocks and tie-dye.

But, I have no idea who would kill a sloth just for crawling around the trees on their property. I just don't understand that. That is surely the last animal you would not want to have on your property, it isn't like they're any kind of threat or nuisance.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes, why not. Some more enforced denial to allow everyone to continue their existences with a sense of false security - like watching a snowstorm outside through the window from inside a cozy room with a fire burning in the fireplace - will certainly help now. Any counter arguments to that are about as thin and transparent as the liquid that covers the exposed part of an eyeball, assuming the eye to be open at all, that is.

Orbiter-Forum is gonna need more people with sense of humor...

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
"Late answer, but last night was the first time I looked at this thread since I posted on it.
Yes, morons indeed."

A little crude don't you think; I find the average intelligence level on this forum to be quitte above the "Moron" level.
Maybe you were merely implying yourself since you feel the need to generalize a entire community as beeing below your intelligence level ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think he addressed people who kill a Rhino for some piece of horn... China is not even the worst customer there, the really ugly customers for illegally hunted rhinoceros are in Jemen, where daggers with a grip made of rhino horn is a tradition from a time, when hunting rhinos had been more dangerous for the hunter than for the prey.

E

ex-orbinaut

A little crude don't you think; I find the average intelligence level on this forum to be quitte above the "Moron" level.
Maybe you were merely implying yourself since you feel the need to generalize a entire community as beeing below your intelligence level ?

Sir, I will respectfully address this one first to accommodate to your impatience when it comes to reading. I was addressing another member's reference to poachers.

Keith, while I agree with some of your sentiments, I think you hate humans, and you hate them far too much.

Seriously, why is your version of a "real tragedy" supposed to be "more moving" than two humans killing eachother? Why? How can you ever say that? Those people, they are living things, organisms too.

So why are they less valuable? Why is their death, and their reason for death, a matter of mocking humor whereas you treat the death of another organism as tragic?

Yes, I will confront that issue. My grudge is not with the “value” of life. I value it far more than many people I do know. It is with vanity that seems to be all too pervasive with our psyche. I was referring to a work of fiction written by a playwright which is presented to us with the grand header of a “Tragedy”. I believe it is one of the epics, among other lessers, some of which are pretty cotidian and shabby parodies of it, that has been the inspiration for promoting the vanity that leads some weak minded people to terminate their own existences in the name of that chemically unbalanced, obsessive state of the brain they miss name as “love”. As far as I am concerned, if that's what it has lead them to, then they are where they belong. It is, after all, by their own hand, with the object of vainly attempting to “teach someone a lesson” by their demise. Showing some backbone would have got them over it, and possibly turned them into positively constructive individuals who could have used some of the newly acquired introspection of the lesson learned and applied it proactively to some more useful end. Apologies, maybe, but I am unfortunately with Nietzsche and his references to the “superfluous” on this one. I am not into sugaring the pill.

However, you do misinterpret me. I have the highest respect and regard for people of all ages who can use their minds to further the quest for knowledge and solutions. The seven years I enjoyed most were when I used to teach, as there is nothing I admire more than seeing the light of realization in someone's face when they take on a subject they were initially unsure of and succeed in beginning to comprehend it.

What irks me with (some) people is indiscriminate reproduction. Here where I am, I see far too much of it. I don't mean for any of the reasons proposed already in this thread, such as where lower income, possibly agricultural working families attempt to guarantee their futures by having a larger stock of offspring. I mean the rising trend of single mother's between the ages of 14 and 17, and not necessarily of “poor” families. In fact, here in Ecuador at least, these are “children” that have at their disposal all the means and the education to prevent these unwanted pregnancies, if they really must dabble. And what happens? A year later they are having another one. Just with the one example of the relatives of the family in the house next door, four girls in this age group and situation have produced six children in the space of three years. One of them is only just reaching the age where she might possibly be considering (note; “considering”) the possibility of having her first. Indeed, there are factors in this; conditioning circumstances I might say, which have permitted this to happen, but at this point they are irrelevant.

