Humor Random Comments Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
what you wait for it to discharge ? I touch the insides of my PSU all the time :)

Call me superstitious, but I dislike ruining dynamic memory by having residual electricity in the slot. ;)

My father is a high voltage electrician and his talents also got over to the next generation, but only because I survived 220V a few times in my life, this should not mean other things can do the same stunt. :dry:

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
220v thats quite power full (and I did not really touch my psu so dont go trying it)

-----Posted Added-----

wow I have 82 tabs open in Firefox

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
220v thats quite power full (and I did not really touch my psu so dont go trying it)

Yeah, but we use only half the amps you have in the USA, so the power is the same. voltage alone does not kill you, but power. With static electricity you can generate up to 3000V - but at infinitesimal amps.

But that does not apply to integrated circuits, especially the nanometer large capacitors inside RAM chips are extremely touchy for high voltage sparks, even if they come with small amperes.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I am not in the usa so I don't know how many amps they have
EDIT: cant you get higher than 3000v with static ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I am not in the usa so I don't know how many amps they have

Oh my fault. I thought you are from the US and did not look at your profile closely.

Your plugs use 240V, 50 Hz and are usually fused to 13 Amps (G-type plugs).
Here, they are now 230V, 50 Hz and maximal 16 Amps (F or "Schuko"-plugs).

EDIT: cant you get higher than 3000v with static ?

I will not exclude it, but 3000V is the conservative number I know.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
YAYZ Me and my dad have decided to split the saving up 50-50 and buy a Geforce 8700

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Oh my fault. I thought you are from the US and did not look at your profile closely.

Your plugs use 240V, 50 Hz and are usually fused to 13 Amps (G-type plugs).
Here, they are now 230V, 50 Hz and maximal 16 Amps (F or "Schuko"-plugs).
A couple of electrical safety comments here. It is current and time that are the critical parameters to consider when determining electric shock risk. The electron flow associated with current in the vicinity of the heart has the potential to disrupt the electrical signals that control the heart muscles (this how a defibrillator works). The risk to the heart is proportional to both the current and the time that current is flowing for. Additionally, current and time determine the energy dissipated in the body and hence the risk of burns. However, the current in the body is generally proportional to an externally applied voltage (called touch potential), in accordance with Ohms Law. So, the higher the voltage, the higher the current.

Attached is a chart from one of our standards that shows how long a standard human can remain in contact with an externally applied voltage and reasonably expect to survive. This chart is only valid for low voltages (up to 415V).

The reason static electricity is not deadly is two fold. A static discharge will result in a direct current and muscles are less sensitive to this compared to mains frequency alternating current. Secondly, the total energy, and hence the amount of time the current can flow for is generally very low. So a 3000V static discharge generally will not be deadly because the source will fully discharge before the current has enough time to kill you.

Electronic equipment often contains capacitors that can store significant amounts of energy (enough to kill or damage you), power supplies in particular. These can take a long time to discharge if not discharged manually. Generally (depending on the equipment) they will be discharged if you turn the equipment "on" after it is disconnected from the mains but this doesn't always work. I once received a nasty shock from the capacitors in a TV set I was working on. I had the equipment switch "on" to discharge the capacitors but they did not discharge because of one of the faults in the set. Not fun. Much better to check with a multi-meter rather than assuming.

Another important point: In Australia (and Europe AFAIK) the electrical safety standards do not require you protect against direct contact with mains voltage. When doing our protection calculations, we will not consider that you will be connected to mains voltage directly but rather through the earthed housing of some faulty piece of equipment. This means that the touch potential will be not be full mains voltage, it will be reduced by the impedance in the cables supplying the fault and the return earth path, and the target disconnection time for the protection (fuses, circuit breakers, etc) will be increased accordingly. So, don't EVER work inside a live piece of equipment unless you are trained to do so and have the proper protection (both circuit protection and personal protective equipment as appropriate).

I will not exclude it, but 3000V is the conservative number I know.
You can get up to 5MV with a good Van der Graff generator ;)

EDIT: I forgot to add, a 16A fuse will not limit the current to 16A, nor will it blow as soon as it exceeds 16A. I've attached a time-current curve for a fairly typical 16A HRC type fuse.

Attachments

• Curve_Study_16A_fuse.pdf
    4.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Touch_Potential_Curve.pdf
    99.6 KB · Views: 3

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Something tells me you should be punished for making a clearly unrandom lengthy post here :)

joeybigO

can't get in a word edgewise
Donator
Reaction score
my wife is wearing one of those fcuk shirts. I'm not sure how to react about it. Especially because she is from Columbia.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Sure not a "That One" shirt.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
This economic slowdown is so stupid. The Dow is worth at least 10,000. Its like people are determined to crap down the whole economy for no reason. The credit crunch is just as dump, its like idiots are afraid to led money because they can't tell the difference between a BS loan and a good loan.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
my wife is wearing one of those fcuk shirts. I'm not sure how to react about it. Especially because she is from Columbia.
Tell her you are dyslexic ;)

I get all my dresses on-line...
:blink: Perhaps that is for the best... :lol:

This economic slowdown is so stupid. The Dow is worth at least 10,000. Its like people are determined to crap down the whole economy for no reason. The credit crunch is just as dump, its like idiots are afraid to led money because they can't tell the difference between a BS loan and a good loan.
Yep, there will be some bargains to be had for anyone who has some spare cash left.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yep, there will be some bargains to be had for anyone who has some spare cash left.

Provided you choose wisely. This being a "random" thread, though, you could just gamble.

Lunar_Lander

Reaction score
Once found this Swiss website (www.lilli.ch) which answers questions of teenagers and there somebody asked the following:

Q: What are the measurements of a CD envelope?
A: You can measure that for yourself.

Also, the website contained an alarming number of questions where people told how they had stolen something from a shop and what they should do now. (Why would somebody steal and then ask in publicity for advice? The website was anonymous but what about this thing called IP address ;)?)

Thanks @tblaxland for the electrical instructions. On the website given, a more recent question dealt with somebody who wanted to get his private parts in contact with an electrical fence for three minutes as a test of bravery. Fortunately, the answer was, that he should never try this.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There is a website for people who live in my area to talk about local subjects, and it's purposely not moderated and flamewars are encouraged. Threads frequently pop up with posts such as "got a speeding ticket, liscense suspended. what do I do?" followed inevitably by posts such as, "sterilize yourself so you can't reproduce", etc. It's very immature and very, very funny.