Humor Random Comments Thread

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Download attribute?

Just an attribute you can give to an html link that is supposed to tell the browser to open the download dialog for the linked resource instead of opening it in the browser.
It's really neat for stuff like context menus. Like, you right-click on an image or document or somesuch in a list and can choose actions like "delete", "download", "move" etc.
Now all that's left for downloading a resource directly on a frontend that relies on CORS is the browser context menu, and that's so crowded that a significant percentage of users have no idea what most of the options do.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
If you add the "Content-Disposition: attachment" header to the thing you're downloading it should work. Basically you can't just point at something and go "download that", the other server has to say "This is meant to be downloaded."

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
They hate cans.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
The moon landings were staged! A monolithic LEM would have been too heavy, so they split it into an ascent state and a descent stage.

*rimshot

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
So, after half-heartedly trying to receive weather satellite images a couple years ago I gave it another go these past few days after seeing how a v-dipole antenna would be extremely easy to build.

So, here it is, in the attic but still indoors (this probably has an effect on the reception from lower elevations and certain directions) for now:
UuhhTLO.jpg

And some of the first results:
gpJkTHv.jpg

m3SvU57.jpg

mztlTFw.jpg

Building a decent enclosure to mount it outside on the antenna mast and possibly automating the picture collection via a raspberry pi or similar would be the next step.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
So I went down a rabbit hole of research for a personal project.
Starts with Hunting techniques used by animals, lead to "Pursuit predation" then to "Persistence hunting" to the realization of why Homo sapiens are the peak predator on the planet.

We can out endure anything we want to hunt. And can evade everything that wants to eat us (that we did not hunt to extinction first that is). And we make and use tools to help us with other forms of hunting. Want to fish but the fish are in deep water, we build a boat, a spear, a net and/or a rod... We must be terrifying to any animal that we have not domesticated.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I think there are some animals that are indifferent to humans. Sure, we can kill them, but if you miss the shot there is a good probability that you'll just wind up at a lower rung on the food chain.

This is at an individual level though. As a group, I thing humans are the most dangerous species on the planet. Also one of the nastiest.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think there are some animals that are indifferent to humans. Sure, we can kill them, but if you miss the shot there is a good probability that you'll just wind up at a lower rung on the food chain.

Usually, we're not in the food chain of those animals at all. They just happen to be pretty massive, and their defensive strategy tends to be an offensive one. Rhinos, Boars and Bears come to mind, all of which won't eat a human if they kill one.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
True. I was thinking in particular along the lines of the wild boar I got around 18 months ago. Those things will eat a human. That thing was had thick hide, and was incredibly fast when it charged me.

Pigs in general will eat pretty much anything. And feral hogs are becoming more and more of a dangerous nuisance. Humans can outsmart/out hunt them, and if hunted from a higher platform, it's reasonably safe.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Ask Hannibal Lecter, he nearly was their favourite dinner guest.

N.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Meh. I saw that section of the movie where the hogs were "trained" to eat humans. There is no training needed. Those things are more voracious that anything I've ever seen. Even alligators will shy away from attacking something bigger than they are. But 5 or 6 feral hogs fear nothing.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
They will? Ok, I was completely unaware of that... :blink:

Just like cows aren't harmless at all, as many people might have found out in the past years.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
True. I was thinking in particular along the lines of the wild boar I got around 18 months ago. Those things will eat a human. That thing was had thick hide, and was incredibly fast when it charged me.

Pigs in general will eat pretty much anything. And feral hogs are becoming more and more of a dangerous nuisance. Humans can outsmart/out hunt them, and if hunted from a higher platform, it's reasonably safe.

Heh. Helicopter hog hunting now makes a LOT more sense.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just like cows aren't harmless at all, as many people might have found out in the past years.

Oh, I know that cows aren't harmless. They're a small car with horns in the front and almost no brains behind the wheel once they're in motion. But they won't *eat* you.
Also, swiss people in my generation that didn't get kicked by a cow at some point during their childhood might be the exception rather than the norm. I think it's gotten rarer nowadays due to more urbanisation (i.e. many swiss don't have cows as next-door neighbours anymore).

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
But they won't *eat* you.

I am pretty sure - they would, if they would eat meat. :lol:

AFAIR, wild boars are also prefering carrion there. They won't kill you if they are hungry, they will kill you for annoying them. And eat you later.