And I am not targeting only girls with this criticism. It takes two to tango. For another example, there is one fellow I know, now in his early forties, who comes from the Chota valley (where most of Ecuador's football selection for the World Cup comes from). He has procreated 27 offspring in eight different women. This sort of behaviour is actually commonplace in that community, and a recent exhortation by the Republic's President to “plan families with some thought and help to avoid overpopulation” was meet with great derision by them in particular.

I am sorry, you may have your opinions, but they are wrong.

No, they are not “wrong”. They don't coincide 100% with yours, and therefore you categorize them as wrong. Coming from someone who is as erudite and perceptive as yourself, that sweeping generalization appears to emanate from some pretty blinkered perspective. But all that aside, everyone's opinions are going to have flaws in the eyes of others, as our perspectives are as diverse as the places we live. Let's draw an easy analogy here to cover both themes in one fell swoop. Are my opinions actively harming anything or anyone? Are those of the people whose opinion is that rhino horns cure them of diseases pharmaceutical medicines can not?

Perhaps I have seen too much. What I expose here is just the tip of the iceberg. Maybe I am severely warped in my perspectives as a result of my experiences. And, yes, though on a completely different level to the accusation of my being in error as defined on this thread, I might well be wrong.

Our problem is not that people "believe they have the 'right' to procreate", or that trees get cut down, or even that our population is growing (yet). It is because we have not yet learnt to integrate our infrastructure to the ecology, and integrate the ecology to our infrastructure in a meaningful way.

Deforestation does not occur because there are "too many humans". It occurs because in certain environments there are certain situations that lead to deforestation (such in Madagascar, where soil is poor, forcing farmers to move their crop fields and thus destroy natural environments in the process).

In some cases, yes. Then there's this...

http://www.mongabay.com/brazil.html

As far as farming goes, the loss of soil fertility is often the fault of the farmers themselves. Methods for fast turn around in climates where seasonal change is not a major factor in the sowing / harvest cycle, such as slash and burn, nutrients are not allowed to be reabsorbed into the soil before it is used again. Why is such quick turn around so necessary that the risk of turning the soil into desert be taken?

But, I have no idea who would kill a sloth just for crawling around the trees on their property. I just don't understand that. That is surely the last animal you would not want to have on your property, it isn't like they're any kind of threat or nuisance.

Your reaction to this was as mine.

All of that said, I lived for five years on your continent, in Ethiopia. A part of my family still lives in Kenya. I missed it so much when I left that in my craving to still have some form of remaining contact with it, I watched a documentary (on Betamax, to date when I saw it) that maybe you have seen, too. It was years ago, but the images are still pretty vivid; Africa Addio.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How can you call the state of love "unbalanced" or "obessive"? Would you next deride anger, or happiness?

Or how about other fundamental human functions. Would you say that sleep is unbalanced, because it is a phase in which the human individual is inactive?

What from here to Mu Arae does it have to do with 'vanity'? And how do people "get over it" with "a bit of backbone"?

I am sorry, I really do not want to make such a sweeping statement as saying that you do not truely understand the condition which can drive people to suicide, because I may very well be wrong. But it sure seems so.

Saying that people are "superfluous" is nonsensical, superioristic and hypocritical. Imagine if I were to say that you were "superfluous". How would you feel about that?

What irks me with (some) people is indiscriminate reproduction. Here where I am, I see far too much of it. I don't mean for any of the reasons proposed already in this thread, such as where lower income, possibly agricultural working families attempt to guarantee their futures by having a larger stock of offspring.

A phenomena that irks you is not necessarily the cause of a real problem.

While what you describe is certainly alarming, but there is a clear correlation betwen low human development and high birth rates. If so called "irresponsible procreation" is present in areas with low human development, it is due to these societal factors also.

