VrOro7v.jpg

No kidding !
smoking_01.gif

broken%20and%20unreadable%2031.jpg

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
LOX, the only thing I worked with in the NAVY that truely made me nervous (NAPALM = close 2nd). Like anything else, you are only as safe as the morons that surround you.

MattBaker

Reaction score
"Hey, did you have any breakfast?"
"Well, not that much..."
"You want to get 2nd breakfast with me at 10?"
"Uh, don't I have to work?"
"Nah, if I help you afterwards you're even finished faster than normally."
"And you?"
"I'm not the new guy."

Things that convince me it was the right step to move away and get a new job, this.
I'll slowly evolve into a Hobbit with 2nd breakfast...

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

If mining Helium-3 actually works like described in Schätzing's "Limit" (huge robots, "scooping" up the soil, turn it into its elements by heating, freeze everything again, keep the Helium-3 and throw away all the other stuff) I might just prefer oil and uranium instead of a digged through Moon with all kind of dust and gasses near the mining sites.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If mining Helium-3 actually works like described in Schätzing's "Limit" (huge robots, "scooping" up the soil, turn it into its elements by heating, freeze everything again, keep the Helium-3 and throw away all the other stuff) I might just prefer oil and uranium instead of a digged through Moon with all kind of dust and gasses near the mining sites.

Near vacuum on the moon will cause any gas to virually disappear at instant. Also lack of air makes dust settle much faster. Destruction of landscape is sure, however there is a way to cheat. Mine the dark side. From earth no one can notice. :p

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her

No joke - I used to work in a bus depot where the supervisor would frequently refuel the buses with a lit cigarette in hand, 180,000 litres of fuel behind us in the tanks. When I protested about that he took his lighter and started fiddling around the nozzle with it.

Thankfully, diesel is ridiculously hard to burn. :lol:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
No joke - I used to work in a bus depot where the supervisor would frequently refuel the buses with a lit cigarette in hand, 180,000 litres of fuel behind us in the tanks. When I protested about that he took his lighter and started fiddling around the nozzle with it.

:facepalm:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Thankfully, diesel is ridiculously hard to burn. :lol:

A flamepoint of 61°C is not that hard to light... but yes, usually Diesel has better things to do than to catch fire.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
A flamepoint of 61°C is not that hard to light... but yes, usually Diesel has better things to do than to catch fire.

Not all diesels have the same flash point and, as a feature of the fuel, it will only ignite in the correct circumstances below extreme temperatures. This being one of the many reasons it makes for safer tank fuel - petrol vapourises and becomes explosive under standard ATP; diesel will not. It's quite reluctant to even vapourise in the first place.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Not all diesels have the same flash point and, as a feature of the fuel, it will only ignite in the correct circumstances below extreme temperatures. This being one of the many reasons it makes for safer tank fuel - petrol vapourises and becomes explosive under standard ATP; diesel will not. It's quite reluctant to even vapourise in the first place.

All SAE Diesels should have the same flashpoint within some tolerance. What varies between the various Diesel fuels, is the Cetane number, which is the delay between ignition conditions and actual combustion. A higher Cetane number is better, since it results in much more smooth operations.

Actually, what makes Diesel interesting for tank engines is, that Diesel engines don't mind much about the fuel (A tank diesel engine would run even on dilluted bunker oil, if needed) and run very effective at low RPM.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
"On October 14, 1947, WWII fighter pilot Chuck Yeager made the first supersonic flight in a Bell X-1 aircraft.

Two days before his flight, he was thrown from a horse and broke two of his ribs. Instead of delaying the flight, he hid his injuries and went on to make aviation history.

Last year, on the 65th anniversary of his historic flight, an 89-year-old Brigadier General Yeager flew in an F-15, creating yet another sonic boom over Edwards Air Force Base in California."

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Two days before his flight, he was thrown from a horse and broke two of his ribs. Instead of delaying the flight, he hid his injuries and went on to make aviation history.

What he did that night (according to his autobiography) is even crazier: He got completely smashed partying with his friends afterwards, and then, with those two broken ribs and who knows what kind of blood alcohol content, took his motorcycle (sans headlight) out on a dark country road and made his best attempt to break the sound barrier again. He wiped out on a curve, and then, when his friends caught up to him and pulled the bike off of him, he got back on his bike and zoomed off again.

It's a wonder the man has lived to see 90.

Phusion

Reaction score
Well, I am finally starting on Earth-Moon-Earth transfers. I am halfway to the moon at this moment.

PS: Now in orbit around the moon.

Last edited:

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hehe... Seven kilometers of copper wire... At least a usable ping for online games...

3034558660.png

Yep, "Das Internet ist für uns alle Neuland".