Humor Random Comments Thread

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Reference to making references to a topic? Well, I blew it!

In all seriousness though, I think Godwins law is pretty damn close. Of all of the eras of history Ive studied, none seem to be more poorly understood by the general public than WW2.

That's just what a Nazi would say!

MattBaker

Reaction score
It refers to a similar probability distribution for Nazi references/accusations by time. I guess the group here at the forums is too civil for that. :)

Well, forum search tells me we do this regularly, but possibly not in the Addon Development or in screenshot threads...
And the believe "we're too civil for that" aka "we're better than the rest of the internet" calls for a Godwin, too

27 years in the past, but 3 and a half hours in the future the core module of Mir was launched, the space station that proved three things: More modules results in more awesome; more nations means more awesome and finally politics, borders and nations can change, but exploration, science und curiosity keep on.

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

In all seriousness though, I think Godwins law is pretty damn close. Of all of the eras of history Ive studied, none seem to be more poorly understood by the general public than WW2.

I like to veto and put my bet on antisemitism and the history of Palestine/Israel, but I fear that's getting to basement-ish

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Thanks to Hitler channel (History Channel), which is doing a pretty good job in spamming the airtime with poorly researched documentations about Nazi Germany. Not that I like the German Hitler-obsessed Guido Knopp (responsible for the series "Hitlers Helpers") more there, but he at least stayed close to the facts despite his POV is often for my taste a bit too much sympathy for the devil.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That's just what a Nazi would say!

Yes, I knew someone would do that just so we could prove Godwins law

Well, forum search tells me we do this regularly, but possibly not in the Addon Development or in screenshot threads...
And the believe "we're too civil for that" aka "we're better than the rest of the internet" calls for a Godwin, too

27 years in the past, but 3 and a half hours in the future the core module of Mir was launched, the space station that proved three things: More modules results in more awesome; more nations means more awesome and finally politics, borders and nations can change, but exploration, science und curiosity keep on.

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

I like to veto and put my bet on antisemitism and the history of Palestine/Israel, but I fear that's getting to basement-ish

Yes, lets keep the floorboards over the basement firmly nailed down with this discussion. Why the post about Mir?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Just finished reading Off The Planet.
Gritty reality is grimer than what i read back in USSR.
Decaying pieces of semi-successful space program, rather than the space-is-ours age the children books shown.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Because it's the Random Commment Thread! :lol:

Scrolls to top of page, checks title

"Oh, so thats where I was!" :lol:

I feel like this thread has slowed down a bit. We need to go on a really big tangent to get things back on (off) track.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The content of this post is in this post.

Until you open the post, the content is both alive and dead (Schroedinger's Post).

What would happen if Schroedinger's Cat would meet Schroedinger's Post?

We'd then have to consider drafting Schroedinger's Clause...... get it.......? Clause? Cat.....Post........Clause.....?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Reference to making references to a topic? Well, I blew it!

Take up some ancient history, then. Pretty sure we know more about the Nazis than the ancient Sumatrans.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Until you open the post, the content is both alive and dead (Schroedinger's Post).

We'd then have to consider drafting Schroedinger's Clause...... get it.......? Clause? Cat.....Post........Clause.....?

Ba-dum-TSS! :lol:
Nicely put. :tiphat:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Take up some ancient history, then. Pretty sure we know more about the Nazis than the ancient Sumatrans.

No, no, what I mean is that we have a great deal of knowledge available about WW2, but very few people actually understand the time period very well. Its not just about the Nazis though; for example, take Pearl Harbour.

A lot of current accounts about Pearl Harbour that are meant for popular consumption such as video games, movies, high school history texts, & TV documentaries can give you details about what happened during the battle down to the smallest detail, but they never seem to find time to explain the rationale behind why Japan attacked (Oil/Materials Embargo by the States, conflict over economic influence in China, etc). Of course, for decades few people in Western society ever questioned that portrayal of the attack because that's how they remembered it: raw, shocking, & seemingly irrational.

What I find extremely concerning about that view is that it reinforces the attitude that America needs to be paranoid about the world beyond its borders. Not properly listing the real reasons behind why Japan started the war implies that the Japanese attacked for the heck of it, & that the rest of the world might be about to do so any time too. Casting the rest of the world as irrational can be a very dangerous mindset to develop.

---------- Post added at 02:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 AM ----------

Meh, lets just perform the experiment already. :lol:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me what this is? ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me what this is? ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Ooooh, you broke the forums somehow. What is that?

MattBaker

Reaction score

Persia during the Persian Wars: Low taxes that were used for infrastructure, local rulers in the conquered areas, religious freedom, no slavery...

Conclusion: Persia>Greece, but I think that changed at some point.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's an anomalous symbol of some sort. I first saw it on a deviantART signature. Some people use it as eyes that fire lazer beams from them.

Then I tried googling it.

It's one of the evil parts of Unicode - excessive diacritical marks of some sort. I've seen some pretty frightening pieces of text out there.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Persia during the Persian Wars: Low taxes that were used for infrastructure, local rulers in the conquered areas, religious freedom, no slavery...

Conclusion: Persia>Greece, but I think that changed at some point.

Greece has better booze.