News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well, suppose should mention this:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Had a nice 4.4 mag earthquake at work last night. With a 3.3 aftershock that nobody seemed to notice (but our equipment picked it up).

Both units operated normally as if nothing happened.

There's so much seismic bracing around this place I either trip of bang my hardhat against something on a daily basis.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, at least you can't complain that they're forcing you to wear a hardhat for no good reason :p

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Oh no. As a tall dude I've rang my bell several times. Once hard enough to break it. I had to lay down in the floor and hope to not throw up for about 15 minutes once. Kinda sad about that, it was my hardhat from my fossil days. Lots of dirt, grease, and grime embedded in that thing. It had character.

I hate to have a pristine looking hardhat. It's embarrassing. Makes it look like I don't turn wrenches for a living.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Despite all the time I've spent around airliners and airplanes, I've only smacked my head hard enough to see stars twice... Once on the pre-conditioned air unit beneath a jetbridge, and once on the vent mast on the #2 engine of a Jetstar when coming out from under the wing during a tire change. Given that I'm 6'2"/188 cm... that's not bad! :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Despite all the time I've spent around airliners and airplanes, I've only smacked my head hard enough to see stars twice... Once on the pre-conditioned air unit beneath a jetbridge, and once on the vent mast on the #2 engine of a Jetstar when coming out from under the wing during a tire change. Given that I'm 6'2"/188 cm... that's not bad! :lol:

I got my worst knockout from jumping into my parents van at full speed. Hit the roof spar of the car, but thankfully, a metal plate on my baseball cap caught the worst damage and left a lasting impression on the car. But I was really counting the stars for the next hour. Luckily, I got better quick. Safety helmets are important!

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Worst I hit my head, was when I was a kid ice skating. Got my feet taken out by someone who fell. No helmet, my head hurt for days. Didn't go to the doctor, for things like that back then.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Work begins to remove Severn toll booths on M4

Bridges over the River Severn, one of the main routes between Wales and England

As the title says, removing the toll booths. Don't know if its common, but this is an asymmetric toll. You pay to get into Wales, but its free to get out.
As you can imagine, its been the source of much humour(mostly not very good)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46539162

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score

As the title says, removing the toll booths. Don't know if its common, but this is an asymmetric toll. You pay to get into Wales, but its free to get out.

Cool! Last time they removed toll booths here they replaced it with tags, and increased the cost...

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score

San Francisco uses a similar set up on the bridges coming into SF... You have to pay to enter, but departure from the city is not charged. There are ways into the city without paying the toll, but you have to detour around the entire southern half of San Francisco Bay.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Hadn't heard of this, he was popular here on tv variety shows.

I think I rememmber him as a guest on one show, doing a routine as a drunk with a lampost! Of its time.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnohFw-yPNE"]Freddie Frinton & The Patton Brothers - I Must Go Home Tonight - YouTube[/ame]

Seems he got a tv series:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6dffv5

Don't remember it.

N.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hell freezes over... its coming home, its coming:

"Dinner for one" will be shown in British TV for the first time, despite having become highly popular outside Britain.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...dinner-for-one-to-air-on-uk-tv-for-first-time

Yeah, I have a british brother in law, and was kind of shocked to find out that he had never heard about that one. Like, it's a staple in swiss new years TV, and it is *always* aired in english without translation. Then the guy told me that *nobody* in england knows about this thing.

He still found it pretty funny when he finally watched it, though.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It's known only in German-speaking countries, no?

No but pretty much northern Europe. Its always broadcast in English here, with few subtitles. Its not like you need a lot of English to understand the humor.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's also shown in Scandinavia with subtitles. (Not sure about Norway and Iceland)

steph

Reaction score
Got an xbox one for the Christmas holidays. So far, the games really look good, even if I'm by and large a PC master race kind of guy.
But it's not plug&play. Well, it is, you just have to pass through way more hoops until you can actually enjoy the games. When I first started it, right off the bat it told me it needed a few hudreds of Mb of updates, without any skip option. On my internet connection, that took hours. Then tried to install The Witcher 3, and lo and behold, it needed 4 Gb of additional updates. So I just left it overnight to download all that. Even more annoying since you can't let it download the downloadable stuff while you're playing another game. The game dvd absolutely has to be in even if it's just downloading stuff for hours before it gets to actualy installing the game itself. So yeah, it's frustrating.
Tried to install Battlefield 1 today, but it needed around 18 Gb of additional stuff over the net, so I'm leaving that for the night. It might actually take days.

I don't get it. Most of the world doesn't have a lighting-fast internet connection and in the US the data caps are pretty harsh, AFAIK. How do people stand having such a data-hungry thing? I'm thinking I might have gotten one of the early models, since it needed all those updates. But so far, every game of the few I've tried needed extra stuff, so it's not like it does a global update and it's done. Not to mention that I'm starting to regret not getting the 1 To version instead of the 500 Gb, since my 40 Gb per game estimate seems woefully wrong. <with only Far Cry Primal and The Witcher 3 installed, the 500 Gb hard is about half full already after all the updates. Not that i expected to install many games, but still, it's way below my expectations.

Last edited: