Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
...how would we drive without it? :)

You can also use alternative hand signals - French and Italian drivers can be pretty verbose without saying a word. :lol:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ouch, not permanent I hope.

Certainly not! Only idiots and Ammon Ammarth spar with sharp weapons! :lol:

As long as it's not your middle finger.

Index finger, "thankfuly". Even better, on the left hand... that blow came in really weird.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Does somebody Russian know about the "ЭT-10M" arcade game? Like, who build it and where did they go?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Like, who build it and where did they go?
You mean, soviet arcade cabinets?
People built them, then they went to garbage dumps and a few ended up in museums.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You mean, soviet arcade cabinets?
People built them, then they went to garbage dumps and a few ended up in museums.

So - little is known about them, while the US/Japanese arcades are pretty much well known? Heck, even the single GDR arcade cabinet is still known.

Polyplay.jpg

steph

Reaction score
There were loads of stuff like this on the market back in the '90s. Most were pretty patched up by the time they got there, tho. As long as nothing serious went, maintaning them was pretty much a constant dyi job.

As an aside, dad worked in computer design back in the '80s, pretty much trying to come up with a copy of the Z80 They hated soviet components. They had unacceptable latencies. There was an old running joke that the soviet stuff only worked because all the components were similarly dephazed :)))). Chinese or western parts were to be desired. There was supposedly an embargo, but western circuits were brought in by official personnel, who could supposedly skip the security checks

Last edited:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Watching Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams Ep. 3 right now on Amazon Prime. I always wonder why in futuristic dystopian settings people seem to live in such cool places while here in the real world we just have to settle for the usual house or apartment. I mean, I guess not having to worry about Earth's breathable air depleting in the next 4 months is a fair trade for not having such a cool high tech crib, but still...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm finally watching The Expanse. Over halfway through Season 1 right now.

I finished reading the first three books on which the series is coarsely based... need new supply after the exams. :lol:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Coarsely based? Urwumpe, the show is one of the most accurate novel to TV adaptions I've seen yet.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Coarsely based? Urwumpe, the show is one of the most accurate novel to TV adaptions I've seen yet.

Not sure - by just reading the episode list, it seems like they are not strictly following the characters or sequence of events as in the books, for example having characters from the second book already in the first season, that just covers half of the first book.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Okay, true. But they've done a better than average job of adapting the source material to the show.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Okay, true. But they've done a better than average job of adapting the source material to the show.

Thats possible - I still have not seen the show because it makes no sense to get a Netflix here. I will move to a new state in about 6 to 18 months (depending on business situation here), then I can think about changing this.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thats possible - I still have not seen the show because it makes no sense to get a Netflix here. I will move to a new state in about 6 to 18 months (depending on business situation here), then I can think about changing this.
The reason I haven't watched it until last week was because I was waiting for the second season to be available with an Amazon Prime account but I decided to just buy it anyway to support the show.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Just finishing season one, and am reading Leviathan Wakes.

Can't believe I'm just catching on to the show.

Have gotten a paper model of the Rocinante that looks really good (and free), it's available at paper modelers dot com

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Have gotten a paper model of the Rocinante that looks really good (and free), it's available at paper modelers dot com

Thank you, I am looking for it. I really like paper modelling. :cheers:

For BT Convention, we made ~30 cm large paper scale Mechs and played in a gym, was a big fun... the Mech I made (a Cauldron Born) appeared a bit too flimsy at first, so I decided early to reinforce it internally with some cardboard stringers... turned out I was too conservative there. While others barely survived people playing with them, mine was even resistant to real "death from above" maneuvers. :rofl:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
the show is one of the most accurate novel to TV adaptions I've seen yet.

There are quite some changes, though I have to hand it to them that most of them are for the better.

The second novel compared to the first does somewhat feel like the force awakens feels when compared to a new hope, so mashing them together into basically a single crisis where the plots overlap was a very good move.

Also, zombie apocalypse on Eros would have been terribly cliche in our day and age. Really happy they decided to flush that bit.

What I'm less happy about are the changes in characterisation. Especially the rossi crew fell victim to "TV-dramatisation", where apparently the protagonists just can't have a healthy relationship with each other. It's a bit like Fox demanding of Joss Whedon that Wash and Zoe must have a troubled marriage, a nonsense which he succesfully defended against.

In the novels, the crew is the resting pole of the narrative. An island of peace and loyalty in a world going increasingly insane. It was those parts of the book that I enjoyed the most. But in the show, of course they all have to have their own agenda, keep secrets from each other and even point guns at each others heads, because... well, because, apparently.

Also not too happy with Bobby. I don't mind the casting, finding a 2m tall pitch-black actress that is also quite wide in the shoulders doesn't sound exactly easy.
But Bobby Draper in the books is a experienced professional soldier that is very good at what she does and therefore also knows that it's better for everyone if she doesn't have to do it, while the show made her a gung-ho rooky (in attitude, not in competence) with more testosterone than her male collegues, because that's what TV thinks female soldiers behave like. I don't mind that type of characterisation in general, so this is not at all about "whining about sjw's destroying xyz", it's just not Bobby. And I was looking forward to Bobby.

So yeah, I have mixed feelings about the faithfulness of the adaptation. It sure has the plot of the expanse, but in some areas, which happen to be rather important to me, it doesn't feel like the expanse.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
In the novels, the crew is the resting pole of the narrative. An island of peace and loyalty in a world going increasingly insane. It was those parts of the book that I enjoyed the most. But in the show, of course they all have to have their own agenda, keep secrets from each other and even point guns at each others heads, because... well, because, apparently.

OK, that is really annoying, since a lot of the plot in the books also depends on the more or less open hostility between the different groups of humanity - and the crew taking a lot of freedom in that context as they are some sort of "misfits" since they all got more or less stranded on the Canterbury already by different reasons.