Humor Random Comments Thread

Unstung

Reaction score
:huh: 1 US ton = 2000 lbs, but why isn't it a more round number, like 1000? I'll never understand non-metric systems. :p
That's a short ton. I guess it's used because it's close to 1000 kg, a metric ton.
1000 kg = 2205 lbs

Linguofreak

Reaction score
That's a short ton. I guess it's used because it's close to 1000 kg, a metric ton.
1000 kg = 2205 lbs

No, the non-metric ton came first (it was originally a unit of volume equal to 2048 pints, and a pint is very roughly a pound), and then the megagram was named the "metric ton" because it was close to one ton (a bit more than a short ton and a bit less than a long ton).

MattBaker

Reaction score
nationstate said:
"As I've been saying for many years now, cheese is a dangerous weapon in the wrong hands and should be outlawed. Ban all cheese now, and enforce it!"

21182643.jpg

Delta4

Hybernating colonist
Reaction score
CHEESE

Charged High Energy Electro Static Emancipator

Since the end of the Cold War, CHEESE has been relatively easy to obtain. However, the intelligence agencies of most countries have refused to see the potential offensive uses of CHEESE. Its most well-known use was by civilian militias against an unidentified aircraft. The video is now on YouTube, known as "Throw the Cheese!" Note the lack of capital letters. Exactly how effective the attack was is unknown. The effects of CHEESE destroyed the camera.

jimblah

Reaction score
Better than Roswell

I set a screenshot of the Updated Arrow Freighter v.2012 as my wallpaper and listened to Coldplay all night. I woke up dreaming I was a real life space alien. :rolleyes:

jimblah

Reaction score
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

I recently saw a documentary regarding how our minds are extremely capable of playing tricks on us. In it they referenced Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, author of the famed Sherlock Holmes series. While Doyle, a man with a clever mind for rationalism, he also demonstrated a profound interest in spiritualism. He was for a time very close friends with Houdini, another rationalist who prided himself on performing tricks for his audience that dispelled any notion of spiritualism in their solution. Unfortunately, Doyle's belief in spiritualism drove them apart.

My first real encounter with Holmes was in STTNG. Then I saw the two films with Robert Downey, Jr. Now I'm watching 'Sherlock' set in modern day London (London is Beautiful.) Once I've loaded my mind with imagery and the sound of the 'accent', I'm going to get it straight from Doyle himself.
:cheers:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
So, my laptop battery says 47Wh on it. CPUID says 29.376Wh designed/full/current capacity. :confused: (and 0% wear)

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

I can't tell whether that video is a terrible joke, or just features terrible people.

Check out part 2 on the related videos.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
...My first real encounter with Holmes was in STTNG. Then I saw the two films with Robert Downey, Jr. Now I'm watching 'Sherlock' set in modern day London (London is Beautiful.) Once I've loaded my mind with imagery and the sound of the 'accent', I'm going to get it straight from Doyle himself.
:cheers:

IMHO, the best screen versions of Sherlock Holmes featured Basil Rathbone. He was Sherlock Holmes for me while I was growing up. Keep in mind though, they are not action flicks like the Robert Downey Jr. movies.