Humor Random Comments Thread

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Many thanks, knew someone would know all! I di find it the logistics industry fascinating(sad isn't it). Once upon a time, you put your postal-order in an envelope, posted it, and....nothing till it arrived. Most of the time.
Now you can watch it en-route on your pc.
And it still doesn't arrive.:)

N.

For me it's "arrived at neighbor's house instead" since the way our houses are numbered my neighbor and I always get each other's deliveries.

Unless the parcel company is DHL, in which case it never shows up and I have to report it lost. 3 times that's happened, and I won't trust DHL ever again.

UPS has been a good company in my experience, as has FedEx.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Unless the parcel company is DHL...

DHL is former German federal mail service. No surprise that your packages are arriving late or never.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
For me it's "arrived at neighbor's house instead" since the way our houses are numbered my neighbor and I always get each other's deliveries.

Unless the parcel company is DHL, in which case it never shows up and I have to report it lost. 3 times that's happened, and I won't trust DHL ever again.

UPS has been a good company in my experience, as has FedEx.

Gets spooky, I live in 1 Parklea, a couple of streets away is 1 Parkfield. Guess where DHL left the parcel?

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Gets spooky, I live in 1 Parklea, a couple of streets away is 1 Parkfield. Guess where DHL left the parcel?

N.

That explains why I rarely have problems with DHL. I lived in streets with very unique names. Neither my parents road address nor my current road exist elsewhere on this planet.

EDIT: Correction. My current road also exists in Osnabrück, just checked. But my parents road is unique and there are not even roads around that at least sound similar.

But my parents have often had the problem, that they got bills or deliveries for things never ordered by them: There are two families in Wolfsburg whose father bears exactly the same name - and which are not related to each other. :lol:

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
The folk at 1 Parkfield were out, DHL left the parcel with the neighbours. Was only when they looked at the delivery label they realised the mistake, and brought it round to my place.
Very decent of them, I thought.

Latest update!!!!
Barking, United Kingdom

11/04/2016 13:02 Arrival Scan
11/04/2016 15:58 Departure Scan

Well its been through Barking, Essex. I really wanted to see the air-cargo route.

Well its arrived, UPS didn't ring the doorbell, left it in the porch, didn't get a signature. And left the gate open.

Just got another parcel from DPD...
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k207/Notebook_04/2016-04-13_zps37fl1iee.png

You can track the van(Driver Paul) to your door. Arrived on time, wanted a signature(checked my spelling, bit of a cheek).
What a difference from USP, I'm definitely going to buy shares in DPD. Just off to contact my Panamanian stock-broker, who has been very quiet recently

N.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Looks like the train crash in Bad Aibling with 11 deaths was assisted by the train dispatcher playing an online game with his smart phone during the minutes leading to the crash.

APDAF

Reaction score
INB4 phone games are banned in Germany /sarcasm

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
For Galactic Penguin SST:

A5K7HtQ.jpg

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Just ordered a small piece of nose tire from STS-27 Atlantis and STS-28 Columbia. Very excited to get it in part because I've also got a book signed by Mike Mullane, one of STS-27's crew.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
At the higher up political level, the US is all agro about this of course, as it was meant to tick off the Navy.

But down at the troop level, it looks like a good time was had by all. The Russian pilots got to do some Top Gun "negative ghostrider" stuff and the American sailors got a cool show, judging by the smile on that one guy's face.

Israeli fighters even fired their guns close to German ships. That is tradition, it seems.

I really wonder what would have happened if a bad-ass officer switched the standard missile system to practice mode and locked on one of the fighters. :lol:

One big issue back then was, that luckily, one of the ships was unarmed, because such a kind of "almost-attack" on a frigate would have automatically activated the defensive systems and made the ship only one press of a button away from firing a missile.

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
During the "first" Gulf War our ship was buzzed probably 100 or more times. Every pilot in the area wanted to do a flyby of the only 2 BBs remaining in operational service.

There was a German Tornado that flew by close enough I swear I could have thrown my coffee cup into the intake. Later (back in the Pacific Ocean), a Bear "F" flew close enough to see the grins on the crew faces.

Seriously though, we used to do this stuff all the time. I got a P-3 buddy that has pictures of a MIG alongside whole vert stabs were in danger of being shredded by the props. A few pictures later was the same MIG whole vert stabs were shredded by the props. So I wonder, what's the BFD? At a local (lower) level it's something that is fairly common. It only becomes an issue when a CO somewhere gets a bug up his :censored:.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
There was a German Tornado that flew by close enough I swear I could have thrown my coffee cup into the intake.

By my own experience with the Tornado jockeys: Even your grandmother could have thrown her coffee cup into the intake. Minimum altitude restrictions are only valid if you get caught.

Would have been worse if you would have used the box of sugar for throwing.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
By my own experience with the Tornado jockeys: Even your grandmother could have thrown her coffee cup into the intake. Minimum altitude restrictions are only valid if you get caught.

Just hope that you get caught by your superiors. Trees and power lines tend to be real sticklers about altitude restrictions, and react harshly if they catch you.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Looks like the train crash in Bad Aibling with 11 deaths was assisted by the train dispatcher playing an online game with his smart phone during the minutes leading to the crash.

I really hope this won't be used to deflect attention from the fact that the safety system evidently had a single point of failure: what if the operator had been distracted by something else or had, say, a heart attack or was otherwise incapacitated?

---------- Post added at 09:51 ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 ----------

Dunno if this is old news, but GOG added Falcon 3.0 and 4.0 a little while ago.

https://www.gog.com/game/falcon_collection

Was already done some months or so ago: perfect opportunity to get BMS going (which is still technically a mod of the original F4.0 sim)!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I really hope this won't be used to deflect attention from the fact that the safety system evidently had a single point of failure: what if the operator had been distracted by something else or had, say, a heart attack or was otherwise incapacitated?

Then he would never have cleared the train for entering the single track despite a red light by the automatic system.

In this case, it worked against the system because he did not pay attention to the situation when making his decisions.