No, they are not “wrong”. They don't coincide 100% with yours, and therefore you categorize them as wrong. Coming from someone who is as erudite and perceptive as yourself, that sweeping generalization appears to emanate from some pretty blinkered perspective. But all that aside, everyone's opinions are going to have flaws in the eyes of others, as our perspectives are as diverse as the places we live. Let's draw an easy analogy here to cover both themes in one fell swoop. Are my opinions actively harming anything or anyone? Are those of the people whose opinion is that rhino horns cure them of diseases pharmaceutical medicines can not?

I think the difference in opinion here is that you view certain things with disdain, things that I wish to understand the true value or harm of. I cannot say whether you have done something similar, but I can say that so far, I have come to different conclusions than you have.

Why I say you are wrong, is that you deride some people and what they do, just because you dislike it. And you turn that into a kind of scapegoat for more wide-ranging (and legitmate) concerns. You seem to have this really depressing, pessimistic attitude about humanity in general, and seem to demonise people (even if it is unintentional, it sure seems this way).

I'm not willing to imagine people as something that they are not. That, if they so choose, is their job.

Why is such quick turn around so necessary that the risk of turning the soil into desert be taken?

Presumably, it is a lack of oversight. It is very annoying.

All of that said, I lived for five years on your continent, in Ethiopia.

I may share a continent with Ethiopia, but it's further from me than Moscow is from London. :shifty:

It was years ago, but the images are still pretty vivid; Africa Addio.

From what I've read on the internet, this sounds like a pretty low-quality film, a "shocktumentary" based on sensationalism. It also sounds pretty racist and pretty patriarchalist.

The poster of the US version makes it even more clear. "Africa: Blood and Guts", where "Black is beautiful, Black is ugly, Black is brutal".

Generally when one sees nonsense like that, the correct course of action is to shake one's head and walk away.

Africa is no sensational shock-film. Here, I am an ethnic minority in a place where said ethnic minority has been ethnically favoured. And I see every day people who are unfavoured no longer because of their ethnicity but rather because they are stuck in a certain place in society that they have never been given a chance to get out of.

I have to deal directly with the sort of racism that would be treated with utter horror in Europe and America. People who simply cannot believe that their fellow citizens are indeed people. Racist attitudes that demand people act a certain way and be a certain stereotype. It is untolerable nonsense.

I would rather not have people make up my mind for me as to who I am, nor do I want to do the same.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also, how many children you have, should be your own matter. If you find quality in life by having 10 children and 100 grandchildren when you are old - fine, your decision.

All those dirty "you reproduce to fast and consume too many resources" talking only comes from people, who are too misanthropic and sarcastic to reproduce properly (except by cloning maybe) and who consume as many resources by their oh so superior life style, that could in less well developed countries feed thousands of people.

Yes, you eat only slightly more Joule per day as somebody starving already. But to produce your food and the other products of your everyday life, also consume resources.

A single German farmer produces much more products as somebody in Africa for example. But what happens to it? Most goes into feeding animals so you can eat much more meat, or making ethanol for your car. That is how advanced we are.

Also, the same single German farmer also works on farms, that are about hundred times larger than what the average African farmer can handle. But in the end - Germans are dying out if you believe the tabloids. We don't reproduce as fast as we happily could.

Why? Because we are too busy raising the GDP to reproduce. We are so deeply thinking in performance, that even going to the doctor because you are deadly ill has to be forced on us. If we don't produce, we self-realize ourselves. And children is not always what people want to do, when they have the choice.

Now: Who is the bad guy? And is there really a bad guy? Can we be blamed for being so great. And can we blame others for being different? Is somebody in Africa lazy, because he manually farms a plot, that is hundred times smaller than what a German farmer does with his tractor? How evil would we be, if we would need to earn more than the 350,000 Euro that the average German invests into raising his 1.5 children (from 0 to 25)? Somebody has to pay these bills. And we sure don't make all money by virtual means: somebody will get much poorer for us being rich enough to have children.