Humor Random Comments Thread

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Classic shot this one:

It's okay, but I dislike the overcast white sky. That one will be tough to print when I get around to it. And I shot soooo much film I'll have to pick and choose which ones to spend time on!

Glad you can see them.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 PM ----------

I hope someone was holding your ankles for those "over-the-edge" shots...

Nope, although I was well aware of my mortality throughout the exercise. Great heights tend to focus one's attention!

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
It's okay, but I dislike the overcast white sky.
Take a leaf out of Frank Hurley's book, a pioneer of "photoshopping". He upset a few people with it, but I think he was a genious (artistically, anyway).

Ordinary image 1:
nla.pic-an24039598-v

+ Ordinary image 2:
nla.pic-an23478309-v

+ stock sky image and some dodging & burning = Famous photograph ;):
nla.pic-an23478555-v

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, well "photoshopping" old school style certainly takes a little talent and lots of patience, not to mention time and expensive paper. But I am fairly good at dodging and burning; if there's a texture to that sky I'll coax it out one way or another. I have other rolls of film which may contain similar shots, so I may not have to try so hard.

The thing that sucks is that when I finish with a nice print it's usually on paper too large to scan in on my lousy Lexmark P.O.S. flatbed, so posting it online probably won't happen.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
The thing that sucks is that when I finish with a nice print it's usually on paper too large to scan in on my lousy Lexmark P.O.S. flatbed, so posting it online probably won't happen.
Our office does a lot of engineering drawings. One of the items in our toolkit is a 600dpi large format colour scanner (up to A0 width, continuous feed). :speakcool:

Unstung

Reaction score
Please don't make the site maintenance message in red, makes me think the Forum itself would be closed indefinitely from a glance.

SPASE_1976

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
random thought : I wonder why good addon developers are french speaking ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
random thought : I wonder why good addon developers are french speaking ?

How to prove that all odd numbers are prime:
Physicians: 1: prime, 3: prime, 5: prime, 7: prime. Experimentally proved with adequate number of samples.
Measurement technology engineers: Using more samples than Physicians to be sure:
1: prime, 3:prime, 5:prime, 7:prime, 9:not prime, 11:prime, 13:prime. All odd numbers are prime, 9 is a measurement error.

SPASE_1976

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How to prove that all odd numbers are prime:
Physicians: 1: prime, 3: prime, 5: prime, 7: prime. Experimentally proved with adequate number of samples.
Measurement technology engineers: Using more samples than Physicians to be sure:
1: prime, 3:prime, 5:prime, 7:prime, 9:not prime, 11:prime, 13:prime. All odd numbers are prime, 9 is a measurement error.

I think that ancient greeks proved it 2000 years ago
( a couple of them not all of them )
OFF TOPIC : now you are at Wolfsburg or Berlin ???

Last edited:

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
now you are at Wolfsburg or Berlin ???
I once took a train that also did the route Wolfsburg <> Berlin.
Train: Berlin-Wolfsburg-Enschede-Utrecht-Amsterdam(*)
Me: Enschede-Utrecht

(*) It had more stops of course

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
OFF TOPIC : now you are at Wolfsburg or Berlin ???

Currently I am in the Gauss computer center (GITZ) in Braunschweig, of the local university, printing some A3 plans.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Well, some people here would also like to get 100 MBit/s internet...
No doubt, I would too. But just compare the relative densities, even Sydney has a density half that of Berlin, and other major population centres even less. They want to get fibre to 90% of the population, that is going to mean a lot of new fibre in regional centres = serious money. They would be better off with a goal of fibre to 75% of population. And where are they starting? Tasmania, of all places!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
No doubt, I would too. But just compare the relative densities, even Sydney has a density half that of Berlin, and other major population centres even less. They want to get fibre to 90% of the population, that is going to mean a lot of new fibre in regional centres = serious money. They would be better off with a goal of fibre to 75% of population. And where are they starting? Tasmania, of all places!

of course, I would do the same. Start with the hard work and do the easy stuff last. :lol:

Still I think it is the right investment. Such a WAN is an important infrastructure and AFAIR Australia is still lacking competitive backbones, except the ocean cables.

I think in the long run, such an investment will pay out for Australia - and that is the goal of all serious government spending.