Humor Random Comments Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I played Universal Combat a few months ago. A lot of stuff sucked, but the one thing I did like was the advanced management of the ship; management of shuttles, fighters, power systems, soldier patrols, etc.

This looks like it's up my ally; I better wait till next weekend to buy it though or I won't get anything done over the week.

What I dislike is the timescale of it... Playing UC is something for arctic nights. It takes a long while to get ahead.

palebluevoice

Loud, fat weirdo
Donator
Reaction score
What I dislike is the timescale of it... Playing UC is something for arctic nights. It takes a long while to get ahead.

Yeah, I usually had netflix or my cellphone out. Captain's in-flight entertainment.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah, I usually had netflix or my cellphone out. Captain's in-flight entertainment.

Yeah...a better mission design might have been the ideal remedy there, the world simply did not care much about the player it seems, even trade did not bring you much joy.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I played Universal Combat a few months ago. A lot of stuff sucked, but the one thing I did like was the advanced management of the ship; management of shuttles, fighters, power systems, soldier patrols, etc.

This looks like it's up my ally; I better wait till next weekend to buy it though or I won't get anything done over the week.

Dude, at once point I while playing FTL, I started yelling at the screen for my crew to do specific tasks.

Oh and don't expect to win in your first play through. I also suggest you don't read walkthroughs or strategy manuals. It kind of spoils the experience.

The game also randomly generates the sectors you go through and the events, so every playthrough is different.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I guess I'll just stick to Starflight TLC

Is that actually playable by now? The last time I checked it it was still awfully clumsy and not-fun. I actually thought it was vaporware by now...

Yes, and for some reason it lags increadibly badly on my computer. I can play far more demanding games, but apparently not this one that is pretty much pseudo-2D...

define "demanding". Thanks to the complete separation of graphics processing, the demand of a complex game for CPU cycles can be significant, even if it's graphics suck (see dwarf fortress in later stages), or negligible even though it features extremely advanced graphics (most AAA titles actually).
I have a decently strong GPU (on my ain rig, anyways), but my CPU is a bit outdated already, resulting in me being able to play Mass Effect 3 while converting videos in the background and doing some additional stuff, but poor me if I have too much dwarfs whizzing about... :facepalm:

re FTL: Sounds like something I might really enjoy... Is it steam exclusively, or is there a chance to get it anywhere else? I have so far successfully resisted a steam account.

Last edited:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Is that actually playable by now? The last time I checked it it was still awfully clumsy and not-fun. I actually thought it was vaporware by now...

Seemed playable to me. Haven't had any frequent crashes or anything.

I have a decently strong GPU (on my ain rig, anyways), but my CPU is a bit outdated already, resulting in me being able to play Mass Effect 3 while converting videos in the background and doing some additional stuff, but poor me if I have too much dwarfs whizzing about... :facepalm:

Exactly the case with many games. Especially so if they have no demo available and my computer's written specs seem to match or exceed the requirements. Same for Dwarf Fortress and other expansive roguelikes.

re FTL: Sounds like something I might really enjoy... Is it steam exclusively, or is there a chance to get it anywhere else? I have so far successfully resisted a steam account.

GOG.com has it DRM free.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/faster_than_light

Last edited:

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
I'm up late on the weekend, staying up because I've been trying to find out why one of the scenarios I modified wasn't working right. I took a scenario the developer made, and I gutted all traces of everything but the one spacecraft I wanted. Works fine in outside view, but going into the cockpit causes a CTD. Checked the log, searched the forum, tried various solutions, and it didn't fix. I've been fiddling for two hours, and nothing is coming to mind as to why it keeps happening. So I finally go looking at the scenario file; lo and behold there the BEGIN_HUD thing starts a Docking MFD referencing a vessel I removed from the scenario. :facepalm:

I starting to think I need a checklist for editing the .scn files.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
GOG.com has it DRM free.

:woohoo: Thanks!

Seemed playable to me. Haven't had any frequent crashes or anything.

Looks like they even had an official release. Nice! Of course, my laptop's poor old GPU doesn't get on with OGL too well, so it's running pretty much slo-mo. I finally need to get back home.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Every release of FTL IIRC has no DRM.

EDIT: Ignore me...

---------- Post added at 03:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 AM ----------

gpYTD.png

Last edited:

MattBaker

Reaction score
NEVER use bears on reusable spacecrafts. Either you need HAL, who can control everything by himself or your cockpit is scratched beyond every measurement.

Same applies to the packaging of software, also you would not believe what the back of a DVD could look like...

Last edited:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
So, I was watching some flight day recaps from STS-134, and they have got to be one of the most laid back Shuttle crews I've seen.:lol:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Oh wow! I can't believe I have just met two pioneers of Trans-Neptunian Objects (TNOs, a.k.a. Pluto, Eris, Quaoar, Sedna et al.) in my university. I was excited to see them after all these years (I came across their discovery of objects out there after Pluto while writing a short paper in Grade 7 (8 years ago!))...... :sweet: