Humor Random Comments Thread

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There are quite some changes, though I have to hand it to them that most of them are for the better.

The second novel compared to the first does somewhat feel like the force awakens feels when compared to a new hope, so mashing them together into basically a single crisis where the plots overlap was a very good move.

Also, zombie apocalypse on Eros would have been terribly cliche in our day and age. Really happy they decided to flush that bit.

What I'm less happy about are the changes in characterisation. Especially the rossi crew fell victim to "TV-dramatisation", where apparently the protagonists just can't have a healthy relationship with each other. It's a bit like Fox demanding of Joss Whedon that Wash and Zoe must have a troubled marriage, a nonsense which he succesfully defended against.

In the novels, the crew is the resting pole of the narrative. An island of peace and loyalty in a world going increasingly insane. It was those parts of the book that I enjoyed the most. But in the show, of course they all have to have their own agenda, keep secrets from each other and even point guns at each others heads, because... well, because, apparently.

Also not too happy with Bobby. I don't mind the casting, finding a 2m tall pitch-black actress that is also quite wide in the shoulders doesn't sound exactly easy.
But Bobby Draper in the books is a experienced professional soldier that is very good at what she does and therefore also knows that it's better for everyone if she doesn't have to do it, while the show made her a gung-ho rooky (in attitude, not in competence) with more testosterone than her male collegues, because that's what TV thinks female soldiers behave like. I don't mind that type of characterisation in general, so this is not at all about "whining about sjw's destroying xyz", it's just not Bobby. And I was looking forward to Bobby.

So yeah, I have mixed feelings about the faithfulness of the adaptation. It sure has the plot of the expanse, but in some areas, which happen to be rather important to me, it doesn't feel like the expanse.

This is why I try to never read the books before the films or TV shows come out. I find that people who read the book first are never happy with the adaptation.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I find that people who read the book first are never happy with the adaptation.

I wouldn't say 'never happy', but yes, you'll never have all your expectations met. The thing that bugs me about the expanse a bit (I'm not really "unhappy" with it overall) is that the changes that really do seem out of place are just so... TV-ey, for lack of a better word. Like, even a science fiction-show for which they spent considerable effort to make it unique still lets it shine through that practically every screenwriter for TV has been writing sope opera at some point in his life.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
This is why I try to never read the books before the films or TV shows come out. I find that people who read the book first are never happy with the adaptation.

Well, Lord of the Rings was a notable exception there. Also I think the strongly diverging adaption of Starship Troopers was actually saving the reputation of the book by not taking it as serious as Heinlein did. Heinlein was no armchair scientist or armchair militarist, but an armchair politician...

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I think Starship Troopers is more a social commentary than anything else. I liked it a lot, but can see where some would complain about fascism/militarism/other isms...

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is an all time favorite (of mine). More social commentary and a bible of sort for Libertarians. Or at least an operating manual.

I'm about 1/3 through Leviathan Wakes. Good stuff.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is an all time favorite (of mine). More social commentary and a bible of sort for Libertarians. Or at least an operating manual.

Well, I pretty much dislike its idea of democracy being just a distraction. I can understand Heinlein wrote this way before Facebook and Google, but his trust into AI and algorithms is pretty disturbing. :lol:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Well, the AI did eventually get back to "normal", it just took a little warfare to do it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, the AI did eventually get back to "normal", it just took a little warfare to do it.

I just don't feel like I want to hope for such a self-aware AI... but I like his humor.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
his trust into AI and algorithms is pretty disturbing.

I think in this case this was really more of a plot device than any kind of statement. Heinlein didn't seem to understand computers very well, but the AI in this case is written as a straight character that just happens to be a computer, with none of the weird things Heinleins computers were usually afflicted with.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Harsh Mistress is one of my all time favorite books as well. As for the AI, Heinlein wrote that in an era long before the whole cyberpunk genre was conceived, and certainly before it started becoming a real-life thing that we are all living through currently. Things like social media simply weren't on his radar scope as a story writer.

Before William Gibson, AI was generally thought of in terms of simple artificial beings. HAL-9000, Robbie the Robot, C3PO, etc. Even Skynet seemed to be made up of stand-alone robots, and was thought of as some "thing" you could physically fight, or even have a conversation with, something which many of the franchise's characters do in the various sequels and TV show. You can't reason with or have a fight with Facebook's algorithms, and you can't resist the way google has changed the world, like it or not.

I saw the Starship Troopers film before I read the book, and I thought it was an awful movie. It was like the guy was trying to recapture the magic of his satirical Robocop movie and failed. Then I read the book shortly thereafter and hated the movie even more; the film was made by somebody who obviously had no respect for the deceased author and chose to use his own story to ridicule him.

Worse, the film left out the coolest thing in the book: powered armor suits.

At least The Expanse has those!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
They are planning to make a movie out of Duke Nukem ... with John Cena.............

Suddenly I feel like my age shifted right by a digit.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Well, that does sound like a perfect material for Michael Bay to make a movie out of.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
So I have discovered a new beer I like, Sam Smith from Tadcaster, England. Do any Brits actually drink this, or is it just what they pass off to Americans?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, an old Yorkshire brewer. Nice beer, not too strong or heavy, good Summer drink.

N.

steph

Reaction score
I'm still angry at them for pulling a certain assortment of chocolate cream off the shelves this summer. Actually, Nutella is good usually, but as far as I'm concerned, other no-name brands taste better. Maybe I just like junk food :lol: . I'm still disappointed that the dual-color version of chocolate cream, which is even more insanely good, is nowhere to be found in french shops.
On the other hand, there are many other chocolate-y creams which deserve attention, besides nutella. Caramel cream comes to mind

Last edited: