Humor Random Comments Thread

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Well, thats a fate I don't wish to any one, even evil capitalists. Lets hope they manage to pinpoint the sounds and lift them up.

Nobody should be lost at sea.
Nobody should be lost in space.

The best outcome would be that the five are rescued and the CEO emerges from the sub deeply chastened by the fear of death in his memory and with a completely different attitude about safety and his moral responsibility to his customers. It would be a hell of a way to learn a lesson, but it would be a lasting lesson for most people. Some people just don't understand things until it happens to them personally, especially if they are unwilling to learn based on the experiences of others.

Here's hoping that they survive and lessons are learned, and remembered.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Well, thats a fate I don't wish to any one, even evil capitalists. Lets hope they manage to pinpoint the sounds and lift them up.

I don't think he's an evil capitalist (modulo the universality of human evil), merely an overly optimistic capitalist. An evil capitalist wouldn't eat the dogfood and trust his life to his own sub, and would thus be less likely to autodarwinate. This guy truly believed he could cut corners without compromising safety.

In any case, yes, the hope is that a rescue can be effected, the reality is that it likely won't be.

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
I think one can assume already at this point, that a rescue would be a true miracle. Even if they spot the submarine still today, let's say on the ground of the ocean, how are they going to lift it up?

Time is critically acting against them. It'll be over tomorrow.

What a nightmare... 😩

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think one can assume already at this point, that a rescue would be a true miracle. Even if they spot the submarine still today, let's say on the ground of the ocean, how are they going to lift it up?

Time is critically acting against them. It'll be over tomorrow.

What a nightmare... 😩

With a cranes hook, attached to the submarines by a ROV?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Sounds easy. But is it really?

Doing it? Yeah. The deepest oil drilling well head is in the same depth, with ROVs maintaining it.

Doing it in 14 hours? Not so sure.

The Polar Prince is already heading home now, including the platform for recovering the vessel the usual way I suppose. But three other ships are on location.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
On a completely random note, and therefore weirdly on-topic, is there a special term for electronics in a spacecraft? You know, like avionics is a special term for electronics in a plane?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
On a completely random note, and therefore weirdly on-topic, is there a special term for electronics in a spacecraft? You know, like avionics is a special term for electronics in a plane?

Surprisingly not, that I am aware of. Actually avionics is used there too in some literature.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
With a cranes hook, attached to the submarines by a ROV?
If the Titan is still on the bottom now something went seriously wrong. There are reportedly several different ways for them to jettison ballast to return to the surface, including a timed automatic release by dissolving an adhesive bond, releasing weight, and one where they can physically shift the center of gravity of the sub to dump ballast. Both of these methods do not require any electrical power. If they are still on the bottom either all of these methods failed, or they are fouled on something preventing them from rising, or they are flooded and sunk. The pressure vessel may have imploded, but that would be a pretty detectable acoustic event. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they took in water through slower leaks and sank.

If they are on the bottom now they will likely be easier to find, but likely will be dead. I very much hope that they are bobbing around on the surface somewhere, but that means that they can move with the wind and waves, making finding them on the surface challenging. How far they traveled would be hard to predict without knowing exactly when they surfaced. They need to do both surface and bottom searches until they find them.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If the Titan is still on the bottom now something went seriously wrong. There are reportedly several different ways for them to jettison ballast to return to the surface, including a timed automatic release by dissolving an adhesive bond, releasing weight, and one where they can physically shift the center of gravity of the sub to dump ballast. Both of these methods do not require any electrical power. If they are still on the bottom either all of these methods failed, or they are fouled on something preventing them from rising, or they are flooded and sunk. The pressure vessel may have imploded, but that would be a pretty detectable acoustic event. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they took in water through slower leaks and sank.

If they are on the bottom now they will likely be easier to find, but likely will be dead. I very much hope that they are bobbing around on the surface somewhere, but that means that they can move with the wind and waves, making finding them on the surface challenging. How far they traveled would be hard to predict without knowing exactly when they surfaced. They need to do both surface and bottom searches until they find them.

I still assume that the systems didn't work as expected. The easier fate. Then the ROV could trigger them or the submarine is lifted as whole.

If they got pushed into the wreck by a current or the many lines hanging on it got entangled, there could be MAYBE some ways to move the debris by the ROV. but its much harder.

But: What if they worked and the capsule is on the surface? Can the P-3 find it, halfway submerged?

The region has lots of shipping and also lots of things washed into the ocean. Including full 40 ft containers.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Avionics is a portmanteau of aviation and electronics. What would be the space equivalent to 'aviation'?

I suppose a similar question could be asked about marine electronics.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I suppose a similar question could be asked about marine electronics.

"Brevis circuitus maximus"

(But I think, maori is better suited for spacecraft electronics: hikohiko waka ātea)

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
But: What if they worked and the capsule is on the surface? Can the P-3 find it, halfway submerged?

This is what the sub would look like at the surface on a rather calm sea, if you were looking directly at it through a lens:

94wtos1zv77b1.png

If there are any white caps or swells and the enormity of the search field, getting eyeballs on it would be very difficult. With it's titanium and composite construction finding it by magnetic anomaly detection probably isn't super easy, and it may be that no one knows whether MAD could find it. I don't know if surface radar could pick a return off the mast in any sea. Sonar would have a similar problem trying to pick it out of surface clutter.

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
Of course, military applications first.
no, by the way, the carrier of the apparatus must save the emergency landing spacecraft Soyuz

it would be great to dive to the bottom in an orbiter
f7439a4638f123e1becf606bd376176c.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
no, by the way, the carrier of the apparatus must save the emergency landing spacecraft Soyuz

it would be great to dive to the bottom in an orbiter
View attachment 33655

Better make another simulation engine for that. You can't simulate it all equally good with one engine. And tell me when it is ready, ;)

Actually, I would really like to have a simulation of the offshore drilling business. What they do there is not less complex as spaceflight, just pretty much more dirty and without livestreams.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
If they are still on the bottom either all of these methods failed, or they are fouled on something preventing them from rising, or they are flooded and sunk. The pressure vessel may have imploded, but that would be a pretty detectable acoustic event. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they took in water through slower leaks and sank.

If they are on the bottom now they will likely be easier to find, but likely will be dead.

It's not quite that grim. I'm quite pessimistic about location and recovery in the time available, but they've been banging on the hull every 30 min, so they're known to be currently alive or only very recently dead.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Avionics is a portmanteau of aviation and electronics. What would be the space equivalent to 'aviation'?
Hmmm... Aviation is derived from Avis, latin for bird. There's no animals in space, but there's... stars. Latin stella. Stellatronics? Not a great portmonteau, sounds too cheesy. But we could evade to greek, and call it... Astronics, I guess? That actually has a nice and somewhat logical ring to it, considering SF has long since referred to "navigation in space" as "astrogation"...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
This is what the sub would look like at the surface on a rather calm sea, if you were looking directly at it through a lens:

94wtos1zv77b1.png

If there are any white caps or swells and the enormity of the search field, getting eyeballs on it would be very difficult. With it's titanium and composite construction finding it by magnetic anomaly detection probably isn't super easy, and it may be that no one knows whether MAD could find it. I don't know if surface radar could pick a return off the mast in any sea. Sonar would have a similar problem trying to pick it out of surface clutter.

Sounds BAD.

Why didn't they paint at least parts of it orange?