Humor Random Comments Thread

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've never really been a person who focused a lot on lyrics*. IMO, the best part is the melody and voice.

*sometimes, I did, but not that often

Fair enough, and I agree on most counts. But some of the Vocaloid pieces out there certainly beat the (generally speaking) shallow, meaningless and unrelateable lyrics the radio spews. (Subjective, of course - enough people seem to like those, and we're hardly typical people as far as taste goes.)

And some people would like to add the caboose to the list of best parts, apparently. :lol:

Mattyv

Rocket Scientist in Training
Reaction score
The College of Engineering extending a warm welcome to prospective students:lol:

IMAG0042.jpg

Last edited:

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
The College of Engineering extending a warm welcome to prospective students:lol:

IMAG0042.jpg
Welcome back, Matty:)

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

And some people would like to add the caboose to the list of best parts, apparently. :lol:
Damn right!:cheers:For a hologram, that little gal sure can shake it:thumbup:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I don't know guys... If I were to get hung up on an animated character, I think I'd choose Dr. Ross from Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

Or maybe Lana or Cheryl from Archer (of maybe Lana and Cheryl, but I don't think Lana would go for it).

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Worked fine here. Even raised a smile :p

I might have to do a 'turn back now!!' on the whiteboards in our meeting rooms :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Sometimes I think, that the people who develop Java try to make it a more infamous version of C++:

• If you try to access a file inside a .jar archive in Windows, it ignores capitalization.
  • If you try that in UNIX/Linux, it cares for capitalization and makes silent errors.

Why can't they make the behavior in their own file format really operation system independent? Why let even such kind of existing code be legal?

Is a bit annoying, if you have a logger configuration file (log4J2.xml) working under Windows despite you having done a small error (Log4J2.xml), while under Linux, the configuration is not found and only default logging is used.

Last edited:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Sometimes I think, that the people who develop Java try to make it a more infamous version of C++:

• If you try to access a file inside a .jar archive in Windows, it ignores capitalization.
  • If you try that in UNIX/Linux, it cares for capitalization and makes silent errors.

Why can't they make the behavior in their own file format really operation system independent? Why let even such kind of existing code be legal?

Is a bit annoying, if you have a logger configuration file (log4J2.xml) working under Windows despite you having done a small error (Log4J2.xml), while under Linux, the configuration is not found and only default logging is used.

Sounds like a good excuse for me to give up on Java and focus on C(++)... :rofl:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Sounds like a good excuse for me to give up on Java and focus on C(++)... :rofl:

I wish I could do that that easily. :lol:

But first of all, Java still has some many advantages, especially if you like programming Rich Clients. Second, programming Java pays my extremely expensive hobbies. :cheers:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I saw our Gary tweeting about crappy rail services in Kent. Is it really THAT bad in Britain? :huh:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Put some memory in my computer over the weekend, upping it to 2 GB. The difference is quite impressive:)

I have 16 GB now. And still no software to use it. :lol::lol::lol: I hope for paraview.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

I saw our Gary tweeting about crappy rail services in Kent. Is it really THAT bad in Britain? :huh:

Yes. By all that I have heard and what I learned comparing it to German rail... yes. German rail is already annoying, but generally works if you adopt to its quirks. It is not the Swiss Rail.

MattBaker

Reaction score
I have 16 GB now. And still no software to use it. :lol::lol::lol: I hope for paraview.

Is there some software in your kind of work that uses up this much?
Because I've never used more than 6 GB...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Is there some software in your kind of work that uses up this much?
Because I've never used more than 6 GB...

Yes, many kinds of software. Alone the CFD solvers are happy with more, regardless which kind of more. More CPUs, more RAM, more GPU, more network, more HDD...all more. And already the preparation of the data for the simulation can be very hardware-demanding, like generating the voxels or partitioning the model volume for the number of CPUs.

And the post-processing software, like EnSight or Paraview can also be pretty demanding, depending on the size of the simulation results.

The current workstations here have Linux, 2x Hexacore CPUs, dual Quadro GPUs and 48 - 96 GB RAM.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
My friend's computer is a AlienWare with 16 GB. Nobody really needs that much memory, but it's nice to have:)

My desktop (Acer Predator) also has 16GB. No one program has even scratched the surface yet, but I can have a few machines going in Virtual Box and not bat an eye. :thumbup:

Linguofreak

Reaction score

Probably it's trying to be consistent with the way the system it's running on deals with files (Windows ignores capitalization, Unices have case-sensitive filenames). I suppose they could make it always case sensitive, but then you'd have some Windows developers finding that their code broke when they jarred it. Or they could make it always case insensitive, but then you'd have the potential for stuff to break if extracted from a jar on a *n?x (plus, Java itself is case-sensitive).