Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
What's with this new 'no religion' rule? Half the fun of coming onto such an international discussion forum is hearing everyone's opinion on things.
Also, a discussion, by it's very nature, will offend someone. Otherwise we'll all just be sitting here nodding our heads and saying "yes, very true." Discussions cause friction, discussions cause a little offense but discussions also help others form ideas, and help everyone understand the world a bit better.
I think it's pretty sad that we can't do that any more.

Given the amount of resistance we've had to this new policy we are looking into making some changes to it. We'd like to give the members as much of a say about our policies as possible and I think over the past day the amount of resistance on the issue has made it clear to us that you all do not want to be restricted when it comes to posting discussions. We are considering all necessary changes now and will update you all as soon as a solution is found.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have an honest question here. Not trying to start anything, just an honest question. Please don't delete this without first explaining to me why.

I noticed two posts have been deleted from this thread. One was mine, one was someone elses. Neither post mentioned a religion, only evolution itself, which in my understanding, is a valid scientific (not religious) theory. Neither post was arguing evolution versus creation, as is forbidden by the new rule which is under review. I simply commented on the other post by stating it would likely be proven correct soon. I apologize if this is a violation, but I made every effort not to bring any religious content into my post, regardless of my feelings. And yet today I find my post is gone, along with another. I only ask which moderator deleted it, and am asking for (realizing there is no obligation to provide) an explanation as to what part of my post you felt had religious implications and was a violation of the new forum rules.

Tex, whatever you decide, thank you for creating this forum.

Regards,
n122vu

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I have an honest question here. Not trying to start anything, just an honest question. Please don't delete this without first explaining to me why.

I noticed two posts have been deleted from this thread. One was mine, one was someone elses. Neither post mentioned a religion, only evolution itself, which in my understanding, is a valid scientific (not religious) theory. Neither post was arguing evolution versus creation, as is forbidden by the new rule which is under review. I simply commented on the other post by stating it would likely be proven correct soon. I apologize if this is a violation, but I made every effort not to bring any religious content into my post, regardless of my feelings. And yet today I find my post is gone, along with another. I only ask which moderator deleted it, and am asking for (realizing there is no obligation to provide) an explanation as to what part of my post you felt had religious implications and was a violation of the new forum rules.

Tex, whatever you decide, thank you for creating this forum.

Regards,
n122vu

My apologies mate. I deleted that post along with all the others about the religious rule change as I didn't want this thread to turn into a debate about the new rule. I don't recall exactly which post of yours I removed, but I assure you it was for a good reason, most likely because others had already quoted you and replied with a post that did discuss the rule change.

As mentioned above, we are in the process of reversing this change which has sparked a large amount of resistance. I hope to post an update on this very soon. I am drafting some changes as we speak. :speakcool:

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Tex: my apologies for my possibly too stubborn attitude towards this issue. I think all we can always get along employing a plain common sense and a healthy respect towards views different from our own.

I agree that in the first place, a forum individual's moral dignity should be guarded through the rules not allowing bashing or discrimination over anything, including religion. On the other hand, controversal situations are possible. Assume there's a discussion going on over a concept marginal between science and religion, like a Big Bang, for instance. It might have started with no mention of creation in the beginning, but then a creation advocate comes and brings in a religious point of view in the topic. Two people simply held different world views and inadverently brought themselves to a clash. I believe that in such a case nobody can be deemed wrong unless the discussion turns to a flame war. People must hold respect towards each other and stop arguing when they see they can't persuade the opponent to agree with themselves. This is a civilized approach to discussions. Banning all possible "dangerous" topics away is not productive, on the other hand. There are just too many of them.

Sorry for posting this in the Random Comments, I cansee this is not a best place for this, but the rule announcement thread doesn't allow replying.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There will always be fights and problems, doesn't matter what your policies are regarding fights. I agree with the zero tolerance policy to prevent flaming, thread degradations and other things that often happen on forums... but you can't stop it completely. There will always be frustrations... and I've been around forums for 5 years now so I know these things rarely continue over PMs. Frustrations never get cleared up and explode in some time in some other thread.

I found the best solution to be a section in the forums that has far less rules and every thread that gets out of hand gets split/moved there. There the members are free to take out their frustrations without completely interrupting the rest of the forum. Of course the flaming section of the forum still gets moderated when people cross the line. And again the question of "where is the line" comes up... that's up to you... but you have to make it so that people can still pick on each other without being banned.

That way you have all the filth kept in once place and the rest of the forum tidy.

If anyone starts posting outside of section... normal rules apply.

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I found the best solution to be a section in the forums that has far less rules and every thread that gets out of hand gets split/moved there.

Like the Windows vs. Linux thread, right? That was 'fun'. And also very 'religious'.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I suggested a free for all forum months ago. For the obvious reasons this will never happen on OF.
You wouldn't have much fun anyway, I only suggested it because I want my mod-faggotry friday :p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think any discussions about faith can't work. Either all are equally right, or all are equally wrong. You can't exchange arguments and you can't have moderators carefully moderating the discussions.

I won't miss religious discussions. Intelligent Design, Young Earth Creationism, Moon Landing Hoax, Vi or Emacs, all the same. They create more bad blood than enlightenment.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
My apologies mate. I deleted that post along with all the others about the religious rule change as I didn't want this thread to turn into a debate about the new rule. I don't recall exactly which post of yours I removed, but I assure you it was for a good reason, most likely because others had already quoted you and replied with a post that did discuss the rule change.

As mentioned above, we are in the process of reversing this change which has sparked a large amount of resistance. I hope to post an update on this very soon. I am drafting some changes as we speak. :speakcool:

Fair enough. No harm, no foul. :cheers: Didn't mean to start a chain reaction if I did. After I typed this last post I seemed to remember an earlier rule about not discussing the forum rules in the public forum, but didn't have an opportunity to edit. Again, thanks for this site & all that you & the mods do for it. I like the new changes & hope they work to smooth things out. Thanks again.

n122vu

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Do you think I have too many comments?

Attachments

• AttitudeMFDProgress.png
    AttitudeMFDProgress.png
    96.4 KB · Views: 222

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Do you think I have too many comments?

Maybe you don't have enough code. :p
I would only use that amount of comments if I felt like I had to explain a lot. But then I'm probably the kind of programmer who doesn't use enough comments.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
...A gust of wind that sounded like any other swept across the busy street. Some dust fell of the wall. A sound shacked the pavement.
No one was looking at the corner where chaos of matter turned into order, revealing an alien shape that looked like busy human.
The shape walked around the corner, being yet unnoticed, as people on one side seen a man appear from behind a corner, and people on the other side saw a man disappear behind a corner.
As always on this weird planet, the inhabitants missed yet another miracle they were often thinking about looking for...

Unstung

Reaction score
Unrealistic_Realism_by_Unstung.png

Guess which astronaut that is. Probably not difficult, even when not cheating.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Unrealistic_Realism_by_Unstung.png

Guess which astronaut that is. Probably not difficult, even when not cheating.
That photograph is obviously a forgery. Everyone knows the moon is made of cheddar.

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
How the deuce did I end up back in 2009? I was supposed to go forward 10 minutes, not backwards 20 years! If anyone here meets a fella named Dr. Jager, stay away from him. He's an untrustworthy, manipulative deserter.

What the?! I don't remember ever posting that!

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I sometimes feel like I traveled in time (I mean, not in the same direction, or at least not at the same speed as other people).

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
sometimes early this morning I was violently awoken by a very very loud bang.
Clouds indicated it was probably just thunder, but I checked if there was an explosion in town nonetheless.

It was thunder after all.