Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
the dose rate wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.
Hm, why would there be any extra radiation at the coolant pump?
I would expect the coolant to be isolated from the radioactive material.
Or is it something to do with neutron activation or with proximity to the core?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hm, why would there be any extra radiation at the coolant pump?
I would expect the coolant to be isolated from the radioactive material.
Or is it something to do with neutron activation or with proximity to the core?

Actually, the primary coolant absorbs radioactive products, especially gases. You can't seal them off perfectly without ruining the primary purpose of the reactor - producing power by fission.

That is why there are two coolant loops at least, one primary with radioactive contaminations and another, really isolated secondary loop, that does not get in contact with radioactive elements.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
The reactor coolant pumps do have a thermal barrier (water) that helps isolate the "clean" from the dirty (we call it 'crapped up') side. But like mentioned, it's still not perfect.

I picked up another 5 millirem. I'm going to have to remind these people that I'm a turbine guy...

Did anyone watch the short lived Terminator TV show? Summer Glau was a terminator sent to hang out with a young John Conner... Anyway, there was an epiosode that took place at a nuke plant. One of the managers told Sarah Conner something like "It looks like you got crapped up". So it's not just here that uses it.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You know, that you should spend more time sleeping and less time studying Operations Research, when you start comparing the Viable System Model of Stafford Beer to the descriptions of the planned economy used by the Clans in BattleTech and realize that again the number five is dominant...

There are five inhabited star systems in the Pentagon cluster, which had been the first five world colonized after the first Exodus of the Star League Defense Force, there are five castes in the Clans, a star has five points, a Bloodname initially had 25 (5²) Bloodrights.... and the VSM defines five systems and applies well to a need-oriented economy with strong focus on survival and limited resources like described in the novels. And its as recursive as described...

(But I doubt any author in the Battletech franchise did even know that VSM existed)

Last edited:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And a cluster consists of 5 stars, and a galaxy 5 clusters.

Also, a point of elementals consists of 5 soldiers in powered armor...

I really miss playing BattleTech sometimes. Used to be a blast at game conventions back in the 90s. Still have my stuff in a closet.

Also wondering why nobody has ever made a good B-tech movie. Some of the novels were really good, especially the Aidan Pryde trilogy and follow-ons. Horse and Joanna were my favorite characters in that universe.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If there's one major criticism I have for Netflix, then it's that they're doing an awful job at letting you know about newly available stuff.
I was randomly browsing through the list today, and saw... :censored: Cowboy Bebop! How long has it been sitting there without me noticing? This is AWESOME!

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
They hit mode 4 last night and should hit mode 3 tonight. Blowing steam out of the roof of the valve vault room. The "to-do" list is finally something managable.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
If there's one major criticism I have for Netflix, then it's that they're doing an awful job at letting you know about newly available stuff.
I was randomly browsing through the list today, and saw... :censored: Cowboy Bebop! How long has it been sitting there without me noticing? This is AWESOME!

I recently binge-watched the entire series at the suggestion of a friend. Good show that.

The same friend also told me to watch Ghost in the Shell, which I did just prior to the recent live-action version. I can see why people liked it so much.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Netflix emails me from time to time with new stuff and recommendations. Also on my mobile phone, the app sends notifications when new stuff is available.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah great. I would just like to see it on the website. No emails or apps for me, thank you very much.

Ravenous

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Found the solution to the Fermi Paradox: Zombies.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1403.8146
"Now that your trousers are presumably the appropriate shade of brown, we must determine how the SNAP planets may be detected remotely and thus avoid them like ... well, the plague."

What a bizarre paper - not sure if it's funny or just dumb. Just shows you can't believe everything you read on the Arxiv.

Think I'll have to google the authors and see if they ever wrote anything else...

(By the way I did check the date. 29 April so a little late for April Fools?)

Last edited:

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
"Now that your trousers are presumably the appropriate shade of brown, we must determine how the SNAP planets may be detected remotely and thus avoid them like ... well, the plague."

What a bizarre paper - not sure if it's funny or just dumb. Just shows you can't believe everything you read on the Arxiv.

Think I'll have to google the authors and see if they ever wrote anything else...

(By the way I did check the date. 29 April so a little late for April Fools?)

I believe it was an in-joke at NASA. A few years ago when zombie movies and TV shows were all the rage a few US government agencies jumped on the bandwagon. I believe the Center for Disease Control used a zombie virus outbreak as an example of how they would handle a real virus, and someone at the Pentagon published a joke PowerPoint slide show regarding a zombie outbreak as a threat to national security.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Bailed out of work early yesterday. The kiddo and I went to see Post Modern Jukebox. Great show, lots of fun. We both highly recommend it.

steph

Reaction score
Headcrabs anyone ? (Half-Life). Found them during a visit to an Aquarium. Forgot the name of the species though.

IMG_20170430_173612101_1.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Headcrabs anyone ? (Half-Life). Found them during a visit to an Aquarium. Forgot the name of the species though.

Should be stingray eggs.