Humor Random Comments Thread

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
blerg... exams done. The last one consisted of a part where we had to implement a UML in Java... in handwriting! :beathead:

This school is not very practical in general, but this is the peak of utter reality-disconnected stupidity so far.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
blerg... exams done. The last one consisted of a part where we had to implement a UML in Java... in handwriting! :beathead:

In his college years, my Dad had to handwrite everything in Fortran, walk five miles, in the snow, uphill both ways, to the computer lab, type the program into a card punch, submit it to the computer operator, and wait half an hour for results, only to get back "Syntax error in line 5". :p

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Don't forget professors who would toss your punch cards into the air.
Because if the student didn't thought to number them, then it's an automatic fail.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Luxury, sheer luxury.

N.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In his college years, my Dad had to handwrite everything in Fortran, walk five miles, in the snow, uphill both ways, to the computer lab, type the program into a card punch, submit it to the computer operator, and wait half an hour for results, only to get back "Syntax error in line 5". :p

I know perfectly well that there was a time when hand-writing code made sense, but I thought I was attending a school about software development in a production environment, not comparative history! :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

This school is not very practical in general, but this is the peak of utter reality-disconnected stupidity so far.

Had to do the same in the latest Java course. :lol:

Got some complaints for using UML 2.0 and Java 8 syntax, because the reference solution was done in UML 1.4 and Java 5....

Seriously though: Be lucky if you learn such mental skills like staying sane despite all insanity around you. My coworker already shows weakness there, after explaining him what tools we are allowed to use and which processes we need to follow because of that, because our auto-mobile building customer is pretty much one huge big legacy system. Who cares about security or productivity....

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Seriously though: Be lucky if you learn such mental skills like staying sane despite all insanity around you.

I'm not picking up on that skill fast enough, it seems...

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
My advice for programmers:
Find a documentation stack that suits your style. I like wireframes, actor stories and data dictionaries. I also draw the odd flow chart for a tricky operation.
Be stubborn at following the process. People will be annoyed at the time/cost it takes to do things properly, but it will save time/money in the future.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
An improvised explosive device partially exploded (only one of several charges went off) at a charity 5K race earlier today, luckily causing no injuries.

Sadly, another explosive device has injured at least 29 in Manhattan.

It seems the NJ bomb was put in a trash can and the NY bomb in a small dumpster. And there may have also been secondary unexploded devices in Manhattan.

There are no life-threatening injuries reported, but it certainly looks like a matter of fortunate timing that no one was killed (video):
https://twitter.com/NYCityAlerts/status/777346707222822914/video/1

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
In hope all survive their injuries and the criminals behind this are arrested and punished. :(

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu

So it seems that having to "program" in hadwriting is more widespread as it seems: luckily I didn't have to do it, but I heard the same from some friends some years ago.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Note: The following is very old news in general. But new to me.

I frequently use the Tapatalk app to view these forums (I don't do anything else with it).
Years ago, I bought the Pro version.
Then some time later, that version became the Free version and there was a NEW paid version that I could buy if I wanted to get rid of all the new ads (placed as if forum threads) that they put into my formerly-paid app.
Now I see their even newer paid (i.e. not a cluster**** of ads) app is a SUBSCRIPTION model. Just wow.

Aside: I noticed this because I had been sticking with an old version of the app for as long as possible but my new phone of course could only grab the latest APK, and now I can see that they now have ads on every screen.

I don't have a problem with companies using ads to support development. But retracting the no-ads agreement AFTER taking the user's money is just not okay... much less doing it repeatedly! Just stop developing for the ad-free version. Simple.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
My car is locked inside the company garage. That is what you get for working until late in the evening for making sure the deadline of customer is met... Sadly nobody can come around to open the gates for me today, so I am without car for a night. :(

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I would check the mileage when you get it back.

N.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
My car is locked inside the company garage. That is what you get for working until late in the evening for making sure the deadline of customer is met... Sadly nobody can come around to open the gates for me today, so I am without car for a night. :(

I hope you at least get some serious overtime pay for this.

Me and a friend once got our cars locked in a restaurants parking lot at night, but luckily crossing a couple dozen meters of grass was enough to reach the road, as depicted in this very precise diagram:
OkWZNNb.png

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I hope you at least get some serious overtime pay for this.

Me and a friend once got our cars locked in a restaurants parking lot at night, but luckily crossing a couple dozen meters of grass was enough to reach the road, as depicted in this very precise diagram:
OkWZNNb.png

No overtime pay (yet), just a huge plus on my time account. But the huge number of weekends and overtimes sure mean some compensation should get negotiated now... usually we work exactly 5 x 8 hours and try to avoid overtime, since this is a symptom of poor project management...

Luckily, I managed to return home with my own car, when we finished work, the night-watchman just patrolled the area and was able to open the gate for me.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score

I would check the mileage when you get it back.

N.

Long as these guys aren't the garage attendants:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Resolved an issue of our setup with the oracle Java 8 JVM, so we can finally move up from open-JDK. Everything runs about 25 times faster now. I feel good! :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Resolved an issue of our setup with the oracle Java 8 JVM, so we can finally move up from open-JDK. Everything runs about 25 times faster now. I feel good! :)

Good luck. :lol: Just stay away from IBM J9, as much as I like its performance and can't really blame it for sticking to the Java VM specification to the letter... it is annoying that (slightly sloppy) code that works on the Oracle VM is not tolerated by it and its configuration can be pretty troublesome.

Especially if you need to harden something for TLS 1.2 according to the current standards and find out that the older J9 version did not support the cyphers that you need now, and the newer J9 version won't be installed for the next two years, unless you spent another one of your "escalation points" to make the upper management aware of the issue...

EDIT: And yes, Mayan Revival style. It really exists. The world is fascinating.