Humor Random Comments Thread

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I now have Orbiter running in Linux, under Wine, with no complicated extra steps.

Only thing is, the frame rate is about 5 FPS :(

Can you list the whole shebang? (linux distro, wine version, orbiter setup & mods, computer specs...) Curious to see the comparison there.

I found that it ran about the same under the latest version of wine on Kubuntu as it did on Windows 7, save for the issues with not redrawing the DGs virtual cockpit readouts correctly. It was still usable with MFDs though, so no complaints here.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Can you list the whole shebang? (linux distro, wine version, orbiter setup & mods, computer specs...) Curious to see the comparison there.

I found that it ran about the same under the latest version of wine on Kubuntu as it did on Windows 7, save for the issues with not redrawing the DGs virtual cockpit readouts correctly. It was still usable with MFDs though, so no complaints here.

Kubuntu 14.04
Wine 1.6.2
3.5 GHz
2 Gb RAM
Vanilla Orbiter (just installed it the other day, want to work the Wine bugs out before I put too much investment in ;) )

I even turned off all the visual effects :(

Unstung

Reaction score
11 liters/100 km? Geez...And they need hybrids?
I read some time ago about a Honda motorbike that did 70km/liter. Might have been on this forum actually.
If you drive in the US, you would notice plenty of larger cars on the road, particularly SUVs and trucks. Compact cars are much more popular in Europe which is where the discrepancy comes from. Locations in Europe are closer, fuel is more expensive, and there is a different attitude towards cars.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If you drive in the US, you would notice plenty of larger cars on the road, particularly SUVs and trucks. Compact cars are much more popular in Europe which is where the discrepancy comes from. Locations in Europe are closer, fuel is more expensive, and there is a different attitude towards cars.

Especially... its huge oversized SUV with extremely poor engine technology in which usually only one person is sitting, while the car is standing in another traffic jam.

Its more surprising that the new cars dropped below 10 liters/100km by that standards.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Signed up for the Society of Flight Test Engineers 2014 Southwest Symposium next Friday.
Will be visiting Lockheed's F-35 assembly line and simulator, checking out the symposium featuring Lockheed, SpaceX, and Bell Helicopter, attending a NASA luncheon, and of course going to the airshow on Sunday.
AIAA membership, SFTE membership, and event registration are all really inexpensive to students, and AIAA is paying for our hotel stay.
Pretty darn excited.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Learning to braid my hair... how can that be sooo hard?

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Indeed.
picture.php

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So my son is learning how to kill kerbals the right and wrong way to put rocket stacks together.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
There is no right or wrong way to assemble a rocket. You just change how fast it blows up.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, let's put it this way. I've already seen him:

* Launch an intact core stage out of a massive explosion and fireball on the pad.

* Launch a command module into the upper ionosphere while having no less than forty components twirling and zipping around in every vector conceivable.

When this kid is in charge of launch commit criteria, I swear he pulls off a successful launch, but the exclusion zone should be measured in hundreds of kilometers.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Two nights ago (I think...), I saw the largest shooting star of my life. I'm kind of crazy busy currently, so I forgot about it again... But the thing was BIG, a veritable fireball, visible for I'd guess about 0.7 seconds. It passed to the north, travelling from east to west (observer sitting pretty much in the dead center of Bosnia). I halfway expected to hear a distant rumbling a few seconds after it burnt out.

Anybody has an Idea what object that was?

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Two nights ago (I think...), I saw the largest shooting star of my life. I'm kind of crazy busy currently, so I forgot about it again... But the thing was BIG, a veritable fireball, visible for I'd guess about 0.7 seconds. It passed to the north, travelling from east to west (observer sitting pretty much in the dead center of Bosnia). I halfway expected to hear a distant rumbling a few seconds after it burnt out.

Possibly this?

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

Perspective:
picture.php

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score

I don't have time for a full explanation right now, all I can say is: make sure you destroy the object before it unscrews, or at least kill the monsters with gunfire before they erect their peculiar spinning mirror. It is vitally important that they not be allowed to set up their equipment.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Possibly this?

Nope, it wasn't that long ago, and it was in the evening, not in the morning... I tend to not be sitting on the balcony and smoking at 5 in the morning. So this wasn't the first of that size. What nefarious plans are behind this? Then again, the situation here can't possibly get much worse because of an alien invasion.

Last edited: