Humor Random Comments Thread

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
BpNKmyCIQAEwwA2.jpg:orig

...wait, that American sport known as football has tactics that requires a coach!? :shifty: :rofl:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
...wait, that American sport known as football has tactics that requires a coach!? :shifty: :rofl:

Well, only one does the thinking and the rest executes in physically demanding, but intellectually simple tasks... sounds fair. :lol:

MattBaker

Reaction score

I honestly think the average football player knows way more tactics from the top of his head than the average soccer player. Because in one of them you can actually coordinate attacks in exactly the fashion you want them to. Same goes for basketball or handball.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I honestly think the average football player knows way more tactics from the top of his head than the average soccer player. Because in one of them you can actually coordinate attacks in exactly the fashion you want them to. Same goes for basketball or handball.

I doubt it. American Football is a very static sport. You have an initial offense tactic, which you communicate to your team. Your opponent has a equally a defensive tactic, which first of all consists of taking the initiative from the offensive team. And then you play it by the book and the book ends with three outcomes: The ball passed into a hole behind the defense and somebody runs for his life to get to the touchdown, you got stopped but kept control of the ball or you had been stopped and lost the ball.

Football/Soccer or Rugby are much more dynamic there for example, because the situation changes quickly and you need to read a game while being inside it. The German match against England during the 2010 world cup is a great example there how the differences are between static and dynamic tactics. (And an example why Fabio Capello is a greatly overrated football coach)

Yes, there are really bad examples of football tactics. Cattenacio is really ugly and static. But effective against teams that rely too much on trained motions and lack dynamic. German football learned a lot from Cattenacio (The Libero position for example, which many great German football players played) - but the key to win was always to interpret it much more dynamically and offensive than its Italian inventors.

And the win of Italy in 2006 against Germany pretty much showed well, that defence much not be static at all. German commentators quickly shouted Cattenacio... and it was everything but that. It was a strategic lesson.

Last edited:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him

Despite the stereotype, it is a very tactical game. Essentially, if association football is Real Time Strategy, then gridiron football is Turn Based Strategy. Being a successful coach, or quarterback requires quite a bit of intelligence.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Despite the stereotype, it is a very tactical game. Essentially, if association football is Real Time Strategy, then gridiron football is Turn Based Strategy. Being a successful coach, or quarterback requires quite a bit of intelligence.

Not sure if this applies to the Quarterback... but the team of trainers does sure need it. But even Manning is no Beckenbauer. :lol:

(But Manning at least knows how to shut up and not talk :censored: )

Last edited:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Slightly random-The LA Kings Twitter account is awesome.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ah yes... looking at the price, it makes sense that our computer didn't have a hard disk... :shifty:

very, very random: I just rewatched a lot of Tex's orbiter videos to keep the kid quiet, including this jewel:

[ame="http://vimeo.com/1530266"]http://vimeo.com/1530266[/ame]

:hailprobe:

Videos didn't yet get uploaded in HD back in those days I'm afraid...

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
1/2 vacation day. Logged another 1.1 this morning. Clouds were overcast, ceiling 1,600, 100' above traffic pattern. So, today was takeoff & landing practice. 9 landings total. Instructor asked if I had to go back to work. I said yes, he said "You're gonna be wiped out. You can't do 9 landings (first time doing landings) and not be." His wisdom, unfortunately, was correct.

It was worth it though. First couple of landings were all over the place, but I started to get the hang of it, despite having a nervous death grip on the yoke. After the ugly first one, I wasn't sure how the morning was going to turn out. I guess you could say it was....wait for it....touch-and-go there for a while.....

MattBaker

Reaction score
soyuz-t-13.jpg

Best spaceflight picture ever.

"Whoa Viktor, my head hurts. What did we do yesterday?"
"I dunno Vladimir. Wait a minute, are we in space?"

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score

Perhaps it's just me, but I prefer watching people giving other people concussions, than some dude fake a fall, and moan about it for days.

Enjoy your 0-0 tie :p

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Welp, that explains the smell coming from the baggage compartment....

a2aBodies2_zps27fde284.jpg

Last edited:

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
There is nothing more relaxing than astronomy on a warm summer evening.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
"The simple, yet addicting nature of Tetris still has me playing it a few times every week”
-Alexey Pajitnov, creator of Tetris