Humor Random Comments Thread

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I spent a couple hours trying to find and fix this in a string handling function:

Code:
if(string[i] = '\n')
{
    //blah
}

Excuse me while I go perform percussive maintenance on my brain...

:beathead:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It becomes a very interesting and philosophical sentence if generalized. Food for thought, really. :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Well, some how it does make sense, not only artistically. ;) Think of a taxi driver and his relation to traffic regulations. Or a programmer in regards of the rules and guidelines of his programming language and project... Djikstra considered the goto harmful, but breaking the law from time to time brings better programs.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I spent a couple hours trying to find and fix this in a string handling function:

Oh, I did pretty much the same two weeks ago. Funniest thing was that I was even thinking that it could be this problem, and I checked the exact place in the code. And still didn't see it. Needed to take a break before finding it...

On another note, I wonder where the close association between pirates and swashbuckling comes from. In no book, movie or video game would I have ever seen one swashbuckle. They always seem to fight with rapiers...

theshhh

2 year orbiter player
Reaction score
Oh, I did pretty much the same two weeks ago. Funniest thing was that I was even thinking that it could be this problem, and I checked the exact place in the code. And still didn't see it. Needed to take a break before finding it...

On another note, I wonder where the close association between pirates and swashbuckling comes from. In no book, movie or video game would I have ever seen one swashbuckle. They always seem to fight with rapiers...

excuse me, is your name based off jebediah? (KSP) :rofl:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
excuse me, is your name based off jebediah? (KSP)

Not as such, but the two are related. It's two different spellings of the same hebrew name that is over two and a half millenia old. KSP came a bit later, I'm afraid. It also came about 31 years after my father seriously contemplated actually naming me Jedidia shortly before his death. I wear the nickname in his memory, or lack thereof, since he died before my birth.

Linguofreak

Reaction score

Well, first off, the fact that the code printed a bunch of newlines where it should have been printing other characters made me suspect another part of the code (whose output was shifted up the screen by all the newlines).

Once I eliminated that, I didn't even suspect that I'd written "=" for "==", even after it became obvious that code that should execute conditionally was executing unconditionally. So I reordered the code to put the "else" case first, and in doing so introduced another bug, which involved ">" instead of ">=", and also demonstrated that newlines were still being generated where they shouldn't be (though not everywhere). I think the fact that I had to add an "=" to solve that bug clued me in to what the original bug was.

The scary thing is that, had I not introduced the second bug, not only would I not have gotten the clue I needed for the first bug in fixing it, but the first bug would have been masked (but not taken care of) by the reordering I did.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Rather historic evolution, since Swashbucklers are just loud, boastful and rough swordsmen. But true, I never saw a pirate with a buckler.

Mattyv

Rocket Scientist in Training
Reaction score
I'd like to see a weather forecast use Rankine

"Today the temperature will drop to 490 degrees. As such a frost advisory has been issued"

That sure would be a good way to screw with people.:hmm:

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
In a cavern, in a canyon,
Excavating for a mine
Dwelt a miner forty niner,
And his daughter Clementine

MattBaker

Reaction score
"Today the temperature will drop to 490 degrees. As such a frost advisory has been issued"

That sure would be a good way to screw with people.:hmm:

Sounds like weather forecasts by Venus' Aliens...

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Never did like the metric system, US tons are: 2000 lbs = 1ton Thanks!
:huh: 1 US ton = 2000 lbs, but why isn't it a more round number, like 1000? I'll never understand non-metric systems. :p

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Doin' good right now. IHP is coming along nicely: we are about 20 million clicks out with 82 days to go, and I expect pretty soon we'll hit the straight-way and plunge in-system