Humor Random Comments Thread

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
yesyesyes.png

My army, for unleashing when either Orbiter Galaxy or the G42 get finished.

EDIT: Awww, shrinkage. Oh well.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In other news, Spaceway universe generator have been released again.
Details here: http://s-way.sourceforge.net/main.eng.html
Another wonderful program I can barely use simply because my poorly-designed numpad has an = instead of a +. :dry:

Fantastic program, though. It looks like a lot of work was put into this version (and the whole thing.)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Lesson learned: When using a cutter blade on a Dremel tool, always wear safety goggles! I was trying to cut a piece of plate aluminum and the wheel caught the edge and split into three pieces, each firing away from the mandrel at very high speed. One piece left a welt on my chest through my T-shirt.

Fortunately, I was smart enough to wear goggles, else it could've been a very bad day!

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Another wonderful program I can barely use simply because my poorly-designed numpad has an = instead of a +. :dry:
Easily fixed, try 100830.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
One piece left a welt on my chest through my T-shirt.

Ha, that was an everyday expieriance when I was still working as a toolmaker. Gogles are definitaly a live-saver!

Linguofreak

Reaction score
As far as I can see, it is pretty far away from Ground zero. How much of Manhattan do you want as sacred ground?

I can understand that you don't want a mosque on Ground Zero. It would be really a pretty insensitive decision. But 400m away is a pretty long distance in Manhattan.

Well, the major issue, as I see it, is that the property is available because debris from United 175 hit the building occupying that property, leading to its abandonment and eventual sale due to the damage caused. The property is, in effect, its own ground zero.

If the property itself hadn't been hit, I'd be uneasy with, but open to a mosque/Islamic center/whatever on the site. (400 meters is fairly far, but still within the height of the trade center towers from Ground Zero). And, in fact, if this complex were to be built on an adjacent undamaged property, I'd feel about the same. The fact that the existing building was damaged in the attacks is what makes it a real no-go for me.

-----------

In any case, to stay on topic, a random comment:

I managed to get my Linux laptop logged in on the university wireless network here. Yay!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The random comment for today:

orbiter.png

Well, the major issue, as I see it, is that the property is available because debris from United 175 hit the building occupying that property, leading to its abandonment and eventual sale due to the damage caused. The property is, in effect, its own ground zero.

If the property itself hadn't been hit, I'd be uneasy with, but open to a mosque/Islamic center/whatever on the site. (400 meters is fairly far, but still within the height of the trade center towers from Ground Zero). And, in fact, if this complex were to be built on an adjacent undamaged property, I'd feel about the same. The fact that the existing building was damaged in the attacks is what makes it a real no-go for me.

I think you forget one tiny aspect though: For 9 years, no US patriot was willed to turn this building into his personal 9/11 memorial site. It is left for rotting around since then. Why not ask Glenn Beck if he would be willed making a better offer for the estate? :lol: He should have the money in his petty cash.

Maybe I am missing something there, but when I was a child, in the glorious 80s, I developed the prejudice that the USA are not only transpiring freedom into the world, they are also always thinking big. if some religious would build their temple in the USA, it would always have to be the biggest and greatest and best temple in the world. That was being American. Always on the slim edge between proud boasting and going way over the top. Maybe it would have been smarter for the Muslim group to design something that dwarfs the Blue Mosque and has a huge American flag on its front. With a drive-through praying room.

Today, the USA sound a lot like the Germany of my childhood: you can't do that, that can't be permitted, this must be illegal, couldn't it be done a bit smaller, that is unconventional, ...

Maybe 9/11 caused this change in mentality. Which is already a big victory of the terrorists. A single day was enough to make the USA disassemble slowly. Starting with the mind, eroding the constitution to a meaningless sheet of history, ...

andysim

Reaction score
Help! giant spider in my room!.:embarrassed::confused::uhh::uhh::uhh:

E

ex-orbinaut

A woman who owns a crafts shop in Quito told me of an experience that she had several years ago, and described it as “creepy”. The shop sells to tourists artefacts made by the various native tribes indigenous to the Amazon fringe of Ecuador. These tribes, Hoarani, Cofan, Jivaro, and such, have generally shunned civilization and its trappings despite years of attempts to approach them (mainly missionaries), and their one concession is that they will go as far as trading their goods, which are mainly hand carved wooden stools, blowpipes, bows, and spears. What they get out of it, I don't know. Being left alone, I suppose, and its off topic, anyway.

Very suddenly, one settlement started supplying a novel type of carved wooden seat, with a high back and armrests. What was even more curious was that there was a small hollow in each arm rest. Somewhat baffled by the odd change in customs, they were asked upon the next contact what these new seats were all about, to which they replied they had found them in the jungle, and later guided a small expedition group to the site of an old, crashed passenger aircraft. The hollows were the ashtrays.:uhh:

Anyone heard of anything like this?

E

ex-orbinaut

You mean cargo cults? :lol:

Well, have you?

Read, heard, seen on the net?

It was the reason I referred the story (as told me) to a broader group. As the woman was unable to supply any info on the aircraft type or the line, it struck me as a bit apocryphal.

Incidentally, this woman is from the USA.

E

ex-orbinaut

Oh my god it's September. :facepalm:

;)

Imagine that. Nothing better to do with my life than post crap here, just that with me its only for a week* that can't go quick enough for me, either. Hey, got your stand up show yet? Your ratings must be rocketing Soyuz style by now! :lol:

* Not completely true. Have lots to do, so, please "Go in peace".

:cheers:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
How to convert raw human stupidity into energy?

For example, what if we place spinning handles, connected to generators, sticking out of walls in big shops, with a colorful advert near them telling that if you turn the handle a dozen times you could win a free dollar?

Any ideas with higher efficiency?

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
How to convert raw human stupidity into energy?

For example, what if we place spinning handles, connected to generators, sticking out of walls in big shops, with a colorful advert near them telling that if you turn the handle a dozen times you could win a free dollar?

Any ideas with higher efficiency?
Instead of telling them "a dozen times", tell them the chances increase exponentially. (And of course,the chance would be fixed at zero)

Also: not stupidity, but they do have crowd farming, where the motion of people walking on special floors, or the vibrations of sound on wallpapers, generate electricity. I wonder if they could put generators inside prayer wheels? It might be costly to make a lot of them, and wouldn't leave much space for the prayers, and be harder to turn. But would be awesome. :thumbup:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I love my local radio station - they played the movie theme of "Das Boot" (the original, not the crappy techno version) this morning.