Humor Random Comments Thread

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The worst thing about it is that when you get to Newark, you're not done traveling yet, since nobody willingly spends any time in Newark, NJ.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I bought a 9-cell battery for a laptop that came with a 6-cell, and discovered that while the battery is electrically compatible with the machine, and mechanically compatible with the battery slot, it is not mechanically compatible with the machine as a whole: the lid doesn't open all the way with the battery in place.

Does anybody know if there are adapters for laptop batteries that can be used to change the positioning of the battery to alleviate such issues? Can anybody provide search terms that could be used to find such a thing?

---------- Post added 06-10-18 at 02:38 ---------- Previous post was 06-09-18 at 22:05 ----------

Anachronistic diachronic linguistics is always fun.

So we have in English and German, respectively:

goose <-> geese
Gans <-> Gänse

And it is a common joke among English speakers is that this should generalize to:

moose <-> meese

I will take this a couple steps further and postulate (fictitiously) that "moose" comes from a Proto-Germanic root "*mans"

Thus, in German, instead of:

Elch <-> Elche

we have:

Mans <-> Mänse

:leaving:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The historic German names for "Elch" actually are Elend, Elentier, Elenhirsch, Elen and Elk.

Elk also seems to be the closest to the Germanic root there.

Moose comes from a native american language, which also calls the american english animal "elk" wapiti...

The first settlers of the USA must have been really bad zoologists.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I was sure it is... I just found it strange what happened in North America with the language. :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Obviously not! He's German! No sense of humor! :lol:

Thats wrong. My humor is TÜV Rheinland approved, ISO 97A662 certified and was tested by 6 professional German Humor Quality Assurance Engineers. We are dead serious about our humor here. Where would we end up if anybody could be laughing about anything?

---------- Post added at 14:29 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

I never thought I'd say this again. I am launching Anim8or. :blink:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Friend of mine and his good lady are on a Danube river trip at the mo. He's sending me
progress reports. Just wondering if anyone knows what river-lock he's on about?

We are tied up in a small one horse town in Serbia (Donji Milanovac), quite nice but not much to see. I think it's just a stopping off point to reload the ships stores, but quite a good internet connection.

Mentioned "it" but think I got away with it after all, they started it! Serbian is a strange language, a bit of a mix between Russian and Slav, mostly they use the cyrillic alphabet. Which is handy as Ruzena can understand the letters and make a stab at what the signs say.

Haven't tried your fishing idea, but some Brits seen yelling at locals in the hope they will understand, No wonder they all love us around the world. Yesterday we went through a couple of enormous locks, made Teddington look like a toy. The level change was so great that it was a double job, this was on the Rumanian Serbian border. They also had 6 hydro electric generators utilising the river flow. We leave later today for another (larger) Serbian town called Novi Sad, then we are back in Hungary for a while.

I could search, but I'm sure someone here will know!

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Likely he means the locks of the "Iron Gate I" powerplant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Gate_I_Hydroelectric_Power_Station

Judging your description of the locations, your friend is traveling from the Black Sea upstream.

Some coordinates on Google Maps:

Powerplant and locks:

https://www.google.de/maps/@44.6709538,22.530519,968m/data=!3m1!1e3

The one horse town:

https://www.google.de/maps/@44.4662376,22.1539692,1034m/data=!3m1!1e3

Novi Sad:

https://www.google.de/maps/@45.254608,19.8616522,1481m/data=!3m1!1e3

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, they started near the Black Sea and ending in Vienna. They did a Rhine trip years ago, and enjoyed that. Different scenery of course, says its stunning. And the food is good, and the wine/beer...

N.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I do like C++ 11, but I'm flabbergasted at the fact that the standard library still contains no built in function for double and float comparisons. I mean, it's not hard to write, but it's bloody annyoing copying it into every other project... :facepalm:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You mean... std::fabs(x-y) < e is bad? :rofl:

would std::less(std::fabs(x-y), e) read better?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You mean... std::fabs(x-y) < e is bad?

Not so bad, though it still forces you to define epsilon somewhere in your project, and it's still quite a mouthfull. Something like std::equals(a, b) would be a little more comfortable to write (and read). Throw a default parameter for epsilon in there for maximum flexibility. Of course it's not much to do by yourself, but I'll freely admit that I have become overly touchy about any kind of unnecessary boilerplate since I'm coding the whole day every day. Especially after being spoiled by Kotlin for the past year. :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Not so bad, though it still forces you to define epsilon somewhere in your project, and it's still quite a mouthfull. Something like std::equals(a, b) would be a little more comfortable to write (and read). Throw a default parameter for epsilon in there for maximum flexibility. Of course it's not much to do by yourself, but I'll freely admit that I have become overly touchy about any kind of unnecessary boilerplate since I'm coding the whole day every day. Especially after being spoiled by Kotlin for the past year. :lol:

You mean the same epsilon for all comparisons of floating point values, regardless of the information they carry? :blink:

OK, Kotlin isn't suitable for my kind of business...

If you really need an "equal(a, b)" why don't you used fixed point numbers then?

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
More travel news?

What-ho George,

Have arrived in Novi Sad, pleasant little town, weather is pretty hot 29 deg C. The Serbian border control are quite stringent, this is the second stop but we will only get the 3rd degree tomorrow in Mohac. Then its file past the border guards with passports open, they can then haul out any poor sod they don't like the look of for questioning.

Ruzena and I were wandering past the wheel house yesterday peering in through the glass, the captain waved us to come in. All very high tech, no big wooden steering wheel, just a load of screens monitoing all sorts of things from fuel and water levels, also various hi tech radars.

From what I can see the South has not seen any rain since we left over a week ago, don't fancy our garden plants chances.

All sorts of fish served, but so far no signs of Carp, will keep you posted.

Didn't take you for a football fan George, fortunately most people on the ship don't give a 4x either.

Toodle pip, Les.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You mean the same epsilon for all comparisons of floating point values, regardless of the information they carry?

Probably I'm just too atypical a user of C++. For most of my projects, a constant epsilon is perfectly fine. Plus I don't like the semantic hazard of "equals" for the same data types having different meanings in different contexts, but I guess std::is_close_enough_to() is a horribly unprofessional function name.
Huh... I guess I start seeing why they didn't put an equals function in there... :shifty: