Humor Random Comments Thread

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I do like C++ 11, but I'm flabbergasted at the fact that the standard library still contains no built in function for double and float comparisons. I mean, it's not hard to write, but it's bloody annyoing copying it into every other project... :facepalm:

Comparing a float to a double and expecting accuracy out of it is just a recipe for frustration.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Probably I'm just too atypical a user of C++. For most of my projects, a constant epsilon is perfectly fine. Plus I don't like the semantic hazard of "equals" for the same data types having different meanings in different contexts, but I guess std::is_close_enough_to() is a horribly unprofessional function name.
Huh... I guess I start seeing why they didn't put an equals function in there... :shifty:

"bool epsilon(a, b, eps)" might be enough to carry the mathematical and technical intention. :shrug:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Probably I'm just too atypical a user of C++. For most of my projects, a constant epsilon is perfectly fine. Plus I don't like the semantic hazard of "equals" for the same data types having different meanings in different contexts, but I guess std::is_close_enough_to() is a horribly unprofessional function name.
Huh... I guess I start seeing why they didn't put an equals function in there... :shifty:

Well, I would consider a "==" operator for float, double and double double a "drunken programmer error".

Its floating point numbers, the next closest thing possible to a real number... and there are infinite real numbers between 0.1 and -0.1, when are you close enough to say x==0?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That sounds like the kind of thing that could only happen in Silicon Valley. Except that it's LA, which is a few hours south, so I guess it could also happen in a Hollywood movie...about Silicon Valley.

Or in any other place, where middle management is just a title, not a job description.

I maybe do PLM right now, but even I can't imagine any customer wanting the system to be more powerful than he is.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Spotify is so terrible at targeted advertisement, I think they're doing it on purpose to annoy you into subscribing :lol:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
More cruise news.
What ho George,

Temperature has dropped considerably here, only 18 deg C and cloudy today. Back in Hungary now, a place called Mohacs, we went for a stroll around town this morning. The ship took on stores, they really work ALL the crew. Even the Captain and the piano player were humping boxes, made me feel tired just watching them.

We have another 5 or 6 stops before we finish in Vienna, Bratislava is in 3 days, looking forward to that one.

I was surprised to find that they do not need to top up the fuel, apparently they filled up in Vienna before we joined, and that is more than enough for the whole journey.

Sorry to disappoint, didn't bring my wet suit so no water skiing.

Time for lunch, it's all go.

Toodle pip
Les
If anyone finds this tediuos, let me know and I'll stop, probably...

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well... it ain't a second Mosella, but its interesting for reading up about the Danube outside Germany. Didn't know about the Iron Gate Valley, pretty interesting landscape.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Les did get a Nobel Prize for Literature for his "Letter from Scunthorpe" series.
That's what he tells me anyway.

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I think they have a tight itinerary. No chance of a diversion to...that place.

His good lady is from Czechoslovakia(as was) and he regularly used to drive there from the UK. Exciting times in the 80's at the various borders. Sometimes took days to get through.

N.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
His good lady is from Czechoslovakia(as was) and he regularly used to drive their from the UK. Exciting times in the 80's at the various borders. Sometimes took days to get through.

You tell me. I had relatives in the GDR, just 20 km away from our home. Had to drive 20 minutes to the border crossing Marienborn, spend 2-6 hours at the border, and then drive 20 minutes away from the border over a SUV suspension test track. Had really nightmares a child about the border checkpoint, it was a really dystopian place. Still can feel it when driving past the memorial

Today its just 20 minutes and the roads on their side of the former border are still better than on ours...

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Its a while since they drove to Prague, usually coach or plane now. I'll ask what route he took.
Do remember he said there were long lines of mostly lorries at the crossings, not many cars. That would have been in the 70's. Changed a lot of course as time went on.

N.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
You tell me. I had relatives in the GDR, just 20 km away from our home. Had to drive 20 minutes to the border crossing Marienborn, spend 2-6 hours at the border, and then drive 20 minutes away from the border over a SUV suspension test track. Had really nightmares a child about the border checkpoint, it was a really dystopian place. Still can feel it when driving past the memorial

Today its just 20 minutes and the roads on their side of the former border are still better than on ours...

During the year I spent in Cottbus, I made a day trip to Berlin at one point to see the Brandenburger Tor. I was quite surprised to discover the US embassy sitting right on the east side of the gate.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I knew about Bleeping, I didn't know that it was so close to Braunau. That part of Austria can't seem to get a break.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
A friend is watching the show but hasn't read the books: it was fun seeing his reaction to the show's recent events.