Humor Random Comments Thread

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
A technician of Bombardier had installed a torque tube assembly in a wrong way, resulting in the ailerons reacting opposite to control inputs

How did they not catch that during preflight? Ensuring free and correct flight controls is a must-do on most checklists.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
How did they not catch that during preflight? Ensuring free and correct flight controls is a must-do on most checklists.

Maybe because the TTA effected the spoilers and not the ailerons as I initially thought from the news reports.

Marijn

Reaction score

I think it's fairly common to check free movement only. Correct movement of the control surfaces is usually part of the daily inspection.

This video shows the walkaround. They even use a ladder to inspect the winglets (inspection wing at 10 minutes). But the ailerons are only looked at. https://bombardieratp.cae.com/videos/global-preflight-inspection

This video at 1m12s shows how the pilots do not visually confirm the correct movement, but ensure fee movement only:

In this vid at 0m42s, it looks like the pilot looks at the reflection in the windscreen to inspect the wing, but I am not sure. At least they film it.

I think this your answer. Correct movement is apparently a task of the maintainance checkout procedure. I coudn't find the flight manual. The final answer should be in there.

Edit: timestamps

Last edited:

Linguofreak

Reaction score

I know that free and correct is a checklist item for single engine props, where you can see the control surfaces easily from the cockpit, but checking correctness will be more difficult on an aircraft that has a wing further back and little to no rear visibility from the cockpit.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I think this your answer. Correct movement is apparently a task of the maintainance checkout procedure. I coudn't find the flight manual. The final answer should be in there.

Edit: timestamps

As an actual business jet mechanic (albeit very newly hired and working on a different family of aircraft), that should have been caught before they ever returned that aircraft to the flight crews. A check of proper rigging should ALWAYS follow work on the control linkages to a flight control surface.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
As an actual business jet mechanic (albeit very newly hired and working on a different family of aircraft), that should have been caught before they ever returned that aircraft to the flight crews. A check of proper rigging should ALWAYS follow work on the control linkages to a flight control surface.

The local heli operator used to bring the technicians on the initial check-out flight, if they'd worked on the engine/drive train/controls.

IDK if that procedure survived the merger with the national airline.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Great fun. Our general contractor wants to make our next contract depend on who is responsible for the execution. Of course without writing any objective skill requirements into the specification (which was a joke of a requirements specification anyway).

I wonder if he knows that he is entering a world of pain....

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh man, I totally found myself in the latest XKCD :lol:
unreachable_state_2x.png

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Oh man, I totally found myself in the latest XKCD :lol:

Luckily, I learned the trick from my great C++ sensei to prevent it...

"Divide by cucumber error. Please reinstall universe and reboot."

When ever I want to write my self-doubts and bad mood into a defensive log message for filling some never executed catch block, I remember this wisdom.

When ever you see this in my software, you are really screwed if you have thrown away your universe installation media after 13.9 billion years of operation.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
The feat of subtle propaganda JFK pulled off with his "We chose to go to the moon" speech never ceases to amaze me:

"But why, some say, the Moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask, why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?"

Applause.

"We choose to go to the Moon!"

Applause gets louder.

"We choose to go to the Moon..."

Audience realizes that JFK has moved on from pandering to the local sports team, applause dies down enough that JFK is able to continue.

"We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things..."

Meanwhile, the TV audience outside of Texas thinks everyone was really enthusiastic about choosing to go to the moon.

Kennedy, Kennedy, Kennedy, remind me never to play poker with you...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Some good reading here, the German zoological society has published the declaration of Jena on its 112th birthday, argumenting strongly against the use of the term "race" in any scientific context.

https://www.uni-jena.de/unijenamedi...sse/Jenaer+Erklärung/Jenaer_Erklaerung_EN.pdf

It starts with the not so famous history of how Germans had been responsible in creating the idea of humans being divided into arbitrary defined races. Which anybody interest in the scientific method might want to read because it is also a good example of how bad science is getting turned into the standard by lack of critical thinking.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The feat of subtle propaganda JFK pulled off with his "We chose to go to the moon" speech never ceases to amaze me:

"But why, some say, the Moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask, why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?"

Applause.

"We choose to go to the Moon!"

Applause gets louder.

"We choose to go to the Moon..."

Audience realizes that JFK has moved on from pandering to the local sports team, applause dies down enough that JFK is able to continue.

"We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things..."

Meanwhile, the TV audience outside of Texas thinks everyone was really enthusiastic about choosing to go to the moon.

Kennedy, Kennedy, Kennedy, remind me never to play poker with you...

This was the best part of that speech: ...return it safely to earth, re-entering the atmosphere at speeds of over 25,000 miles per hour, causing heat about half that of the temperature of the sun--almost as hot as it is here today...
:rofl:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Note the context of that statement:

"But if I were to say, my fellow citizens, that we shall send to the moon, 240 thousand miles away from the control station in Houston, a giant rocket...

...and then return it safely to earth, re-entering the atmosphere at speeds of over 25 thousand miles per hour, causing heat about half that of the temperature of the sun—almost as hot as it is here today—and do all this, and do it right, and do it first before this decade is out—then we must be bold."

There is scattered laughter, then growing applause, all throughout the bolded part.

Last edited:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
A couple of pics I took a week ago in Kabelvag, Norway:
rVt4ROK.jpg

CiHg6c2.jpg

7v5QPUg.jpg

pwwd1jk.jpg

This was just one of the weaker intensity Aurorae, but still!

Linguofreak

Reaction score
How to wash your hands:

1) Say "Hallo Hans!"
2) Say "Hans, du stinkst, nimm bitte ein Bad".
3) Hans will take a bath. You have washed your Hans.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score