Humor Random Comments Thread

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The worst part of literature is pretentious symbolism.

Guess what we started reading today? Hint: it involves colors and the 1920s

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I had to read TGG in 10th grade.

I was not amused.

And I very recently saw a preview for a new movie they're making out of it.

Grrrrrr.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I liked The Great Gatsby marginally better than I liked A Separate Peace. Of all the high school reading that was forced upon me I liked The Scarlet Letter best of all.

For some good reading entertainment though, I recommend Dumas, and his books with the Musketeers The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After, and The Vicomte de Bragelonne (although that last book is hard to find in it's entirety as it's usually broken up into 3 separate books).

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
My second guess would have been Joesph and The Technicolor Dreamcoats.

...I am not a smart man

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Before the transition to digital television, my grandparents' house used to have a TV with a dial on it.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Before the transition to digital television, my grandparents' house used to have a TV with a dial on it.

I'm willing to guess that it NEVER BROKE. Unlike our plastic TVs today.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
My idea of a good book is Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy. Kinda on the adult side of the spectrum, but enjoyable and pretty solidly in the "hard sci-fi" genre.
Other favorites include Robert L. Forward (one of the great minds behind the solar sail), early Robert Heinlein, and for a splash of action, John Ringo.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I liked The Great Gatsby marginally better than I liked A Separate Peace. Of all the high school reading that was forced upon me I liked The Scarlet Letter best of all.

I am comforted by the fact that the mandatory Swiss literature is actually pretty good. Well, "the black spider" might not be a blast, but it's still your basic horror tale albeit with a severe case of moral values dissonance, but anything by Dürrenmatt is just pure gold.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I can only agree, reading Dürrenmatt is recommended.

Otfried Preußler died yesterday... the author of such great German childrens novels like "The little witch", "The Robber Hotzenplotz" and "Krabat" (Also known as "The Satanic Mill"). Fantasy stories which don't get worse, once you had been adult.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Same for me... the first TV I had as child was a simple monochrome TV with analog dials for selecting the channel.

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Eh?
If it broke, you could have just bought the replacement tubes in an electronics store, and fix it.

If, however, you mean broke by falling off the table - then the glass vacuum cavity monsters of old are as fragile as, well, a glass vacuum cavity, while modern plastic ones can be tossed out of a window, and survive.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I had to read TGG in 10th grade.

I was not amused.

And I very recently saw a preview for a new movie they're making out of it.

Grrrrrr.

Couldnt agree more. Just a really depressing, slow book to read. Thankfully the other novel we needed to read in my Grade 12 English was of our own choice, so I chose Gullivers Travels. One of my all time favourites (and a sort of handbook to phobos too)

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Yeah, no kidding. Even our old CRT (not terribly old) from 2000 is still working better than ever. I imagine it will last longer than the flatscreen we got just last December.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Dunno, never had a flat failing on me except for power reasons, which is usually fixed easy enough. CRTs on the other hand... I spent quite a few of those back in the day.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Dunno, never had a flat failing on me except for power reasons, which is usually fixed easy enough. CRTs on the other hand... I spent quite a few of those back in the day.

Well, assuming we're not dropping them, the newer ones wear out quicker. I'm not sure why. It's like old cars, they're still running because they were built to last; whereas you can go pickup a KIA and have it disintegrate the first time it gets hit at 10 mph.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I used a dialed TV up until about 5 years ago. Every once in a while it would drop some of the colour channels and the screen would turn red, and we'd have to slap it to fix it.
My idea of a good book is Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy. Kinda on the adult side of the spectrum, but enjoyable and pretty solidly in the "hard sci-fi" genre.
Eh...Red Mars was excellent, though I find Green Mars is meandering and slow. I haven't yet finished it, though, so I should comment any more than that.