Humor Random Comments Thread

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Switzerland! We need your help!

Having tasted chocolate in various parts of the world, I concluded that you always needed our help. You just weren't aware of it.

Except for the Austrians. They make some pretty decent chocolate.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Having tasted chocolate in various parts of the world, I concluded that you always needed our help. You just weren't aware of it..

I consider "chocolate" and "candy bars" to be two entirely different things. The creamy coffee brown, sweetened, shelf-stable mass-produced confections in wrappers with various gooey additions aren't chocolate. I think we're seeing a candy bar shortage. Not a tragedy IMO.

There might be some chocolate buried in the candy section of the store; Hershey (meh, candy bar without the gooey additions), Ritter-Sport and Toblerone usually, but if you're serious about your chocolate you go to the baking goods aisle or to a specialty foods shop. American Scharffen Berger chocolate is actually killer eating and baking chocolate - if you're a coffee and wine snob this is the chocolate for you.

There are a lot of Lindt stores around, but I don't think it represents the best of Swiss chocolate by a long shot. I suspect that (as usual) we're getting a grossly oversweetened Americanized product.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I didn't know the Folland Gnat was the real aircraft used in the Hot Shots movies until recently. I really thought they were some sort of papier mache airplane for the sets. Even the few landing scenes where the real aircraft were used I was like "Hmm...that was pretty realistic, great effects."

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hershey always takes a beating from the chocolate snobs. I get it, it's mass-produced, and it's made in the USA, so it must be the Budweiser of chocolate (Budweiser being an example of actual mass-produced American garbage product).

But I disagree to some degree. If you like milk chocolate, Hershey's is fine. If you like dark chocolate, then you have a point and there is much better to be had out there.

Also, Hershey Park made a lot of kids happy in Pennsylvania for a long time, and that's gotta count for something. Even the streetlights in Hershey, PA, looked like big Kisses.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
No hate to Hershey's; it's a good product, just hardly unique.

There's chocolate, and then there's chocolate.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

My wife spent a night in a hotel in Hershey PA - instead of a mint they leave a whole Hershey's bar on your pillow. Pretty classy.

Wife wants to go back to Hershey's, then go to the Peeps factory in Bethlehem PA and eat a fresh warm Peep right off the conveyor belt. It's just fancy marshmallow, I don't get the infatuation. I sure as hell won't drive to PA for a Peep.

I'd drive to PA for some Habbersett scrapple, but that is another matter entirely.

If I ever get diabetes, maybe then I'll just make the rounds to all these places in PA, just so I can get it over with quickly.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Wife wants to go back to Hershey's, then go to the Peeps factory in Bethlehem PA and eat a fresh warm Peep right off the conveyor belt. It's just fancy marshmallow, I don't get the infatuation. I sure as hell won't drive to PA for a Peep.

For me it's even worse than not getting the infatuation: I have a huge weakness for cute things and can't eat one without feeling as guilty as if I'd bitten the head off of a flesh-and-blood chick.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
For me it's even worse than not getting the infatuation: I have a huge weakness for cute things and can't eat one without feeling as guilty as if I'd bitten the head off of a flesh-and-blood chick.

I'm similarly conflicted about Meat Babies (meat loaf swaddled in bacon)

442af0d7234f5590657a970e7655c5e9.jpg

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score

I was about to suggest how difficult you must find easter, but Andy44 already took the cake. All of it. I'm not even sad it's gone.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
You guys can have my share of peeps, I can't stand the things.

Cadbury Eggs OTOH, keep your mitts off. I'll cut ya! :thumbup:

Think I might introduce peeps to the chatboard.