Humor Random Comments Thread

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
About Ghost in the Shell: saw it tonight with my brother.

Liked it. Not loved, but liked.

They did change the plot around quite a bit, but it was still enjoyable. I particularly liked the cyberpunk future with the Blade Runneresque cityscape. I know its not exactly new anymore (and real life is getting closer and closer) but it's still cool to see.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Absolutely one of the worst adaptations ever.

Still if you forget the book exists, it is a good movie about propaganda. :lol:

"Would you like to know more?" is my personal slogan of the modern social-media filter bubble. Just some corporate algorithm recommending me to become what it thinks is best for me.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Fantastic book, the movie is almost completely unwatchable.

I actually like the movie. It just should never have been connected to the novel, seeing as they have practically nothing to do with each other (it's somewhat telling if one of the main characters in the movie is a different gender than in the book, and also did not survive the first chapter of the book :lol:)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Still if you forget the book exists, it is a good movie about propaganda. :lol:

"Would you like to know more?" is my personal slogan of the modern social-media filter bubble. Just some corporate algorithm recommending me to become what it thinks is best for me.

True, that aspect of the movie has become eerily ever more relevant as time goes on.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Didn't see any CMake support with VS 2017 Community and the VC++ module installed. Didn't look for it either, though, might have missed it.

EDIT: whoa, didn't see that full page of messages after this one

Seems to be there, I see it in the installation options, enabled by default. Just installing 2017 community here, maybe I can make a small example project for Orbiter to explain how to use Visual Studio 2017 community and CMake for Orbiter add-ons.

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

First simple test: CMake works, but the version included in Visual Studio is a 3.6 and not a 3.7 as I used as minimum for defining the project. After downgrading the minium to 3.6, it works.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The normal world:

Customer: "Hello, I need a hammer, pincers and a box of nails!"
Shopkeep: "Sure thing, here you go, have a nice day."

The software world:

Customer: "Hello, I need a hammer!"
Me: "Sure thing, here you go."
Customer: ... *keeps looking at me expectantly*
Me: "...would there be anything else?"
Customer: "You haven't given me the nails!"
Me: "Sorry, you didn't mention that you needed any nails. Let me just fetch those..."
Customer: "Well, I can't very well use a hammer without nails, so it really goes without saying that I need them."
Me: "Well, I just assumed you already had nails. Here you go!"
Customer *leaves chuckling "ha, yeah right, already had nails, like, who would just have nails lying around. Bloody bugger even put them on the bill separately..."

A few hours later, the phone rings.
Customer: "The Hammer you sold me is broken! It doesn't have pincers!"
Me: " ... "

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The normal world:

Customer: "Hello, I need a hammer, pincers and a box of nails!"
Shopkeep: "Sure thing, here you go, have a nice day."

The software world:

Me: "Sure thing, here you go."
Customer: ... *keeps looking at me expectantly*
Me: "...would there be anything else?"
Customer: "You haven't given me the nails!"
Me: "Sorry, you didn't mention that you needed any nails. Let me just fetch those..."
Customer: "Well, I can't very well use a hammer without nails, so it really goes without saying that I need them."
Me: "Well, I just assumed you already had nails. Here you go!"
Customer *leaves chuckling "ha, yeah right, already had nails, like, who would just have nails lying around. Bloody bugger even put them on the bill separately..."

A few hours later, the phone rings.
Customer: "The Hammer you sold me is broken! It doesn't have pincers!"
Me: " ... "

Well, almost my reality. I would just apply the following patch there:

Me: "Sure thing, here you go. Do you have nails available? I can also recommend you to buy a pincer, we have it as special offer in our store right now."
Customer: "I should already have nails, thank you. And I'll look for a free alternative for a pincer."
Me: "OK, your choice."

A few hours later:

*phone* "You didn't tell me that this hammer requires nails and not screws."
"I thought you have nails. Do you want to order some?"
"I want them for free, that is a defect."
"Well, I'll have to talk with my manager about that defect. We'll call you back."

A few hours later:

"Your boss and my manager just agreed to make a follow-up contract for the nails, he understands that this can't be a defect if you did not order it. Do you still want no pincer?"
"No, I am looking for a free alternative."

A few days later:

"All my nails are broken - you must fix this, that is warranty."
"Its not. You just need a pincer."
"I don't need that expensive tool. My other supplier tried using a one cent coin, but your nails are faulty, he can't get them out."
"A coin is the wrong tool for the task, didn't he tell you? A pincer is all you need."
"A coin would be perfectly fine if you would have sold me coin compatible nails."
"You did not specify this and there are no coin compatible nails available. We would need to customize them for you."
"Forget it. Fix the nails ASAP! If you are unable to make coin compatible nails, I'll cancel the whole contract and let your competitors have it."
"Good luck, do you have their contact data or should we recommend our favorite rivals to you?"
*hangs up*

A few weeks later, pincers are enterprise standard.
A few years later, the customer will be forced to use pincers because the safety exception for using coins expired.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The number of inhabitants of the Faroe islands has (most likely) passed 50k for the first time ever. The preliminary count was 50,030 by April 1 and will probably not be revised below 50k.

The preliminary March 1 count was 50,006 but has already been revised to 49,994. The number will probably dip below 50k when the usual batch of students start their education abroad this summer.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
In the random news, here is the terminator as seen by the Meteor M2 satellite just now.
X2ioksp.jpg

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It just occured to me that "sesquipedalian" is a bloody sesquipedalian word to use...

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Got to climb around one of the reactor coolant pumps today. Installing temperature elements and vibration probes. Kind of a crappy job (dirty and messy) but the dose rate wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. 4 millirem in 2 hours, but I'll have to go back in if the scaffold guys can build me a place to stand to replace some other hardware.

Still in mode 5, but there are no restrictions from our shop in the way of mode 4.

Mode 4 to 3? Different story :)