Humor Random Comments Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A worker in the German nuclear power plant Grohnde died today after getting a blast of steam from an auxiliary boiler in the non-nuclear part of it. :(

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
That's one of my biggest fears. These guys don't take the secondary side seriously enough. Always deferring maintenance and hardly ever giving me the time, money and parts to do things that are needed during an outage.

If it doesn't have zoomies associated with it, it seems management isn't concerned about it.

Have you got a link? My immediate supervisor might be able to use it.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I thought "Zoomy" was a derogatory term for USAF personnel...

Reminds me of avionics techs calling themselves "tron chasers".

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
I thought "Zoomy" was a derogatory term for USAF personnel...

Reminds me of avionics techs calling themselves "tron chasers".

Apparently, it is a word with multiple meanings. I've used both meanings (AFAIK) many times.

I've been called a tron chaser before too - mostly by machinist's mates and electrician mates - and always in a derogatory fashion. I've always worn it as a badge of honor.:cheers:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
One the East coast I was called a tron or tron chaser, the West coast called us tweets. I generally answered to "AT2".

To a Navy guy, Air Force and Derogatory are interchangable ;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Have you got a link? My immediate supervisor might be able to use it.

There is no English version of the news yet, but here is a short German news article about the accident. The cause is still investigated. The worker died right on site, he got terribly burned by the steam.

http://www.news38.de/welt/article208134663/Toedlicher-Unfall-im-AKW-Grohnde.html

Grohnde is the most productive nuclear power plant in Germany, right at the river Weser, setting a few worldwide records in net energy production in the past, but it already starts showing its age, this April it had to be shut down longer for a few weeks before schedule because all four LPCI pumps were discovered damaged during the spring inspection. It is a mixed form of 1970s PWR technology with 1980s safety equipment, of the second last PWR generation build in Germany (called pre-convoy here), entering service in 1984, shortly before Chernobyl. It can produce 1360 MW electricity with a single reactor after a turbine modification in 1996.

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
What does the rest of the Navy think of Naval Aviation types?

Being a former Navy guy (ET2(SS)), here's my answer. Aviators kick ass and I prefer them as pilots when flying commercial. Nothing against ATs, as my youngest brother served under that capacity. I've always considered the rest to be flight deck fodder.:cheers: :tiphat:

steph

Reaction score
Went go-karting with a few friends and dutifully spun out a couple of times. While not exacty unfamliar with go-karting, these were supposedly higher-powered (270 cc I think). It was capable of going quite fast in straight lines, but I had the habit of hitting the brakes real hard at turns, which caused the wheels to lock. On the opposite, taking the turns at high speed caused it to shudder.
Would be interesting to see how many lateral Gs one can pull in these things. Actually, my main fear was that it would roll over due to the lateral forces, but my fears were probably unfounded.

---------- Post added 08-28-16 at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-27-16 at 04:01 PM ----------

Speedy recovery for your arm, and remember: dogs have masters, cats have servants.

For absolutely no reason, here's a sped-up recording of a bike ride I took yesterday:
2016-08-24 12x Hyperlapse - YouTube

Speedy recovery as well. What did you use for the hyperlapse? I'm currently eyeing some camera-enabled cycling glasses for my rides. I'd use something handlebar-mounted , or even the smartphone on a handlebar mount, but I don't know how bad the vibrations will show.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I used Microsoft Hyperlapse, as can be seen from the giant watermark which is there in the free version.

There are also mobile apps available, but as far as I know they are limited in video length and resolution due to the resources that would be necessary.

One of my next rides I'll probably try to mount the camera on the frame, since the handle moved quite a bit side-to-side in one of the slow (very) uphill portions. :)

steph

Reaction score
I used Microsoft Hyperlapse, as can be seen from the giant watermark which is there in the free version.

There are also mobile apps available, but as far as I know they are limited in video length and resolution due to the resources that would be necessary.

One of my next rides I'll probably try to mount the camera on the frame, since the handle moved quite a bit side-to-side in one of the slow (very) uphill portions. :)

So handlebar-mounted it is.. Quite little overall vibration. Even that left-right movement isn't really noticeable

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Taken from Reddit
8FNGSZA.jpg

With corrections and made printable:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByaQvrm7p2CmUm9SVnFiU1NjNzg/view

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Imagine taking off from an alien moon on your rocket chair heading back to orbit, enjoying the view...
And then things go wrong.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The largest known quasar is estimated to consume matter equivalent to 600 Earths per minute.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The largest known quasar is estimated to consume matter equivalent to 600 Earths per minute.

What would be the thrust if we block one jet of it?